Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC TTU Build

Have a look through this site for some boat plans http://www.modelpowerboat.com

When I have this build finished, I am going to have a go at the "Wildthing" Mono and put a 26cc 2 stroke in it.

I was just reviewing Rod's Morphy for the millionth time and saw a post by stevejw Indicating the the S-350-48 Powersupply (48VDC @ 350W 7.2Amp) from here http://www.computronics.com.au/meanwell/s-350/ would be a good option. For $61.90+ GST and postage it certainly appeals more than making one. Electrickery is very scary.

So is this one ok?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I was just having a look at some suitable stepper motors for my build, and I'm after some opinions.

My X axis is going to use two 5mm pitch ballscrews with 2:1 pulleys and a length somewhere between 1300~1500mm. Same for the Y, but a single ballscrew about 900~1000 mm.

I haven't decided between a 1.5kw or 2.2kw spindle for the Z, but I guess if I get a larger stepper, I should be right.

I want good speed and acceleration (I haven't worked out exactly what this means in mm per min yet)

Anyway, would 4 of these 425oz steppers , together with this 8.3Amp 48v power supply suit my needs?

Hi John,
    I think what you have selected will work well. I have very similar (497 oz) and get 8m/min although I have detuned this becasue it makes me feel more comfortable operating the machine.

I have used Chris for purchasing motors and can highly recommend him as a supplier.

Are you using Geckos?

Either the 1.5 or 2.2 spindle will work well - the Z axis is the least weight of all the axes but adding more to Z also adds more to X and Y. I don't think the weight difference between the spindles is enough to worry about.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Thanks Rod.

Yep, I have 4 Gecko 251s waiting for me at home (I'm sunning myself at the Gold Coast for work this week - life is tough ).

Apparently the 2.2kw spindle only comes in the water cooled variety. I'm leaning towards the 1.5kw air cooled, even though it only has a ER11 collet. I'm thinking if I need to use a bigger cutter then I'll do that on my mill.

Try not to work too hard there.

I can recommend the air cooled spindle. I have a 800 watt on my machine and it runs cool even on long jobs. An interesting thought is why go for the 1.5kw if it only has a ER16 collet. Reality is you will probably use 1/4 inch bits as you can't use a 1/2 inch in a ER16 collet so is double the horsepower necessary?

I think the ideal spindle would be a 1.5kw air cooled with a collet capable of 1/2 inch cutters.
    Cheers,
    Rod

I see they are 8 wire units, not sure what current rating you can use on the G251's with the recommended wiring on the web site for the BIPOLAR PARALLEL setup. I expect they would draw more than the supplied current figure of 2.8amps as this would have to be rated at the 77Vdc setting?? Is this correct guys, given he would use 48vdc he would either drop the power or run more current for the same power. Check with Chris that the match is fine and he would back the combination as a package before purchase.

I have a 1.5kw water cooled unit and it runs so quietly, the cutter will be most of the noise.

PS Chris is a great bloke, you should have no issues with dealing with him

Hi Rod,

The 1.5kw ones on ebay at the moment have a ER11 collet not ER16. I dunno if they can be supplied with a ER16. From memory the ER11 can take 7mm max which will take the 1/4 cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by seafurymike View Post
    I see they are 8 wire units, not sure what current rating you can use on the G251's with the recommended wiring on the web site for the BIPOLAR PARALLEL setup. I expect they would draw more than the supplied current figure of 2.8amps as this would have to be rated at the 77Vdc setting?? Is this correct guys, given he would use 48vdc he would either drop the power or run more current for the same power. Check with Chris that the match is fine and he would back the combination as a package before purchase.

I have a 1.5kw water cooled unit and it runs so quietly, the cutter will be most of the noise.

PS Chris is a great bloke, you should have no issues with dealing with him
    Ok, now you speak in strange tounge.

I get more confused with the Electrickery stuff than Rod

Your correct ER11 if you buy it from Chai on ebay (Linearmotion2008 i think).

Okay, just ask chris if the motors will draw at 48Vdc more current and whether it will be a problem with the G251's. Looking at the gecko site, the spec says, no more than 50vdc at 3.5Amp. i expect you should not have an issue with this current rating. my only concern is what happens to the motor if they end up pulling more current, will they take it and what is the maximum current they can have run through them. A question for Chris as it's not stated on his website.

After re-reading Chris's web page I notice it says 2.5amp @ 24vdc(chinese board), then it states Bipolar is 77Vdc at 2.8amps. Just ask for clarification on the current of the motor for 48Vdc and that it will not be higher than 3.5amps for the gecko. The simple maths would imply the current is less than 2.8amps @ 48vdc.

Also, then once he confirms the current for each motor, make sure you don't exceed 8.3Amps, which is the rating of your power supply for each axis.

Also keep in mind that the G201 needs +5vdc, now it says the G251 is a mini version of the G201, which implies it also needs +5Vdc as an input, additional to the motor power input. Can the power supply you are looking at also supply +5Vdc from a seperate tap. this would be handy if the G251 needs it. For some reason there is no link to a spec sheet for the G251.

I hope i haven't confused you more. Just post what Chris says and we can try to confirm for you that this setup will suit your needs.

Thanks for that. I've asked Chris to provide some advice on all this.

No separate 5v is required for the gecko G250/G251.

You'll need a logic 5 volts, this means the ground path does not return to a ground path of a power supply. It may run for a while but a small spike would send the 5v up in smoke. Simple way with a tower is to take 5v from a USB.

Daniel

Just when I started to get used to this electrickery you guys go and post all that.
    I am going to go and talk to my lathe.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by seafurymike View Post

Okay, just ask chris if the motors will draw at 48Vdc more current and whether it will be a problem with the G251's. Looking at the gecko site, the spec says, no more than 50vdc at 3.5Amp. i expect you should not have an issue with this current rating. my only concern is what happens to the motor if they end up pulling more current, will they take it and what is the maximum current they can have run through them. A question for Chris as it's not stated on his website.

After re-reading Chris's web page I notice it says 2.5amp @ 24vdc(chinese board), then it states Bipolar is 77Vdc at 2.8amps. Just ask for clarification on the current of the motor for 48Vdc and that it will not be higher than 3.5amps for the gecko. The simple maths would imply the current is less than 2.8amps @ 48vdc.

Also, then once he confirms the current for each motor, make sure you don't exceed 8.3Amps, which is the rating of your power supply for each axis.
    Sorry I made reference to the 24V 2.5A drivers because that is what I bought them for, all the chinese drivers up on ebay where they are limited at 2.5A and 24V mainly.

The motors will draw a constant 2.8A provided the driver does not limit it.

They will work great but the 387 oz-in motors are more suited to the Gecko G251 at 3.5A and just above 50V Max.

Finally found it

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    A rule of thumb estimate is add up all the motor
    phase currents and multiply the result by 0.6 to get the required power supply current
    I wanted to give you a reference about the current as I know I had read it on geckos site before.

Kinda how Xylotex uses 3x 2.5A Motors (normally 2.8A) and I think they are using 5A PSU's now.

So will the 387s have enough torque for my application?

Also, as I'll be running four steppers, will the 8.3A power supply have enough grunt?

For the 425s, it's a total of 11.2A and 14A for the 387s

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast