Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cordless impact drill vs. corded impact drill?

I'm in the market for an impact drill for home use (drilling the odd hole in masonry for hanging basket brackets etc.). My initial thought is to go cordless simply because when I'm on my feet, I require a walking stick and an extension lead is just another encumbrance to have to lug around.

Are the non-professional cordless impact drills up to the task? Are the impact roles serious functions, or are they toy-like? Are they worth the money? Would I be better off replacing my old Bosch corded drill with another corded drill? Is there a 'honey spot' when it comes to price/function?<O

Has anyone bought either type recently or have any views on them?<O</O
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have always used tailed tools for impact work as cordless have never had sufficent grunt. However, I am seeing some tradies using expensive cordless Bosch Li Ion units but I can't see anyone justifying the added expense for occasional home use (>$800).

I have been drifting back to tailed tools because battery units simply don't last or perform, but I have to admit the Hitachi Li Ion drill I got for the missus is a ripper and keeps a charge forever (it isn't a hammer unit though).

Interesting points, thanks. $800+ isn't remotely in the ballpark!
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Few others here for less; around $400-500. A good tailed unit is only $100-200

My days of trying to find 'tax presents' are over. I'll be getting a tailed drill.

Regards, Woodwould.

Probably best WW. I've given 3 hard years trade work to a Fein ASB14 and it has not missed a beat. It has the nicest ergonomics of any drill I've used and I can't fault its performance. The hammer function is very aggressive. That being said, the powertool repairer I use and whose opinion I value said the Fein drills are overpriced carp. NiCad has run its day I think, and to replace a genuine battery runs to over $100 and repacking around $70. I've had to get a repack recently. I am also not convinced that the hammer vibration is good for batteries either. So like you've indicated, I'd stick to a corded hammer drill or have a look at the Makita Li drills, and I say that purely from the ergonomics holding one in a shop, very light and nice grip. I have no idea about the quality of these machines.

Cheers
    Michael

My last work place we had a Dewalt 18v cordless job and it was awesome. Just the cost for home use would have been enormous to buy though. My hammer drill is an old Bosch green with tail 650 watt jobby and its been great and works a treat.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Got the Hitachi 18 V Li Ion with hammer. Gave it a test run on brick cause I forgot to drill one last hole before putting the corded unit away. Was feeling too lazy to go back to the ute and get corded drill and extension cord back out. Took ages to do the job.

Next time I will mutter under my breath and pull the corded one back out. The metabo punches thru the hardest bricks I have come across with ease. Handy when u are a skinny runt like me balancing high up on a ladder drilling a hole into a vertical face above head height.

Summing up: in my opinion buy a corded one.
    www.lockwoodcanvas.com.au

I will never be the person who has everything, not when someone keeps inventing so much cool new stuff to buy.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

I'm seeing a pattern here, although, cost aside, I'm surprised. I bought a 14v deWalt about eight or nine years ago and it was a superb drill. Based on that technology back then, I would have thought cordless impact drills would be ruling the roost these days.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Regards, Woodwould.

WW, I bought a Makita 18V LI kit from the states last year when we were in the AS$= US$0.80 region. Kit was 451 metal gear 2 speed hammer drill, 2 3Ah 18V Li batt packs, a 110V 45 min charger and kit case. Cost landed was about AU$400.

I bought this particular unit to complete a set of Mak 18V Li gear that I had, and had a couple of 110V power options already setup, plus a load of matching genuine batteries.

Biggest job so far was 50 plug holes into solid clay bricks with plenty in reserve on the only battery used, I was more than happy. Doubt that it would knock 50 12 mm dynabolt holes into a concrete floor on a single charge, but who knows, it just might.

Whatever you go for, it will be more versatile but also more expensive with a 2 speed gearbox as well as variable speed.

Mal

from my experiance a cordless rotary hammer works heaps better than std hammer drill i have dewalt 18 v hammer drill and a 3 mode rotary dewalt 18v i have drilled 16mm holes into concreate no probs and the drill bits last longer too price not practical for home use

The forum-fabled Ozito Rotary Hammer Drill - $69 (probably $79 by now) has done me well. Hasn't met a brick it couldn't chew through in short order. Uses SDS bits (no vibrating out with hammer action) and it goes non-rotary for those times you just need a chisel.

http://www.ozito.com.au/productinfo....rodid=RHG-550K

I was in the new Totaltools at Hoppers Crossing today and they had a Li Ion Makita hammer drill for $199. Not a bad deal if you really want cordless.

Oooooh!

Regards, Woodwould.

Bunnings have an Ozito hammer drill for $29 with a three year warranty. Home use only. Not the best drill in the world but they have no problems replacing it when I blow it up! I'm now on my third and it has done an amazing job on my massive renos. Good value for money I reckon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast