Page 66 of 75 FirstFirst ... 16566162636465666768697071 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Yeah, they are sweet little tools, and I lusted after one for years, thinking they would be very handy for some jobs. But I never came across one at a price I was prepared to pay (no, I'm not stingy, ultra stingy would be more accurate ). I considered the small Veritas, but never worked up the enthusiasm sufficiently to splurge, then a few years ago, I made a little solid-bodied woodie, which would be very close to the size of a #2. It is a most handy little thing, occasionally, and it has satisfied my wants, so I got off lightly......

Cheers,
    I've always wanted a 2, but I decided that I wouldn't pay more than $200. I had to wait a fair while to find one at this price.
    I figure that if worse comes to worse, I'd be able to get more money for it than I paid after I tune it up.
    It's an investment (that's what I tell SWMBO anyway )
    I got pretty lucky with this one, it's in great nick.

I'll be using it to smooth and joint small box panels.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default HTPAA Conference and Tool Sale

Attended the HTPAA Bi annual conference for the first time and thought it was a standout day. Great speakers and captivating topics. I particularly enjoyed the surgeons tools session by the College of Surgeons collection curator and the Engineering curators talk on conservation and preservation from the National museum. The tree/timber guy was great too. I think the conference should be held more often and deserves a wider audience than just members.
    The tool sale went well and I had two tables, mostl floggedy duplicates and discard Titans and other chisels from my collecting. Did extra well and will do it again in July. Saw a few formites lurking about there too.

BUT. The big takeout for me was! After years of searching for what seems like for EVER I finally found a Titan 7/8ths 146 (Plastic handled light tang bevel). It was on one of the consignment tables for $4. So what you say? Well, this chisels fills out a complete set of 146's of the "Titan Australia" blade mark. COMPLETE with pristine handles and excellent blades. YES sir bob, all nine of them from 1/4 through to 1 1/2 in eighths. AM I HAPPY?
    AM I HAPPY???? YES I'M HAPPY. This was Monday night show and tell heaven. I am one with the cosmos. I now walk through holes in the universe and talk to collecting angels
    I'm da man!! Lord of all pickers and a Titan god They will write songs about me and future pickers will chant them around camp fires. Locks of my hair will be auctioned on ebay.
    Anyway, I'm glad I found it and I'm almost bald so not much to auction off. Also, I don't really talk to angels. I just hear their voices.Titan plastics 146.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doggie View Post
    ...I don't really talk to angels. I just hear their voices.
    That's not angels voices, that's the devil "Go on. Just one more chisel. You know you want to..."

Cheers, Vann
    Gatherer of rusty planes tools...
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club .

Default The Devils voice

Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    that's the devil "Go on. Just one more chisel.
    Cheers, Vann
    Yes

Well it's nice to see a bloke so happy! And all it took was $4, didn't involve any illegal substances, or cost the Pharmaceutical benefits scheme a cent.

We ought to patent it......

Cheers (from another tragic who likes things in orderly sets),
    IW

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Well it's nice to see a bloke so happy!
    See! and they say that there's no support in this country for the mentally deranged.

Congratulations,
    Paul

PS. Oh ... did they not tell you about the 11/16" one???

Default recent chisel find.

Attended a swap meet yesterday and rehomed some chisels with blue decals on the handles plus a few stragglers.
    The 6 larger fish were purchased early in the day as a grouping and about three hours later whilst rooting through a box of debris I came across the little fish and a nice Addis carver;total spend 30 dollars.
    Two reg mortice also jumped aboard for a 3 dollar fare.
    Also picked up a couple of nice wood planes for another 15 dollars and some saws posted on the handsaw restoration page
    Cheers
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Impressed

Quote Originally Posted by AJOE123 View Post
    Attended a swap meet yesterday and rehomed some chisels with blue decals on the handles plus a few stragglers.
    Tony
    All up, many hundreds of bucks worth in the ebay world. Crazy how a $5 swap meet or flea market Berg can pull ten or more times its weight on the auction sites and dealers. Never stops amazing me. Imperfect market I guess. Knowledge goes a long way.

I've done all right as a kerb-scrounger, but never earned my garage-sale competency badge
    But this morning I stayed at work to cast the hairy-eyebrow over some of the loyal workers regarding finish times ...
    and so happened to see a "Garage Sale" sign in the industrial area.
    That piqued my curiosity enough to go find out it was at a kitchen-building/cab-makers nearby.

$50 later ...

20140823_084821 (Medium).jpg 20140823_084833 (Medium).jpg 20140823_084846 (Medium).jpg 20140823_084858 (Medium).jpg 20140823_084921 (Medium).jpg

Apparently you need three wins to earn the first badge ... fwoooooo ...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    I've done all right as a kerb-scrounger, but never earned my garage-sale competency badge
    Apparently you need three wins to earn the first badge ... fwoooooo ... Paul
    Wooo eee!! McGee. Got a handle on it now. GSCB with knobs on.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggie View Post
    Wooo eee!....... GSCB with knobs on.

speaking of knobs, there's well over $50 worth just in the knobs!

well done!

fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

$_1.JPG
    I have n idea what it is (manufacturer or home made)... but its my first infill. whoooo heee.... slippery slopes indeed.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Default Spokeshave and Saw...

Evening all....
    I havent logged in for a while.
    I picked up a couple of oldies on the weekend. The saw is a sykes which will clean up nicely...might just leave it be.
    The shave though is a mystery to me
    Can anyone identify the maker and maybe a year of manufacture for me?
    Michaelimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    practice makes prefect

That faint writing on the spokeshave is equivalent to the ghostly bits of info I see on my old saws ...
    tantalisingly close to meaningful ...
    obvious even, *if* you find a clear example and put them side by side ...
    What fun!

The saw I think is a Tyzack & Sons ... they were pretty equivalent to S&J in quality and age of the companies, I think.
    There's a fair bit of info online about the company/family.

Cheers,
    Paul

Been a while since I had anything worthy of posting here.

I got a message via FB to check out and let a friend who works at an Op Shop know what I thought something was worth if it was ok etc etc I offered $40 for it not knowing its true condition.

In the box, with brochure, Light surface rust, some sawdust and tighten the handle screw a god clean up its even still got a sharp blade within reason. Made in Uk No4 Stanley.

Sue picked it up at her guild meeting as the Op Shop lady is one of the other members daughters.

One of the other members of Sue's group is clearing out some of her late hubby's books and I scored 4 quite interesting items.
    I have had a quick browse/flick through only at this stage but I think my favourite will be the Recycling Use and Repair of Tools

Interesting also is the Woodcraft Goes to The Opera this is a book of woodcrafters who were in attendance at an Exhibition in 1987 9th to 20th September the list of people who exhibited and their outline is whats in the book. I just noticed the Business sponsors on the reveres side many still around today.
    Attached Images Attached Images