Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default spell checkers on the board

For those who get so concerned about the incorrect spelling used on this board, do us all a favour, go visit an english spelling board!, the main focus of this board is WOOD WORKING and related topics!

I am sorry but it annoys me at the number of useless entries in the board that take up reading time.
    :mad:
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

spell checkers
    chequers

P

Czechers
    "Looking west with the land behind me as the sun tracks down to the sea, I have my bearings" Tim Winton

When the spelling thing first raised its head, I remembered an email I once received, it was simply a paragraph in which every word was spelt correctly, and could be checked with a spell checker, but, because the wrong word was used, (weather not wether, or whether etc.) it didn't make much sense, but was pretty funny.

I can't find it or another copy via google, don't know if anyone else has it, or similar, but it would be worth posting.
    Boring signature time again!

"OWED TO A SPELL CHEQUER"

I have a grate spell chequer,
    it came with my PC
    It plainly marks for my revue
    Miss takes I cannot sea
    I run this poem threw it,
    I'm shore your pleased to no,
    It's letter perfect in its weigh.
    My spell chequer tolled me sew.

From the polishers bible. Somebody please call an ambulance for Bob Willson, I thinks he is having convulsions.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Thanks Dan, thats it, I hadn't seen it for ages.

Don't worry 'bout Bob, your spelling is real gooder.
    Boring signature time again!

Now lookee here. I only wrote one, count it ONE email about spelling and that was to do with the total lack of knowledge re the various spellings of THARE.

IE They're, there, and their. Meaning (in order of writing) They are, over there and belonging to (somebody).

Learn English. It helps communication

Fini
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

....and commas in the wrong place too!

One book out at the moment deals with the way punctuation changes the meaning.

It's called "Eats, Roots and Leaves"

(Take out the comma and you have a different meaning.... I think this comes from the old joke about a some blokes being like a wombat when it comes to women.)

Apostrophes in the wrong place irritate me too...
    Steve

At work I had reason to worry about grammar, puctuation and spelling. On this forum I am more interested in the subject matter than whether it is spelled right or punctuated correctly.

Carry on the good work, and those who want better grammar etc can go to night school or where ever else there need might lead them.

Macca

Macca

I agree with the sentiment - it's just sometimes hard to understand what someone means because of the way they've laid it out.

It's like hearing news items on the radio where they talk about a car losing control before crashing. (I thought it was the driver who lost control!)

Or better still.... the man was in a car on the highway, which hit a tree - what hit the tree???? the car or the highway?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveI
    Macca

I agree with the sentiment - it's just sometimes hard to understand what someone means because of the way they've laid it out.

It's like hearing news items on the radio where they talk about a car losing control before crashing. (I thought it was the driver who lost control!)

Or better still.... the man was in a car on the highway, which hit a tree - what hit the tree???? the car or the highway?

Sound like you and Bob should catch up with each other, you both have a lot in common.
    Then you can correct each others grammar until the cows come home.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Help, anybody, I am bilding ( ) a wall unit and I need someone to write out a list of materials for me.
    I am afraid if it is grammatically incorrect the bunnies at Bunnies may not understand what I am after or my precise needs.
    Oh, the frustration of it all...........
    I also remember when I was a smart **** 10 year old, went to the local milk bar and asked how many fantales for a penny, two or three replied our host, I'll take three said I before I was told to off.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

It's OK Iain, it won't matter if it is grammatically correct or not as nobody at Bunnies is able to understand the most basic of written English instructions anyway.

Just go and get the bits yourself and then stand in a queue for 1/2 an hour while they try to scan in the items of the bloke in front of you.

OR

Phone up your local timber yard and they will have it waiting for you when you go down to collect it. Cheaper, faster.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

I would have thought with the new version with all the bells and whistles in it, it might have had a spell checker included.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast