Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Incra Original Jig Fence or Woodpeckers LE Fence - which one for newbie?

Hi,

I am a new to router just purchased Triton 2400, and would like to do mostly table work with it, and mostly furniture, but big (book cases) and small (small boxes with complicated joints to practice my routering But suffice to say I am definitely a beginner. I have Triton WC already, but do not want to go with a triton router table, as I have read that they have issues with not being very flat - plus lately its impossible to get, and I have a router sitting on a shelf at home gather dust which is driving me nuts.

I have been looking at the woodworksupplies site to purchase a router table + fence + plate. So far I have selected:

TLR Phenolic Router Plate to suit Triton Routers
    ProRouter Table Top Type A

I know you guys might suggest making my own, but honestly I don't have the time, I want to get started,I will make my own MDF base however.

But what I am trying to determine is whether the Incra Jig + Fence combo (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category62_1.htm) is a good buy, or if the Woodpeckers LE Router Table Fence (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/prod25.htm) is just as good or better. I am especially curious about how well the Incra Jig Fence will even work with the Pro Router table top? The site suggests the LE fence will fit right onto the table top, but I cannot find anything similiar about the Incra one.

I have found the website for the Incra Jig + Fence (http://www.incra.com/product_rtf_fncsys.htm)

The woodpeckers fence (http://www.woodpeck.com/lefence.html) is here.

Would appreciate any advice or tell me where I should look if this is not the right place.

I would like to minimise my expenditure, but I also want to minimise my frustration, nothing dampens my enthusiasm more than crappy equipment - I already replaced my GMC CS (with latest triton CS) in my Triton WC for that reason!

Thanks
    Jason

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Personally I'd buy an incra table from incrementaltools.com which is incra's factory outlet and an ultralite fence. If you choose to buy from teh US get quotes on TOTAL cost from several suppliers. Some like elite are cheap but the shipping is poisonous.

To your question specifically:

I reckon the incra is the best thing since sliced bread. Once it's set up you literally dial up what you want, no measureing no uncertainty, and best of all for me no skill required. The other fence you mention is just a fence. If you buy a full size incra fence like an LS you can get it with the wonder fence which gives you every option you could want, adjustable gap, offset infeed and outfeed and a high work guide.

I don't understand why your buying that phenolic plate. The twist lok is probably ok but I'd be surprised if it's nicer than incras magnalok. Their old phenolic plate is on special here:

http://www.incrementaltools.com/Prod...de=MLPPHENOLIC

it's not just much cheaper it's a really nice plate. As I said though I'd be buying an incra table with the aluminium plate included and a miter track also already built in and done. None are on special right now but the range is here:

http://www.incrementaltools.com/Free..._Tops_s/57.htm

Be aware you can't post anything longer than 41" to australia so the really big one is a bad choice.

I'd be thinking about maybe an LS17super and the 36" table top. Expensive but your buying the very best system you can get, and of course if you ever want to cut dovetails....If money is an issue you can just drill a hole in some mdf and bolt your router to it and spend teh $ on teh fence buying an inseert later.

2c.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - but probably I did not make myself clear - I am buying from an australian website - http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/

The american websites I mentioned just provide more details on the products listed on the australian website. I would prefer not to order from overseas if I can help it.

I will however look at the incra options, but I suspect its going to be too expensive. All up I can probably spend may $560 total - preferably closer to $500. I just can't justify anything more, its already more than twice what the triton router table would have cost.

Thanks
    Jason

As you please. I had an rta300 and while the fence is fantastic the rest of it is pretty ordinary. Mind I don't like sliding tables anyway. It worked well enough but what I've got now is just so much better than the triton stuff it's not funny. Of course what I've got now owes me about $2k and can't be easily transported nor folded away.

I've never understood the reluctance to buy overseas, but it's your money and your choice. Have fun.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.

Hi,

Reluctance is more about the ridiculous postage and potential import duties, I buy books and stuff from amazon all the time, but they are small and generally inexpensive enough to get past customs without a duty being imposed.

Also with woodworking stuff, especially bigger items the potential for damage in transit is probably fairly high and I don't want to have to deal with trying to send it back.

So its really just that I would prefer to pay an australian company like woodworksupplies to do the importing for me )

Cheers
    Jason

That's all fine, but for what it's worth I bring all sorts of stuff in. Incra pack their stuff carefully in sturdy boxes, and if it does get damaged you don't send it back you return it to the carrier and they pay an insurance claim.

I've brought 4 guitars from the US, all arrived in fine condition. Yes postage cost is a factor and I warn people to compare total price rather than just the goods because some vendors charge terribly for shipping, but it's all doable and if you do your sums you can save a packet.

But if you don't want to that's all fine. I'm just offering imformation, not trying to change your mind.

If you consider the incra plastic plate for example it's what $39. I'd guess another $20 shipping. That's about $100AU landed for a top quality plate and they are awfully difficult to damage.

Anyway, all that matters is your having fun