Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The Gary Peck Trio

No, not a new pop group, this is the three pens I said I'd make for Gary in the trade for his Jichimu and Huang Huali blanks. Bright Copper Barons, finished with 4 -5 coats CA/BLO and Brasso polished. Still some issues with the CA/BLO finish for the discerning eye, but generally looks great and goes on well.

Left to right they are Camphor Laurel, Black Hearted Sassifras and Tasmanian Musk. The Musk never seems to photography well, it always shows better IRL. Pictures don't seem to catch the chatayonce and other lighting effects that this timber catches.

Did some playing with photoshop & composition on the pictures too.

Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Very nice! I especially like the sassy!

I've got some musk to turn but I've never bothered before. Having seen your pen though I'm gonna give it a try today.
    "That's impossible. Nobody can give more than 100%. By definition that is the most anyone can give"

Great looking set of pens.

I must agree with Eisbaer, the Sassy does look rather attractive.

Timberbits.
    Direct Importer of pen kits. Lowest prices and largest range.
    Pen kits and pen blanks - www.timberbits.com

Russell
    great effort
    I agree the sassy looks good
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Russell,

By any chance was it the musk that caused the most finish problems, I have turned a few must and BH Sassy pens and both have given me trouble where other timbers don't, especially the musk. The musk is like a sponge and I suspect changes moisture content daily.

I have a magnificent piece of Musk Burl that has been cut for years, but when you break it down into blanks the centre is like it has been sitting in a glass of water.

The BH Sassy has given me trouble, apparantly, due tot he oils within. A very experienced cabinet maker told me that Sassy is not unlike Huon Pine in it's dislike of some finishes.

Mike

How rude of me not to menyion the pens.

Nice work.

Mike

Heh, no worries Mike.

I think they all have similar issues, although the CL which I did first, I didn't notice it. It's the old "some spots really glossy, some spots dull" issue still. You have to be looking right on the highlight in a strong light to see them though. Looking at the pen normally, you don't notice.

This time I sealed the pens with straight CA first, thinking that may help, but didn't seem to make any difference. At times when I noticed spots half way through, adding additional coats didn't seem to matter. Only think I noticed which may have helped (and I can;t guarantee it did) was to give an extra tough brasso rub on that area, while brought everything up shinier.

So maybe I just need to get in with say 6000-12000 MM a bit more when I've finished the CA/BLO instead of going straight to the Brasso, although that doesn't explain why extra coats don't seem to cover over the spots, or why some have extra shiny spots.

Russell.

Russell,

I have wondered if it is using a little too much BLO, I cut right back onthe BLO and it seemed to stop the problem, although if you don't use enough BLO the CA drags the paper towel. I have wondered if the BLO isnt Accelerating the CA, just lubricating it while the friction sets it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Russell,

I have wondered if it is using a little too much BLO, I cut right back onthe BLO and it seemed to stop the problem, although if you don't use enough BLO the CA drags the paper towel. I have wondered if the BLO isnt Accelerating the CA, just lubricating it while the friction sets it.

Mike
    Yeah I thought that too after the last time. I've reduce it to just enough to cover the area I want to rub on, and I wait till it soaks into the paper towels as well before applying the CA. Any less and I'll be catching on the towel I reckon.

I'm still trying to work out the amount of pressure to apply when rubbing. Is it a lot like a friction polish, which it would seem is needed to keep it smooth, or just lightly, to maximise the thickness of the CA layer? I've tried both way so far and haven't seen any noticable different, but am thinking the dull spots have something to do with the way the rubbing is happening.

Russell.

BOOOOOtiful!!!!!!..... thats what my neice said....... and i have to agree.......

The one in dark brown....is that the Sassy?? Well..... that one really stand out cause of the difference in colour......

Like all of them!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by garypeck View Post
    BOOOOOtiful!!!!!!..... thats what my neice said....... and i have to agree.......

The one in dark brown....is that the Sassy?? Well..... that one really stand out cause of the difference in colour......

Like all of them!!!!
    Yes the dark one is the Sassifras. Most of the time it's black streaks. Getting one with a contrast like that particular one was lucky. I saw the change in the blank on the outside, but didn't know how it'd go in the middle. Was quite happy with the result myself.

The musk on the other hand, had some nice swirl on the outside, but not much was left by the time I got to the finished size Still, it has that nice reflectance to it.

Russell.

Russell.

Nice set, where did you get copper barons from? I have turned a couple of Musk pens and found the same thing, looked great in my hand but the photo's just didn't capture the figure in them.
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by corbs View Post
    Nice set, where did you get copper barons from?
    Gary supplied the kits. The nomenclature on the plastic bags didn't help indicate what company they came from.

Russell.

Russell, have to admire the Gary Peck Trio, send them down here for an audition! Amos
    Good, better, best, never let it rest;
    Til your good is better, and your
    better, best.

Thanks Russell, I probably wouldn't have touched them if I saw them in an online shop but they worked well with the woods chosen.

Just read what I typed and it looked a bit abrupt. I meant that I don't usually buy the copper kits unless I have a specific pen in mind.
    Last edited by corbs; 15th March 2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Clarify my intent
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.