Page 67 of 75 FirstFirst ... 17576263646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1123

Wooden spokeshave in that shape were sold under many brands. They look look very similar and may have had the wooden part made by a common factory to which a brand blade was fitted. Have a look here for a wide selection: http://www.oldtools.co.uk/tools/Wooden_Spokeshaves.html

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Sunday finds.

Look what I found. $1 for the saw and $5 for all the chisels. I bought the saw for the bolts but it looks like it will clean up ok. The titan chisels look good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am learning, slowley.

nice pick up on the titans

Only one was a Titan, the other was a Ward. Plus some no names.
    I am learning, slowley.

Evenin' all.

Nothing to show, not being the camera savvy type, but plenty to crow about.
    A friend spoke, to me some weeks ago about a friend of hers clearing out grandpa's garage. Spidery senses started to tingle...

A month passes and I see said friend who tells me she has a few boxes of old tools from her friend, if I am interested.... If I am interested!?

And so, come Sunday arvo I pop around, exchange pleasantries, compliment her on the quality of the renovations she is carrying out' all the while itching to see boxes of rusty goodness.

Away, in the distance sat three cardboard boxes, rusty gold poking out. I could see a Stanley brace, some spanners and then we had a good look. Yes, a brace, a roll of auger bits, two egg beaters, a 4 1/2, 78, 60 1/2, loads of spanners, 12 hammers, another blow torch (I seem to be attracting them at the mo'), and some chisels. Berg chisels. Six of them, including the 2"! I've been after one for years if only so that I could say that I had one, and here it was, gratis!

I rarely have a haul like this so I just have to gloat.

In rustiness,
    Virg.

Good haul, Virg, and a good gloat - why not? I've had some decent tools land in my lap quite unexpectedly, just a few times in the 50 odd years I've been a wood-worrier, so I know it's not an everyday event. Savor the moment!

Now the hard work begins - cleaning them up.

Cheers,
    IW

Well done Brad. Just occasionally this happens... On the other hand a cousin of mine when clearing out under his old house in Drummoyne for an extension found a lot of shipwright tools - they went in the skip.

Cheers
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Heavansabove View Post
    ..... On the other hand a cousin of mine when clearing out under his old house in Drummoyne for an extension found a lot of shipwright tools - they went in the skip....
    A very distant cousin, because thats the only way something could have been thrown out without you knowing about it until after the fact.

Well done Brad. Just occasionally this happens... On the other hand a cousin of mine when clearing out under his old house in Drummoyne for an extension found a lot of shipwright tools - they went in the skip.

Cheers
    Peter
    Arggghhhh!!! I hope they get termites!

Dreadful that it happened, but even worse that they told you.

Cheers,
    Brad.

Default Down in the dumpster

a cousin of mine when clearing out under his old house in Drummoyne for an extension found a lot of shipwright tools - they went in the skip.
    Cheers Peter
    i've heard some horror dumpster stories in my time and only a few "dumpster rescue" yarns. At the tool sales I hear some truly desperate tales from widows and surviving kids trying to hand on Dad's gear. So sad and what a waste. Anyway, worst story I ever heard was that happened to the Sorrento harware store collection. When I was a young bloke and staying with my grandies down the coast I always got Pa to take me into the mainstreet hardware store in Sorrento so I could see the old tool collection which was festooned all over the walls and even had its own room full of hundreds of old woodworking tools. Years later (about sixty) I saw about four items from this collection in the local museum and asked the curator what happened to the rest of it. He told me the family offered it around the place and a few of the choice items were taken up but in the end most of it got dumped. This unfortunately is the fate of most collections irrespective of size, value and quality. The big museums are apparently awash with this stuff and don't know too much about tools anyway. The only way around preserving your collection beyond you is to have some kind of legacy strategy in place early on which involves a focus on what you collect, the quality of it and it's preservation, how it is catalogued and most importantly who else you have advised of its worth and significance and what you would like done with it come the inevitable. If you think your collection is worth it, its better if you do this. Preferably a long time before someone has to. If not, enjoy collecting anyway but realise you're doing it for you alone.

Reminds me of the old tool collectors lament. "I hope the missus sells my stuff for what it's worth and not what I told her I bought it for". Alas. She won't!
    Full time score. Dealers 1, collectors 0.

Is it Monday yet?

I bought these chisels this week

8chisels.jpg

The six to the left are all* J.E. Morrison & Sons (in very nice condition), while the one to the right is Signal (and bent). Does anybody know what the second-from-right is?

* correction - the fifth one is Linley & Co.

8chisel.jpg8Handle.jpg
    8Label.jpg Apart from this illegible label, there are no markings.

Cheers, Vann.
    Last edited by Vann; 7th November 2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: correction
    Gatherer of rusty planes tools...
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club .

Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    Does anybody know what the second-from-right is?

* correction - the fifth one is Linley & Co.

8chisel.jpg8Handle.jpg
    8Label.jpg Apart from this illegible label, there are no markings.

Cheers, Vann.
    Pretty sure that's an EA Berg.
    Very nice chisel.

The handle looks very Berg like. Bergs usually have a shark logo on the blade.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbthumper View Post
    Pretty sure that's an EA Berg.
    Very nice chisel.
    Quote Originally Posted by orraloon
    The handle looks very Berg like. Bergs usually have a shark logo on the blade.
    That would be my first EA Berg then. They seem highly rated on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbthumper View Post
    Very nice chisel.
    Hmmm... it would be if the blade wasn't banana shaped (convex on the face/back that should be flat or slightly concave) .

Thank you for the info gentlemen.

Cheers, Vann.
    Gatherer of rusty planes tools...
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club .

I think it might be a Jernbolaget chisel.
    Made round the corner from Berg, look very similar.
    Jernbolaget feature an anchor which looks like the centre of the logo, rather than the Berg shark.