Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Triton / GMC liquidation

Hi all,

I've been researching old threads and had finally made the decision to go for a Triton workstation to mount a triton router. The plan was for future expanision with accessories as needed. I rang around for prices or started to only to be informed that GMC who own them have gone into liquidation. I knew GMC owned them but was going to buy the triton anyway. Not surprised GMC have gone TU.

Anybody care to suggest where to go from here? I'm happy enough to make my own table. I which case again the question is what Router? If I can get a Triton is it worth the risk of not getting support (apparently a risk at the best of times). I believe they don't go wrong much and there may even be deals now.

Anyone know what's likley or even rumoured to be happening to Triton? Someone else going to buy them? Only been in Oz for 4 years but they seem like a national institution.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Cow

My husband bought a triton router table some time ago second hand from a workmate. He has used two different Makita routers in it, with great success, one 1/2 inch, and a 1/4 inch I bought him later. It doesn't really matter what router you use on the Triton tables, but obviously the Triton router would fit in more easily.

I bought him the Triton Worktable last Christmas and he only had a sad old small B&D circular saw, which fitted in nicely. A couple of weeks ago, there was throw out stock at Bunnings from which I bought the last Triton 235mm circular saw. Obviously, no warranty because of the demise of GMC, but at $260 because there was no box, a bargain. It's a beautiful saw, wonderfully balanced, powerful and with a terrific 3mm blade.

So, if you really want the gear, there are two possibilities - check for second hand goods, because the tables are pretty solid, or scrounge the stores for remnant stock of Triton. From my point of view, the likelihood of needing warranty is very low with these power tools.

The whole sad saga of Triton is very well discussed in the Triton forum, but because Triton is such a respected specialty maker, I would expect it to be sold to another group which would continue manufacture sometime in the future.

Cheers
    LiliB

Why not make an offer to HH?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=79650

He might even drive them to Perth for you

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    Hi all,

I've been researching old threads and had finally made the decision to go for a Triton workstation to mount a triton router. The plan was for future expanision with accessories as needed. I rang around for prices or started to only to be informed that GMC who own them have gone into liquidation. I knew GMC owned them but was going to buy the triton anyway. Not surprised GMC have gone TU.

Anybody care to suggest where to go from here? I'm happy enough to make my own table. I which case again the question is what Router? If I can get a Triton is it worth the risk of not getting support (apparently a risk at the best of times). I believe they don't go wrong much and there may even be deals now.

Anyone know what's likley or even rumoured to be happening to Triton? Someone else going to buy them? Only been in Oz for 4 years but they seem like a national institution.
    Hi Cow, welcome aboard!

I have the Triton router table and the Triton router (I guess you are referring to the Triton Router Table to mount the router in, and not the workstation [table saw]??). If so, I would recommend making your own router table. It may only be a little more expensive, but the quality and pleasure you will get out of it will be much, much more.

As an example of it being 'not quite there yet' as far as quality goes, have a look at my thread here. If I was to start again, I would build my own table using components from Professional Woodwork Supplies (they have a website, just Google 'em). I will build one some day, but for now, the mod in my link will do.

On the other hand, the triton router is an absolute pleasure to use, especially in a table. I wouldn't have any concerns buying the Triton router in the current climate of Triton ownership, surely someone will pick them up. I only bought my Triton router 3 or so weeks ago and couldn't be happier!

Have fun!
    Nathan.

Just bought a second Triton 1400watt router today (thanks Ubeat), to join another 1400 & the 2400 in the shed. In the current climate, I wouldn't expect to see many 'bargains' at the retailers, maybe if you were buying a semi load from the warehouse you'd get a deal

Default Thanks

Thanks for the fast replies and advise. I'm sure you are right about Triton being picked up. I'll look for some stock left in the shops.

Cheers

Hi Cow

My understanding is that GMC is in receivership, not liquidation, and they are trying to sell the businesses or trade out of difficulties. It may survive.

I have had a Triton 3 for 25 years and have never required support. Its a pretty robust appliance (except for the yellow paint) so I do not think that is a major problem.

At worst, you may have lost your warrantee on the router but that's not a really big deal - most other brands of router will fit a Triton. My Makita router dates from the days before Triton sold routers.

Merry Christmas

Graeme

Default Hope GMC/Triton finds a "White Knight" soon

GMC is under receivership because it grew too fast and had to borrow too much money before it's planned listing on the stock exchange.

Bunnings had in Mar 2008 signed an exclusive dealership with Ryobi (Techtronics) and of course that has to affected GMC/Triton sales to & through Bunnings.

It seems that GMC is wounded by a planned attack by a foreign competitor (=Ryobi) so Aussies in this forum should be supporting GMC & Triton by buying more GMC and Triton products in order to help GMC/Triton get finance (buyer or partner) and recover.
    Reuel

Quote Originally Posted by reuelt View Post
    GMC is under receivership bacause it grew too fast and had to borrow too much money before it's planned listing on the stock exchange.

Bunnings had in 2007? signed an exclusive deaalership with Ryobi and of course that has to affected GMC/Triton sales to & through Bunnings.

It seems that GMC is wounded by a planned attack by a foreign competitor (=Ryobi) so Aussies in this forum should be supporting GMC & Triton by buying more GMC and Triton products in order to help GMC/Triton get finance (buyer or partner) and recover.

Maybe you are right. But from my perspective the real problem is they tried to follow the now floured Harvard Business Model. At the end of the day, we all have to settle our debts.

Many companies were great paper shufflers that actually produced nothing. The Triton brand actually produced something tangible.

Unfortunately GMC followed the Mike Gore , Chris Skase, Allan Bond, Havard Business School model. If GMC had stuck to their original plan, maybe they would have survived.

Ps. For mthose of you that do not know Mike Gore he was one of the original White Shoe Brigade on the Gold Coast. He was the mastermind behind the Sanctuary Cove Development.

On the weekend I was actually at a Xmas partfty on the water at one of the original homes of Mike Gore who is the father of Craig Core who did sponsor the F1 driver Will Power.

Bunnings (Cairns) are off loading GMC stuff at throw away prices. By throw away prices I mean they are so cheap even if you only get a years work out of them before they die you can throw them away. eg. electric plane $20, detail sander $20.

They're not throwing out triton stuff yet.
    If it goes against the grain, it's being rubbed the wrong way!

Default Was/Is the ACCC blind?

The ACCC aproved the Bunnings-Ryobi exclusive deal in Mar 2008. Wesfarmers (Bunning's owners) now even control KMART and Target.

As a consumer, I would expect the price of Ryobi Products at Bunnings to be fixed at a higher profit price by Bunnings because no one else can sell Ryobi.
    "If you can find a cheaper price... we beat it by 10%" becomes a lie as far as Ryobi is concerned.

The "killing" of GMC will raise the price of DIY tools - bad for consumers.

GMC/Triton need consumer support.

It is a shame that some Aussies think that they should stop buying GMC and Triton products now. If we do so, GMC/Triton will not recover from administration but will indeed have to go into liquidation.

I beg to differ with STAR,
    GMC founders have not cheated anyone (like Bond or Skates). Their tunover dropped frm $300m to about $150m as the result of Bunnings-Ryobi exclusive deal. Adjustment to lower turnover (after debt refinacing) is all that is required.
    Also Triton sales is "tiny" compared to GMC itself. GMC bought over "Triton" from Hills for only AUD10.5M about 5 years ago.

As aussie consumers we should to out as intentionally buy GMC and Triton to do what ACCC fail to do i.e. To promote more competition.
    Reuel

I have a triton router in a sliding table sold through a number of companies namely CarbaTec and Timbecon. The Triton Router is a fantastic piece of machinery, if I had to go back to another I would get my Makita 3612c constant speed electronically variable which I use for all my freehand and out of the table stuff back into there in a flash. It is a brilliant router but lacks a couple of the features of the Triton for upside down table work.

In the local M10 yesterday - they obviously haven't heard to discount GMC/Triton - at least I don't think so.

The Triton "cold cut metal saw" $249
    GMC sliding compound saw $199

The original question was post by asking if he should bye Triton or not.

Well did you purchase it or not?

build your own, cheaper, sturdier, stronger, as interchangeable as your imagination allows you to go

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast