Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sawstop fence problems

I've had my Sawstop for quite a while now and have encountered my first problem.

The plywood rails on the fence need to be tightened at each end. (Overall, it results in a cut that is 1mm out, which is far too much and is far from straight.)

I contacted Brendan but he no longer works for Gabbett. I also rang Gabbett in Melb - and they referred me to an Allen key device sold by Bunnings that will fit through the slots on the bottom sits of the fence.

Not great service from Gabbett, which surprised me. And I can't find the said gadget in Bunnings either.

Any suggestions? This is my permanent rip saw and I want it right.

Jeff

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default rip fence

Hi Jefferson,
    Have you talked to anybody at bunnings, I have never seen anything at bunnings that resembles what you desribe. Bunnings don't carry any ts accessories that I know of. Other than Ryobi gear. I would be searching sawstop USA to see if you there is any other options.
    cheers
    greg

an Allen key device sold by Bunnings that will fit through the slots on the bottom sits of the fence.
    What did the device look like.I was at Bunnies yesterday,and they had alot of different allen key sets etc..Ask one of the guys if you know what you want
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

Jeff

The allen key screwdriver should have been provided with the saw. It is quite long approx 25cm. As well as being an allen key it also has the ball on the end which allows adjustment when inserted at an angle which it is.

From memory you have to tighten the sides in a certain order.

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    Jeff

The allen key screwdriver should have been provided with the saw. It is quite long approx 25cm. As well as being an allen key it also has the ball on the end which allows adjustment when inserted at an angle which it is.

From memory you have to tighten the sides in a certain order.
    Sounds like the Allen key type screwdriver supplied with my Incra LS router fence and Incra 1000SE Mitre Fence, try Professional Woodwork Supplies, they may be able to supply a spare.

I agree that is very poor service from Gabbett, surely they can afford to stock spares at the prices they are charging for a SawStop?

See pages 8 and 9 of the manual. If you don't have the fence manual you can download at
    http://sawstop.com/documents/FenceIn...nGuideV3.0.pdf

At the beginning of the manual it says allen keys wrenches supplied. They certainly were with mine.

I would ring Gabbetts again, maybe Sydney might be more helpful, say you didnt get the allen key screwdriver and maybe they will send you one - they should!!

Thanks guys.

I've spent a good hour or three looking for the allen key drivers in the shed without any luck. It must be there somewhere.

Stay posted.

Jeff

MatK and Fred,

thanks for the advice. The internet version of the fence adjustment is not included with the manual that I have.

It seems that I must take right side of the fence off, then adjust the other. An absolute PITA.

The saw is great, but little things like this really P#SS you off. I am considering replacing the entire side plates with aluminium.

I've just about had enough with adjustments on my saw. I forget the price, but the Sawstop wasn't cheap. Logic tells me that a fence on any saw must be right. If it's not, you don't get accurate rip cuts.

Peeved? Just a little.

Jeff

hi Jeff, i am seriously looking at buying the sawstop this year, i only found out about it before christmas through this forum.
    and as contractor carpenter i feel that i have to buy this product, for my own safety and my employees.

i dont know anybody else that has this saw, would you mind if i asked you a few questions about the quality, model and price?

if not, just tell me to get stuffed, some people dont like to talk about money, i understand.

regards, justin.

Justin

From what I know of Jeff from meeting him and also from his association through the board I am sure that Jeff will be very happy to answer any questions you have about the Sawstop but I'll suggest that you do it via Private Message due to liability issues
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Justin

I have the cabinet saw and am very happy with it. A couple of little niggles but nothing that detracts from the overall design and build quality. Unfortunately some of the pluses come with a small minus like the zero clearance plate adds to safety and use but detracts from dust collection above the table. Also if you add a zero clearance fence to the mitre slide it actually pushes the guard sideways rather than up causing the blade to cut into the side of the plastic guard. This also happens on some other brand tablesaws that I know.

But overall one very well designed and safe tale saw.

thanks for the info mat, which model did you buy, the cabinet saw or the contractor saw, do you have the mobile base and did you upgrade the sliding fence?

I have the cabinet saw with mobile base and 52 inch rails. The mobile base works fantastically - as you would expect for the money. When lowered the saw sits on the ground and is very stable.
    The cabinet saw has only one fence option which in my opinion is very good.
    Very stable, I cant deflect the top end by hand pressure or in my usage. The fence slides smoothly and locks well.
    The saw came compeletely set up with everything square and parrallel where necessary.

thanks for the info mat, the cabinet saw is looking pretty good a this stage.
    i have read an old thread that you have a dewalt dw735 thicknesser.

do you still have it mat?

i purchased one in november 2008, have only run it for a total of 6 hours over a 4 month period. motor is burnt out, do you check the brushes regularly?

sorry if this is off topic for some folks.

Yes I still have the 735. I haven't checked the brushes since I bought it some years ago. Will have a look on the weekend and let you know how much is left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast