Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Carving Hand Saw Handle

This possibly does not belong in this section, but I think you Guys and Gals deal with this every day.

I am just getting started in making my own hand tools and have just carved a handle for a mallet. I am now going to attempt to make a small Dovetail Saw with a fancy handle. What I needed to know after I have used a small band saw or scroll saw to cut the outline of the 24 mm wood what tools would you suggest to round over the edges, shape the spurs and to clean up the really tight areas.

I would also like to do what i think they call wheating which is the small leaf like engravings on the handle.

Sorry, I cannot put up a photo, but if you can imagine a small hand saw you may be able to interpret what I mean.

Peter.

ps. the reason I put this here was to try to think outside the box I am in in case their is a simpler way then just using rasps, files and sandpaper especially in those tight areas where they will not fit.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

First time I have had to answer my own thread. I was just checking another site and saw an add by Gramercy Tools for a hand Cut saw handl File. It was half round and had a curve to help form the correct curvature of the handle.
    It comes in two sizes Fine and Coarse.

Unfortunately, it said that the FINE is out of stock and the Coarse is unavailable.

It was a UK site, possibly run by an Irishman,

ps. At least now I know that their is something out there in the nether that I did not know about a few hours ago.