Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Building deck without an oil/finish

Hello hello... thanks for such a good source of info... time to ask a few question of my own.

I'm about to fix up the decks at my place. I've got a few options I'm considering but would like to ask a question regarding using hardwoods and not using any oil or finish on it.
    The decks are exposed to rain and sun.

If I redo the entire deck instead of patching the old one, I will have the chance to use Spotted Gum or Ironbark cut from my property, or another option is mixed hardwood from a local timber yard that's closing down ($3.50/mt)

What timber would be best suited for a deck without any finish or oil?
    Are both the Ironbark and Gum going to go a grey colour?
    Will a deck being treated with oil every couple of years really be cost effective in the long run?

I'm planning to live at this place for another 60 years so I'm all for having something that will last that long, but redoing the oil or finish on a deck every year sounds like a bad joke too me...

Thanks for your time,

Jeffrey
    Last edited by newlife; 30th May 2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Rewording

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ironbark or spotted gum would both go grey over time. Spotted gum sapwood has a habit of rotting pretty quickly so I'd try and avoid boards with sapwood in it. You'll need to have it kiln dried if you need it in a hurry too.

You're not a Bradley are you by any chance?

Cheers
    Michael

Thanks Michael... No I'm not a Bradley, but I do know who your thinking of though

Yeah I did think that if I used the timber from my place I would get the sawmill I'm supplying to mill and dry it for me.

Would this be a cheaper way of doing it then buying the $3.50/mt mixed hardwood that a mate could get for me?

Looking at your age you'd be around the era of "The Bradley"... did you grow up in this area?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    Would this be a cheaper way of doing it then buying the $3.50/mt mixed hardwood that a mate could get for me?

Looking at your age you'd be around the era of "The Bradley"... did you grow up in this area?

Cheers
    not sure about that. others who mill timber would have a better idea, expect someone will be along soon to answer...

I'll pm you about the last ?. no point telling the whole world

Cheers
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    Hello hello... thanks for such a good source of info... time to ask a few question of my own.

I'm about to fix up the decks at my place. I've got a few options I'm considering but would like to ask a question regarding using hardwoods and not using any oil or finish on it.
    The decks are exposed to rain and sun.

If I redo the entire deck instead of patching the old one, I will have the chance to use Spotted Gum or Ironbark cut from my property, or another option is mixed hardwood from a local timber yard that's closing down ($3.50/mt)

What timber would be best suited for a deck without any finish or oil?
    Are both the Ironbark and Gum going to go a grey colour?
    Will a deck being treated with oil every couple of years really be cost effective in the long run?

I'm planning to live at this place for another 60 years so I'm all for having something that will last that long, but redoing the oil or finish on a deck every year sounds like a bad joke too me...

Thanks for your time,

Jeffrey
    Hi I would sty away from the spotted gum as after cutting it has to be dried for weeks.
    I have an uncovered spotted gum deck that was built with aged spotted gum and its hard work.
    2 years later we are still cleaning and oiling after 2-3 months as the oil goes away with the weather no matter how many coats you apply water or oil.
    We even have some warping at the edges.
    D Hayes