Page 97 of 99 FirstFirst ... 47879293949596979899 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1484

RSG what about a whirlygig on top to allow air flow or pop up vent like on a caravan or side vents like caravans.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Whirly helps, but only minimally.

Main problem is the radiating heat from the metal surfaces. Only way to solve that, is to insulate, either inside or out, with an air gap between insulation and wall/roof.

Alternately, I've heard good things about heat reflective paint (on this forum, if one was to search for it)

regards
    Alastair

There's already a whirly down the back and it only makes it sliiiiiiiightly better.

I've got enough roofing insulation in storage to do something about it if I got serious, but as usual I'm too preoccupied goofing around with other things. I'll get around to it one day

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Whirly helps, but only minimally.
    I found the same thing until I installed vents on the floor down near the floor - this makes a difference otherwise the only volume that vents is along the line between the door and the whirly. Also 2 whirly's work better than one and 3 works better than 2.

Alternately, I've heard good things about heat reflective paint (on this forum, if one was to search for it)
    Our lab at work has done extensive testing of this so called paint. It turns out to be no better than any light coloured paint. Try some white paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

regards
    IIRC, it was ceramic paint; posted by TTIT.

Cross flow vents aligned to the prevailing winds can work well too.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    IIRC, it was ceramic paint; posted by TTIT.
    Yep that was also tested - it was no better than regular exterior paint.

K. Thanks.

TTIT's experience IIRC was with that paint applied to the roof of the turning club shed in Qld, and the result was experienced as very positive cp. untreated. Expect that would've been gal or zincalume.

Sounds like paint is better than bare ... wonder why.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    K. Thanks.

TTIT's experience IIRC was with that paint applied to the roof of the turning club shed in Qld, and the result was experienced as very positive cp. untreated. Expect that would've been gal or zincalume.

Sounds like paint is better than bare ... wonder why.
    Glav is notorious for being one of "the worst heat absorbers" around. While it reflects visible light especially when new, it absorbs infra red and gets hot. Witness to this is trying to walk barefoot on a galv roof. Just the mere act of painting it white drops the temperature dramatically .

Thanks. That was on the 'tuit' list, and will save me hunting around for the exotic stuff.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Glav is notorious for being one of "the worst heat absorbers" around. While it reflects visible light especially when new, it absorbs infra red and gets hot. Witness to this is trying to walk barefoot on a galv roof. Just the mere act of painting it white drops the temperature dramatically .
    You've got me wondering if I've paid a lot more than I needed to now bob! - but then why is it that on a hot day here you dare not touch the underside of a bare iron roof and even one painted with normal exterior paint is too hot to hold your hand against, but once it's coated with the thermal paint, you can keep your hand there as long as you like
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Quote Originally Posted by TTIT View Post
    You've got me wondering if I've paid a lot more than I needed to now bob! - but then why is it that on a hot day here you dare not touch the underside of a bare iron roof and even one painted with normal exterior paint is too hot to hold your hand against, but once it's coated with the thermal paint, you can keep your hand there as long as you like
    I don't know the fine details but from memory the thermal paint goes on a bit thicker? and when one adjusts for the same mass of paint that goes on it comes out about the same.

Oak Harbor On Whidbey Island, Washington USA

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Haven't noticed the most important part of a shed in most pics:

Whats that the room needed to make something out of wood?

The jug or kettle.
    Is that all?
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest until your good is better & your better best.

Why has no one posted their shed since 2012?

Probably too embarrassed about the mess like me, but I work out of mine.
    Here's a few shots of one of my sheds, this is my metal fabrication one, the other is a 6 X 4 metre shed, not quite as tidy.
    DSCF0147.jpgDSCF0148.jpgDSCF0149.jpgDSCF0150.jpgDSCF0151.jpgDSCF0152.jpgDSCF0153.jpg
    Fully kitted out with 6 X 4 Metal Band saw, mini mill, 7 X 12 lathe, 20 tonne garage press, a couple of grinders, one fitted with a linishing belt and wire buff, the other has white and green stones for sharpening drills and lathe tools, 16 speed pedestal drill press, drill storage and other stuff, 20 tonne pipe bender, Bar bender, more storage area, wall mounted tool chest, !200 X 500 steel work bench,fitted with 65mm X 6 MM rhs to take the vise/grinder/bar bender, under the bench is a 180 amp arc welder plus Oxy acetylene set, plus storage for special tools then we have a 250 amp MIG welder. This was originally set up to tow behind a bus, but then number 2 wife left me and had to sell the bus.
    Where you see the fence that side lifts up to become a sheltered area from the rain or sun.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

She's jammed tight [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk