Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitro laquer

Default Nitro laquer

Hey guys,

I got a quote for mirotone lacquer today, $39 for 4 litres of the lacquer and $50 for 4 litres of thinner.

Seems like the thinner is expensive to me. Did anyone ever used all-purpose thinners before like you find at Bunnings? Anyone knows if that stuff is compatible with nitro?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Phil,
    you can use the cheap lacquer thinners that Suprecheap Auto and other discount type places sell (about $20 - $25 per 4l) but for the final top coat you should use a good one otherwise I've found that you just don't get the right gloss level (bit dull). I've bought mine from automotive paint suppliers in the past in 20l drums, can't remember how much but it was considerably cheaper than even the el cheapo stuff. As long as it's labelled as lacquer thinners it should be compatible.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

You'll get away with most high level thinners, but they are all expensive. From memory, the Mirotone stuff has a slightly different smell to it, compared with other thinners, but maybe im thinking of something else. If you are using thinners to clean your guns, try gun wash, its cheaper, saving you the good stuff for the lacquer.
    If its $$ per litre you are worried about, consider a 20 litre drum, should be about $90-130 depending on the source.
    Im sure i have a 40 litre drum in stock now that cost $165. Thats $4 a litre.

Hey Phil
    Theyr'e good to you up in Brisbane
    I got quoted around $65 @ 4lt Mirotone Nitro Lacquer here in Adelaide and when I told them I was going to use it for guitar building they told me none of their products were suitable for this
    Anyhow, I contacted Protec here in Adelaide and I managed to pick up a 4lt of sanding sealer and NC topcoat for the same price. Their top thinners to suit $28 @ 4lt
    Ive sprayed a few cars in my time and Ide agree with journeyman Micks comments about using a quality thinner for your final coats

dayvo

Yup! Mirotone thinners ARE EXPENSIVE!!

I paid around $200 (just over, I think) for a 20ltr drum of medium retarder-thinners.
    Cheers

Major Panic

Thanks for the reply guys. Perry, I already use gunwash not to use up the good stuff but it was a good tip
    I think I'll go for the 20 litre stuff anyway. I got quoted 40$ for 4 litres of lacquer and 120$ for 20. Hell of a reduction. At least 20 litres should last me a couple of years. I'll do the same with the thinner.

Default Nitro safety

Hey, while we are talking about spraying nitro I have a few safety questions.
    I read that you have to be careful with venting fans in you spray booth/room as the wrong one can ignite the vapour. Does anyone have any experience with setting up a small booth? Also, I am about to buy some gear and would like to get recommendations about the size of air comp and good gun brands etc. Any help most appreciated.
    Cheers
    Dom

Gday Dom
    Generaly speaking from an electrical view, motors, lights and any electrical devices must have a 'Class 1, Zone 1' rating (ie: explosion proof. It's not designed to keep the gases out, but to keep the explosion in). It's easy to tell if it has this rating by the chunky look of the equipment and the overuse of bolts to hold it all together. If there's a nameplate on it, somewhere there will be 'Ex' stamped on it.
    There are ways around it though... Such as mounting lights external to the booth and sealing them up and purging them with air from a safe zone. Motors for extraction fans can be mounted external as well (in a safe area) with a belt drive to the fan impellor.
    Class 1, Zone 1 equipment would be out of the budget for home spray booths. For example, a normal oyster light fitting would be 50 bucks and an Ex rated fitting about 500 (A guess, but horrendously priced stuff!).
    Using a radio, drill or even a normal extension lead in an explosion zone is big time taboo!
    Hope this helps

Default Mirotone tips.

Hey Guys. Just browsing, and saw a post for Nitro Laquer. Please allow me to share my, and my guitar builder mates experience with Mirotone. First, I know it is expensive, but as an acid catylised laquer, It really needs its its own specific thinners. You can use other thinners, but it will craze. If thats what you want, use it, It works for "relic-ing" guitars etc. The other problem is, Super cheap auto thinners makes it go jelly like in the gun. If you use the correct thinners, then gun cleaner to clean, look out. It will clag up and then you gotta strip the gun. I flush and blow back the gun with M/tone thinners, then do the same with s/cheap thinners, then use M/tone to keep the gun wet when it's idle. Yes...I know it's expensive, but believe me, after spraying dozens of guitars, just use the right thinners. Scraping a guitar back because it's got a crap finnish is boring. I also use a gravity feed gun, it's more economical, and easier to clean Now..3602 laquer is good, but toxic as all get out. 3606 is just as good, and less toxic. STILL TOXIC!! I hope you have a positive pressure mask, booth or carbon mask or a good combination. Also, Protec Nitro doesn't go as hard as an acid cat, it doesn't look as good either in my opinion. Also, if you go too hard with the buff it will drag and is less forgiving.Sorry about that. Also...Hi build sealers are convenient, but they are not totally transparent, and look cloudy, I am a bit fussy maybe but there it is. They also chip "white" and are horrible to repair and touch up, if you have ever tried to fix a chip in a post 1990 Maton, you know what I mean. The best grain filler for Mirotone is a slow cure epoxy resin like Megapoxy by resimax. BoatCote is a rip-off, but excellent in use. Use top coat as a build coat. 6 coats 20% reduced, then sand back with 600 wet, then hit it with a 30% reduced top coat x 2 in one go, and you will see a good result. Dust proof fans with no ingress cavities will work as flame proof fans. But if you wanna be sure, spend the money on a certified fan!! Cheers, good luck, I hope this helps someone. I have been wrestling this stuff for years with guidence, and still get frustrated. Steve.

Interesting post Steve So I guess from your post you usse Mirotone's Acid-Catalyst lacquer? That's a different product than Nitro though.

So I went to Mirotone's office today to get my nitro-cellulose which the lady on the phone reserved for me. (product name:Mirolac) I end up getting a tin of Mirocat (pre-catalized lacquer). I obviously asked the lady what's the deal since I specifically asked for Mirolac nitro-cellulose lacquer. She had no idea what I was talking about. The other guy in the office strarts asking me why I want that and they haven't made that stuff for years and blah-blah-blah. Why the hell is that product on their website if they don't make it!!!!!!

So I ended up leaving with a tin of mirocat anyway. The spec sheets made it look pretty similar to nitro. I guess I'll try that stuff. I have to finish a hardwood desk I just build so it'll give me a chance to try it before I use it on a bass.

Anybody tried Mirocat before? Any opinions?
    And their acid-catalyst one (mirobild)? Anyone use it or like it? (Steve?)

Phil,
    I've used nothing but Mirocat for about 5 years now. I do recall quite a few years back when I asked for NC lacquer (Mirolac) I was told by my supplier that they no longer carried it as most people prefered the pre cat (Mirocat). I"ve also used the acid cure (can't remember which one) as it was specced for a job. Pros and cons of each:

Mirocat:
    Pros:
    cheap (relatively speaking)
    sands very easily with very minimal clogging of abrasives
    easily refinished
    applies very easily
    not too toxic
    smell is not too strong and disperses quickly
    Cons:
    very sensitive to white "bloom" or "blush" if spraying in high humidity/low temp (but easily remedied by warming the piece up in the sun the next day and spraying it with thinners)
    not as hard wearing as acid cure

Acid cat:
    Pros:
    much more forgiving of high humidity/low temp conditions, BUT if you do get blush you'll need to sand back and spray again.
    much harder wearing than pre-cat
    Cons:
    more expensive than pre-cat
    extremely unpleasant, toxic fumes which take quite a while to disperse
    doesn't sand as easily and clogs paper more than pre-cat
    refinishing requires sanding right back

On the whole, nowadays I'm more likely to apply a coating which I know will be easy to eventually refinish rather than one which is a lot harder wearing but which requires considerable effort to refinish. (In other words I'd use pre-cat over acid cure or poly-u 2 pack)

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Thanks Mick,

How would you compare the solidity of the Mirocat film compared with NC?

Thanks for the safety advice Malibu. And to all the other contributors for the handy tips. I read somewhere in here that hard shellac does a good job without the problems with NC. Might try that until I get myself organised with proper spray gear.
    Cheers
    Dom

Quote Originally Posted by zenobia View Post
    Thanks for the safety advice Malibu. And to all the other contributors for the handy tips. I read somewhere in here that hard shellac does a good job without the problems with NC. Might try that until I get myself organised with proper spray gear.
    Cheers
    Dom
    Dom, PaulB has used Ubeaut brand hard shellac on his guitars. PM him for details.

Im going to try the stuff on my next classical.

Cheers Martin
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mailloux View Post

So I went to Mirotone's office today to get my nitro-cellulose which the lady on the phone reserved for me. (product name:Mirolac) I end up getting a tin of Mirocat (pre-catalized lacquer). I obviously asked the lady what's the deal since I specifically asked for Mirolac nitro-cellulose lacquer. She had no idea what I was talking about. The other guy in the office strarts asking me why I want that and they haven't made that stuff for years and blah-blah-blah. Why the hell is that product on their website if they don't make it!!!!!!

(Steve?)
    What sort of service is that?? You didn't get what you asked for and sounds like they didnt really care.

Mirotone off my list of suppliers.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast