Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Which Biscuit Joiner.

Hello everyone.
    This is my first post

I have been thinking about purchasing a biscuit joiner, I have looked at a few different brands/models, but am not sure on what I need to look for in a good biscuit joiner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards Al

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I like my DeWalt, Makita is equally as good. If you want cheap GMC might do the trick - some here have had good experience, I gave up on the one I bought and returned it to get the DeWalt - the slot was cutting out of parallel with the fence and couldn't be made to work right on the others they had either.

The main things to look for are a good, smooth working fence that adjusts and locks in place easily & parallel with the blade, and good dust collection setup. If the path into the bag is blocked with anything the whole unit will clog (the GMC has this problem).
    The Australian Woodworkers Database - over 3,500 Aussie Woods listed: http://www.aussiewoods.info/
    My Site: http://www.aussiewoods.info/darryl/

I also have the Dewalt unit, i have been using this for about 5 years and the only problem i had was when I dropped it, my fault. I got The spare part in a week. and it was easy to fix. great unit overall

hope this helps
    regards Ian
    Some People are like slinky's,
    They serve no purpose at all,
    but they put a smile on your face when you throw them down the stairs.

Default Which Biscuit Joiner

I have the Ryobi which is just a modified angle grinder. Forgetting that, it does really well and has been used extensively to show that it cuts accurately.
    The only complaints are that the biscuit setting 'thing' needs adjustment when changing biscuit size, and the fence doesn't move as easily as I would like. Other than that, bought it at the canberra wood show last year for $80 - so really I shouldn't complain!!

Al

Things to look for in a biscuit joiner:

(1) Reliable and accurate fence. Most have a slightly different design. Others are based on the De Walt which, in a past review, was rated the best fence.

(2) A dust collection system is a must. These things are dirty. Ignore the Grinder add-on types.

(3) Ease of blade depth change. I find the one on my GMC is very hit-and-miss/fiddly.

(4) Placement of on-off switch. Some favour right-handers.

(5) Porter Cable (is the one I know of) can accomodate two different size cutters. This not only means that you cut standard size biscuits, but also mini size, which are good for narrow sections, such as picture frames.

Mid-price machines that get a reliably good rating are the De Walt and Makita (around $450 from memory). I don't do a whole lot of biscuit joining, so just have not been able to justify spending much on one. The GMC I have, at the lower end of the spending spectrum (around $175 from memory), is a clone of the De Walt, and mine has functioned very well to date. Perhaps I have been lucky.

My advice is to buy the best you can afford. It is a tool that could last you forever, if purchased wisely. If I were a serious buyer I'd get a Lamello (around $700). Swiss-made, the original, like a fine-tuned watch, the best. Even Norm has one (Porter Cable must twitch every time he pulls it out on TOH).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I too have a GMC. Have used it a fair bit, considering biscuit joiners aren't a tool which gets used heavily in the first place.
    I dunno if I was lucky ot what, I have found the fence to be quite Ok. Dust extraction is a big issue with all biscuit joiners, again I have no probs, but then I hook a vac type sucker to mine, so chips get sucked out and through a cyclone.
    I would have troubles paying huge money for a piece of equipment which is not designed for extreme accuracy. (do as earch on biscuit joining Vs Dowels).
    Boring signature time again!

I decided that I'd get a slot cutter for my router and use that as the biscuit joiner. Having used that a fair bit on the week, I've come to the conclusion that I need a dedicated biscuit joiner. Probably go with the GMC, if it's crap, I'll send it back.

Grunt
    Photo Gallery

As stated in another thread I used to have a Dewalt biscuit joiner but it was stolen approximately a year ago. I bought a Ryobi as a replacement (thinks nobody will nick this) and it has performed through many thousands of cycles without fault. While it is based on an angle grinder (most are when you look closely) it does have reasonable dust extraction (doesn't clog like my old Dewalt either) and the fence is ok but you have to fold it up to get the thing back into the delightful plastic case.

On balance I'd buy another.

Cheers Dave

I also own a GMC (Genuine Makita Copy) Biscuit Joiner. I have had no problems with this particular GMC product. I have had problems with other products in the range such as the 2400 watt router but have had excellent service returning them for a refund. You also have the option of swapping the machine for another but I prefer the refund.
    I suggest you try the cheap GMC, if it is not suited to your work, take the refund and upgrade.
    As has been said in other replies, a biscuit joiner is not a precise tool and not one for heavy regular work.
    "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

I've looked at the new PC unit's fence and that looks good. I've had a Dewalt for a long time, after wearing a Freud unit out. I've gone 6 or 8 boxes (1000 per) of biscuits so far with it, it hasn't missed a beat. No problems with it so far.

I've got the GMC and I am pretty happy too. Dust extraction is important...

Thanks for all your input guys

Al B