Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Wd40??

Default Wd40??

hey all i know this is not a smart thing to as but here we go
    ok now this afternoon i stuck some WD40 on my vice

now i wana know has any one used it on ther tools??
    i
    DANGER!!!!
    I'm Dyslexic Spelling may offend!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Gday NZ. I use it selectively. Don't use it on any fine tools (or parts of them) that see wood. I use it on tools that have just been cleaned up out of the electrolysis bath, to 'hold' them for a while until I can clean them and apply a rust proofing coat (usually paraffin wax). I did a #6 about six months ago I guess and just put a coat on until I got time to wash it down and paint it. But I got to like the au-naturale look and its still unpainted and unrusted on the casting so it seems to work.

Cheers
    Michael

Haven't used it on any tools, but the Father-In law uses it for cleaning everything! My personal favourite, cleans the shower with it! Does a great job of getting soap scum off, but the first shower afterwards can be pretty treacherous!
    On a side note, some of the blokes at work have discovered Aerogard does a pretty good job of cleaning stuff up too!

[quote=blonk;887345]My personal favourite, cleans the shower with it! Does a great job of getting soap scum off, but the first shower afterwards can be pretty treacherous!
    quote]

I was reading some discussion on WD 40 recently and some of its uses surprised me. WD stands for water displacement and that what it was originally used for until some of its more enterprising maker's employees were sneaking it out the door for other uses.

However, what did interest me and i have yet to try it as I only saw it on the week end is its apparent ability to clean and polish brass. It was reported to be better then Brasso and it retains that polished look for a lot longer too.

I will give it a go on some old brass I have here and hope it does not melt it.

ps. I do not think it has any preventative rust treatment in it so you might have to follow up with something after you have cleaned it up.

As a turner, I use it on my lathes, chucks and all my turning chisels (unlike mic-d) and also when when cleaning up saw blades, saw tables, etc.

I use it both as a short-term lube (eg. when the banjo starts to stick on the bed) and after I'm finished for the day, as a lube while rubbing 'em down with steel wool to remove any splatter from finishes, sap, resins, whatever.

WD40's not a good rust-preventative, not at all, and only a short-term lube at best. So after rubbing down the lathes (and/or saw blades/tables) I give 'em a spray of Inox, which is a rust-preventative and a long-term lube. Don't bother with that on my chisels though.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

We have a hellishly humid season up here for half the year. I use Inox on all my tools. Its a pita to clean them with solvent every time before I use then but as I can't afford to replace my tool kit after every wet season it will have to do.

Jim

May the mastotermies never find you wood stash.

Just picked up some Inox from Bunnies to give it a try. I was hoping to find that Lanolin-based product that people have mentioned on here (Lanotec?), but looks like they don't stock it anymore.

Incidentally, another thing NOT to use WD40 for.......a mate (who should know better) used it to 'de-gunk' some bearings on his router bits. He assumed that, in addition to all its other wonderful properties, WD40 was a good lubricant The bearings seemed to run real smooth after his WD40 treatment removed all the accumulated sawdust, etc., but of course it all ended in tears as soon as he tried to use these bearings at router speeds. If anything, the WD40 would have removed all the grease from the bearing, leaving it virtually running dry

Glad I wasn't around when the first bearing disnitrigated (similar to 'disintegrated', but with accompanying loud "BANG").

That's interesting, I've used wd40 on my router bit bearings several times, makes them run very smooth and never disnitrigated 'nuffin.

??
    Adam

Supercheap auto have both Inox and Lanox in spray cans.

Michael

Thanks Michael - hadn't thought of them !! I'll drop in to our local outlet next week and see if they have the Lanox.

I already buy a "Rust Dissolver" product from them for use around the farm. It is phosphoric acid-based, and works brilliantly for removing heavier rust. If someone was wanting to recover a badly rusted machine surface, I'd suggest using this product with a coarse steel wool as the first step. Just keep it away from aluminium, as I learned to my cost once.......