Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by dhgomm View Post
    ... and only one day behind schedule so far.
    You've got a schedule that works on DAYS?
    Hell, I thought I was being brave thinking in terms of decades ... and I only did that because we're getting horribly close to the end of one

Richard

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Heck, Richard, my schedule is based on days, too... as in "one day my boat will be finished."

Bob

Thumbs up Why I schedule work on my PDRacer in Days

Hi Richard & Bob,

My "schedule" is based on small steps, each taking about a week ( I work out the next step, or 2 after completing the previous small step ), weather and health permitting.

My original estimated completion date ( including painting etc. ) was around Christmas 2008, now I will be happy if it is completed by Christmas 2009.

Delays due to weather and illness can be long and unpredictable, so far I have had both, which is why I was so hapy to finally get back to working close to my estimated construction time for at least 1 part.

An old saying goes "If you fail to plan, You plan to fail", I just apply this to my "schedules" to motivate me enough so the estimated completion date is as soon as possible.

The whole point of building a PDRacer is to have the fun of sailing it ( building it can be fun too ! ).

David,

Glad to hear you are getting back to your estimated schedule. I do hope the weather and - more importantly - your health allow you to complete your PDR soon so you can take it sailing.

My own heretofore rather loose schedule is about to tighten up considerably. Without having a space large enough to assemble the hull, I have been schlepping along without a real schedule. However, my daughter has a ground level storage space (think a ground level basement) that is now nearly completely empty and available for my use. So, now I have to plot out how I'm going to get that hull assembled. I need to figure out what bits and pieces I don't have ready yet and what supplies I need to take over to my daughter's place. Things are about to pick up for me.

Bob

Getting it ready for Christmas would be good because that's the start of the good sailing weather Getting it ready for the start of winter would be a bummer Mind you, in mild old Adelaide, it's not a real problem.

As far as a schedule goes - I'm hoping I get a job because money is so darned useful in boatbuilding ... on the other hand, if I get a job, I'm back to working on weekends and my kids tend to monopolise them so a job would automatically add a decade to my build time.

I don't work to schedules - too many other things get in the way and stuff them up. I do however, plan the next few steps ahead and keep an eye on the overall plan. I don't bother getting too detailed past the next phase of the job because too many unanticipated things get in the way so I tend to work in small stages. I also keep in mind that sometimes, you're better off just doing something because you want to rather than tackling the next job on 'the list'.

We're all different. I make boats amid confusion and chaos where others like to have it mapped out ahead of time, it all depends on how your insanity interacts with your ability.

Richard

Thumbs up

Hi Bob & Richard,

I am building the hull in the rear half of my carport, so wind and some rain/moisture can prevent some construction steps from time to time ( for painting I plan to enclose the area in polytarps temporarily ).

The gluing up, and resin coating of parts, I do in my lounge room, the floor is covered in black plastic when needed ( I live in a state housing unit, so I don't have a lot of space either ).

Cutting up the timber was done outside in my carport ( I have all the major parts cut ), all sanding and planing is also done in the carport for obvious reasons.

Being on a disability pension ( bipolar depression ), I have plenty of time for hobbies such as this ( when not too depressed - which makes me very fatigued at times ), but not much money ( I basically financed the whole project out of last years economic stimulus payment ).

This seems like a natural extension of my radio controlled scale model boats ( 2 - 6 channel control - 1'6' long to 4' long - several were scratch built out of various timbers - 1 is as yet unfinished ), and a radio controlled yacht ( with rudder & sail winch, 3'6" long ) The PDRacer is just 1:1 scale instead of 1:32 scale etc. and you operate it from on board.

My only formal training in woodwork & metalwork was in high school many years ago, but I have done many DIY projects, as well as model boat building, both of which I enjoy doing, but no previous full size boat building, I have sailed solo on hire surf cats, and quite enjoy boating in general ( regardless of size ).

I also have other hobbies, and other things, to distract me from time to time, so I rarely get bored, but no matter how carefully one plans, or how much I enjoy my hobbies, some chaos and confusion is inevitable, regardless of when I finish a project, I would rather do it well, than finish on a schedule.

Hi Bob & Richard,

I am building the hull in the rear half of my carport, so wind and some rain/moisture can prevent some construction steps from time to time ( for painting I plan to enclose the area in polytarps temporarily ).
    It's amazing where you can build these things. My son's Mouseboat was built in a carport though one of the great things about having a shed is that you can leave tools and the like lying around.

The gluing up, and resin coating of parts, I do in my lounge room, the floor is covered in black plastic when needed ( I live in a state housing unit, so I don't have a lot of space either ).
    Two bob says you're a bachelor

Jan, my fiance, refuses to even consider my pushbikes living inside ... but where are the poor darlings going to go? They're used to living in the lounge room! But epoxy inside? Mate, you're much much neater with the muck than I am

Cutting up the timber was done outside in my carport ( I have all the major parts cut ), all sanding and planing is also done in the carport for obvious reasons.
    Now we're closer to home. Although I've got the shed to work in, everytime I fire up the big tools, it's outside on the lawn ... and then with the vacuum cleaner to clean up - not even Jan vacuums the lawn

Being on a disability pension ( bipolar depression ), I have plenty of time for hobbies such as this ( when not too depressed - which makes me very fatigued at times ), but not much money ( I basically financed the whole project out of last years economic stimulus payment ).
    Man, you got the big one there. Good on you for getting in and doing something. I've only got the down side of things but that's enough thank you - sometimes it's as though some bugger's pulled out a plug and all your energy has drained away. The boat keeps me sane (hence the name of the latest) and so does riding my bikes. All I need is the money to support my habits

My only formal training in woodwork & metalwork was in high school many years ago, but I have done many DIY projects, as well as model boat building, both of which I enjoy doing, but no previous full size boat building, I have sailed solo on hire surf cats, and quite enjoy boating in general ( regardless of size ).
    I learned rough carpentry from my Dad. Then went to school and learned how to do it properly ... then returned to rough carpentry to do my boats. There's something about me and fine work that doesn't mix as it should. Mind you, I'm also a life long modeller - I gave up model aeroplanes to build boats (Hawk still does both, but he's a masochist ). The modelling taught me how to do my best and then convert the result into a fully functioning reality - it's a mix of knowing what to do, how to do it, what you can get away with and how to correct what you didn't get away with.

I also have other hobbies, and other things, to distract me from time to time, so I rarely get bored, but no matter how carefully one plans, or how much I enjoy my hobbies, some chaos and confusion is inevitable, regardless of when I finish a project, I would rather do it well, than finish on a schedule.
    Many a disaster has been launched thanks to a deadline.

Onya mate

Richard

Thumbs up

Hi Richard & Bob,

Yes I am a bachelor, and I am neat with the epoxy ( at least when using it inside ), because I have to be !!! ( as I am renting my unit, and as I am the resposible type, I do not want to cause any damage to the unit ).

However I have seen some pretty impressive photos of radio control model boats ( up to 14 feet long, scale ocean liners etc., built over 3 or more years ), being built in lounge rooms ( by married men ) in some old British model magazines !!!.

So my using the lounge room ( because I have no shed - or access to one ) to glue and resin coat various parts only, of my PDRacer is not that original, and being a bachelor I at least don't have to consider a wifes opinion about it, which makes it a lot easier.

When completed My PDRacer will be stored on its side ( on blocks - because the carport ceiling is only 7 feet high ) in the carport next to the car, provided I am carefull backing in, I forsee no problems with this, I just don't have any where else to put it.

With the space I have at present, I do not anticipate building any more boats in the future, but where there's a will there's a way, and if you put your mind to it you can do amazing things ( thinking positive is also good for dealing with depression ).

From your replies it seems we think ( and do ) a lot of things alike, but then we are all trying to build boats after all.

Thumbs up Progress so far

Hi everyone,

Both the weather and my health are not co-operating, but I have managed to get the first coat of resin on the foredeck underside completed today anyway.

I now expect sealing of the front buoyancy chamber and attachment of the foredeck in about 1.5 - 2 weeks.

Hi DAvid, if you have a bit more time you can do the three epoxy coats wet on wet. It does reduce the risk of some problems. But if you are comfy doing it the way you are then that is OK of course.

MIK

Thumbs up Progress report

Hi Everyone.

I am pleased with today's work, I have managed to resin coat ( 1st coat ) the interior of the front buoyancy chamber, and put a second resin coat ( last coat ) on the foredeck underside.

One more resin coat will finish off the front buoyancy chamber, ready for the foredeck to be glued in place, then the hull will start to look complete at last.

I am very tired now, but at least the hull is finally nearing completion.

Well done David, when the weather starts improving as it has I find the extra bit of inspiration helps.

Thumbs up Progress report

Hi everyone,

I have just finished applying the last resin coat to the inside of the front buoyancy chamber, so I should have the fore deck attached permanently in a day or two.

The weather here in Perth is still very changeable, the rainy days start to disappear at the beginning of October here, I should be able to work on the PDRacer more frequently then.

When I have tidied up the little things to finish the decks off, I will post a photo.

When I have tidied up the little things to finish the decks off, I will post a photo.
    Oi, no swearing
    And no doing that 't' word before taking photos, we want to see a working shed, not one of these antiseptic, cleaned up things

Glad to see you're into it. We're getting the storms now and they don't really encourage work in the shed do they.

Richard

Thumbs up

Hi Richard,

I am building my PDRacer in the carport of my rented unit, as I do not have a shed.

It appears my reference to "tidied up" ( is this what you meant by swearing !!! ), was misunderstood ( a mess when doing any construction work is inevitable, and nothing to be ashamed of - but I keep the mess to a minimum as my landliord may not understand !!!. ).

By "tidied up", I was refering to the filling of screw holes, the fibreglass reinforcing between deck sections, and the finishing off of the coaming around the cockpit ( to complete the work on the decks ).
    Last edited by dhgomm; 22nd September 2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast