Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Danger of ignition?

Just completed a fire place surround but I am in a quandary about what to finish it with. Because the mantle is about 45 cm from where the head from the slow combustion heater comes out is there any finish I shouldn't be using in case of it catching alight.

My initial guess would be that any oils such as Tung or Danish oil would be out but something like Estapol might do the trick.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ivor - the possibility of the oil actually igniting after it dries and penetrates is quite low to negligible. My concern with other surface coating type finishes would be their performance under the heat stress - a problem which someone else maybe able to assist with?

I thought the regs state, that no combustable must be closer than 600mm over a heat source?

I would be doing some research if I was you.
    I wouldnt be too concerned on the finish just yet, no good haveing a good finish if it burns the house down.

Al

The paperwork that came with the heater did say 45cm so that is what it is at the moment. I am going to a bit if that isn't legal.

Have to rip the surround off the wall and jack it up a bit. I suppose it could have been worse and I finished it first then found out it was too low.

Any idea on how you check the regs?

It doesn't have to be 600mm if the manufacturer has tested the unit in accordance with AS 2918 (as called up by the BCA - there's performance requirements as well as the 600mm deemed to satisfy rule). There should be evidence from the manuacturer/supplier of the compliance testing - most likely with their installation instructions and comps. Another option is they may have provided heat shielding to the underside of the mantelshelf (i.e. steel)

I was finishing fire place surrounds for a manufacturer in Brisbane and at their request they were all finished with N/C Lacquer. Most of them were made with Cedar or Pine.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is N/C lacquer??

Nitro Cellulose.....The stuff most pros use, not readily available from the likes of bunnies...