Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    The LBD will be easy to get up on the rack because it is longer than the PDRacer.

You put the nose up on the back rack and slide it forward.

MIK
    Actually, I'll have a problem there. My roof rack has plastic inserts with ridges (so things on there don't slip) and to do that will just rip the top layer of paint off I've done it before, so I'm going to have to come up with some sort of covering for the roof racks.

Richard

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up

Hi Richard,

I will be covering all the surfaces that contact my PDRacer ( on both the trolley and racks with loading ramps by gluing the carpet down with resin and glue modifier powder ).

For your carry bars you could just make a loop of carpet ( just glue the loop closed - don't glue it to the carry bars ! ) to slip over the carry bars, so that it can also roll when pushing your boat onto it.

I am feeling extremely exhausted today, so I may not get much, if anything done in the next few days, It has been both hot and humid for most of this week here in Perth, hopefully the weather is better where you are.

With carpet I generally leave some tags on it that go round the corner and nail or screw it down as well.

But then I usually use contact cement - the epoxy will hold on a lot better probably

I don't want to leave carpet on my roof racks permanently though - gawd, I sound like a woman don't I
    Ah well, something to worry about further down the track.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post
    I don't want to leave carpet on my roof racks permanently though -

Richard
    Why not? Afraid of losing style points?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobWes View Post
    Why not? Afraid of losing style points?

Bob
    You haven't seen how exposed carpet goes in this climate - it gets pretty daggy pretty quickly.

Richard

Thumbs up Problem solved

Hi everyone,

The carpet could easily just be attached with Velcro strips, the self adhesive backed ones ( after removing the original self adhesive ) and using contact cement to adhere the Velcro to the underside of the carpet ( for the other strip that goes on your roof rack you could just use the original self adhesive ).

This would prevent exposure of the carpet to the weather for longer than needed, and your roof rack would only have Velcro attached ( completely weatherproof ) after you remove the carpet when not needed.

There is a problem for every situation, but a solution is usually just a short thought away for those that wish to find one.

Bloody velcro. The devil was on a roll the day he came up with that stuff. It's a good solution though, thanks for suggesting it. Please remind me of it later when I'm struggling with this issue and it becomes clear I've forgotten this suggestion it's a goodun

Richard

G'day Daddles
    If you looked closely at my roof bars as you zipped past this arvo, you's have seen
    strips of carpet held on with cheapo ducky tape. Current strips have been there for
    over a year. Maybe two. When they get tired, I cut them off, cut another strip of
    carpet (free off someone's hard rubbish pile) & tape it on. I do the same with the roof
    bars bolted to my box trailer.
    cheers
    AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post
    Bloody velcro. The devil was on a roll the day he came up with that stuff. It's a good solution though, thanks for suggesting it. Please remind me of it later when I'm struggling with this issue and it becomes clear I've forgotten this suggestion it's a goodun

Richard
    The devil OR mother nature. Don't blame Velcro, De Mestral was just being a smarty pants when he copied the cursed things that stick to socks and the cat

I've always thought that there should be a brand of kid's pyjamas backed with velcro so when they get too noisy and excited you can give them time out by placing them back down on carpet.

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    I've always thought that there should be a brand of kid's pyjamas backed with velcro so when they get too noisy and excited you can give them time out by placing them back down on carpet.

MIK
    Up on the wall out of the way is even better

Thumbs up

Hi everyone,

The uses for Velcro are endless, but I will just use something simpler to attach the carpet to the underside of the tops of the I-Beams I will be using for my roof top loading / rack system, double sided tape, an alternative is loops of duct tape, to have completely concealed attachment of the carpet.

The carpet will not need replacing very often as exposure to the weather can be reduced by simply unbolting the I-Beams from the existing carry bars when not needed.

I have devised a simple attachment method that simply clamps the I-Beams to the carry bars, using 2 cup head bolts at each location to clamp the carry bars between the I-beam base and a piece of timber underneath the carry bar ( leaving no marks when removed ).

For the trolley I will need to use something a bit more long lasting, at any points that the PDRacer will contact the trolley, I can use boat fender strip material ( rubber like ), or some rubbing strip material such as Teflon ( available for trailers ). These choices are more expensive than carpet, but after repeated submersions during launch/ retrieval, they will smell a lot better too.

It is possible to sometimes get offcuts of outdoor carpet from auto trimmers or boat trimmers. Some of the bigger chandleries have it too.

It is much better than the indoor stuff.

MIK

Thumbs up

Hi Michael,

Another option would be nylon webbing, or seatbelt webbing ( both available in 50mm widths at about $2.50 per metre - just 3 metres would do all of the trolley surfaces ), they should also be able to just be glued down with contact adhesive.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast