Quote Originally Posted by Goldenblack440 View Post
Thanks very much for the advice Soundman- you are right, i can forget about the car drivers. I spoke to a fellow this arvo who has much experience on Infinitys. Told me a lot of interesting stuff about them. Mine it seems are 2nd generation (around 1990 vintage)- not as good as the expensive (and better) first generation, but still competant. He said to forget 3rd generation stuff: "Infinity" in name only apparently. He said to repair the existing drivers and put an L pad on the mid (the tweeter already has one), as i could be chasing for ages finding a suitable driver to match the cabinet and port specs. New drivers, BTW, are $300 each! He can do all this plus put some heavier damping in which he said should improve the bass (they had no damping at all when i bought them!) including pickup and delivery for around $200. Attenuating mid and high will of course give the bass more room to emerge. My Techinics Class A amp is also apparently considered very bright, so might have to look at that side as well. Also, some Infinitys suffer from poor room placement positions.

However, now you describe the re-foam process- it sounds like i could easily do it being a car restorer and an ex- RAAF av tech.,, But well, since this fellow was nice enough to give me the time and info, i'll give him the work.

Will let you know how it goes, he's picking up tomorrow.
Smart move. DO NOT spend much money on those old clunkers. They were never part of Infinity's premium range. They were department store (US) stuff only. At the time they were built, Infinity were making some truly exceptional speakers. The Renaisance 90 was my very favourite.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...9_1594crx.aspx

Sorry to be so brutal. I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to these things. I'm also a bit grumbly at how Infinity capitalised on their fine reputation and placed crap onto the market. They'll make a fine workshop, or party speaker. They go loud and reasonably low. They were never intended for critical listeners.

BTW: Way back in the 1970s, Infinity released, amongst other things, some of the finest and most innovative products available. This is how they set their reputation up. Part of that line-up included models such as the POS-### series. I was informed by one of the guys in the manufacturing division, that 'POS' was an acronym for Piece Of S**t. They were cheaply and poorly made and sounded worse.