Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default hey every body i need help building a carvel hull

hey every body i need help building a carvel hull
    i have wood, nails, glue and tools but it's just the starting off i need help with like positioning the ribs, the stem and the planks for near the shaft i have plans for a steel hull and a wooden hull, is there any one in tassie, or anywhere else willing to show me or talk me through it for free because im a bit short of money,

p.s
    you can reply to my email if you want
    [email protected]

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

send me an email ([email protected]) with the details and I'll see what I can do. Where abouts in Tassie??

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

Default hey

i live in bicheno but at the moment im in hobart, i noticed you live in kettering you may know of a boat called storm boy ex gay glenn built by the wilsons brothers, i have plans for that and a steel boat called waubs bay from bicheno

what size is she?
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

Default re

waubs bay is 60 foot single chined single screw. if i did make this boat it would be made out of just a few sheets of model ply with a good paint job haha. the storm boy is 55 i think but when they were building her the hull profile changed. im going to try and find out more, i'd make its with plank on frames.

come backon here about 6 tonight and we'll chat then

A great investment is a couple of good books.

Two of the best are by Sam Rabl and Bud Macintosh.

This previous thread gives some details ... the question there is skylights ... but the books cover every major aspect of a trad built boat and will provide a ready reference a thousand times during the building process.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f33/plans-stuff-44836

Best wishes
    Michael

heyaman,

I don't want to dampen your spirit but you wouldn't build a 55' carvel hulled boat for under $300K in materials - probably more and at least 10-12,000 skilled man hours. If this doesn't daunt you then as MIK said, one of the best books around on doing it is Bud Mcintosh which you could borrow through your local library.

Your plans should show or discuss rib positions and sizes - if not you can look at the old USL code on timber vessels for scantling sizes. Failing that, take what plans you have to a competent naval architect and have them flesh it all out for you - it wont cost that much and will probably save you a lot in time and materials.

Other books that may help from the library are Boat building by H Chappelle or a similar title by Steward(?).

If you have a bit of timber, maybe try building something a bit smaller, carvel style like a catspaw dinghy (see here http://www.woodenboatstore.com/12-Ca...nfo/400%2D012/ ) as this will cover pretty much most of what you need to know for a bigger boat.

Good luck.

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au

i forgot to tell you im just a model builder, i want to build about a 5ft model of the storm boy, sorry, but maybe one day i'll build the real thing,

We can all exhale again now. Taking on a carvel project is not trivial, taking on a big hull certainly isn't, taking on a carvel build of a large hull when you seemed not to have much background was a recipe for disaster.

A 5' model sounds like great fun. Good luck with it! It'll still be a huge undertaking as doing a proper repro of a carvel build is a lot of work. Still if you do models you'll enjoy the challenge
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Quote Originally Posted by hemayann View Post
    i forgot to tell you im just a model builder, i want to build about a 5ft model of the storm boy, sorry, but maybe one day i'll build the real thing,
    If that's the case,then the library also has a book on building plank on frame models. go to http://catalogue.statelibrary.tas.go...d=MCCBPOF98000. Any library in Tassie can get it in for you.

regards,

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au