Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Progress Report

Hi everyone,

I have been feeling very drained ( no energy / sleepy ) lately, so I have had a week and a half off working on my PDRacer, but I am feeling much better now.

At Last I have just glued together and filled holes in the last of the main components of the trolley for my PDRacer, I have also made and glued the handle into position on the removable draw bar.

I have now purchased 15 metres ( 3 x 5 metre rolls cost $31.50 from Whitworths ) of nylon webbing ( as used in car seat belts ) to cover all the surfaces that come into contact with the PDRacer, of the car top rack and ramps, plus the trolley. This can simply be glued down permanently, without regard for weather, as it is more than weatherproof.

Tomorrow I hope to fillet the joins, glue the last pieces into place, and fill the remaining holes on my trolley for the PDRacer,

I still need to make up my car top rack and loading ramps, before going back to finish my PDRacer, so that all 3 can be finished at about the same time.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up Progress Report ( or lack of it )

Hi everyone,

Sorry but I didn't get much done today, I got sidetracked helping out a neighbour to run a few errands, and needed to clean up the large amount of excess leaves and dirt that have been blowing into the carport in the last few weeks ( where I am building my PDRacer ).

I just separated the last few pieces ( only screwed together temporarily ), removed the last of the screws from the joints I glued together yesterday, and made up 2 ply reinforcements for the draw bar,

Tomorrow I hope to fillet the joins, glue the last pieces into place, and fill the remaining holes on my trolley for the PDRacer, weather permitting ( 23 degrees Celsius max. with rain forecast continuing into Thursday ),

I still need to make up my car top rack and loading ramps, before going back to finish my PDRacer, so that all 3 can be finished at about the same time.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by dhgomm View Post
    Hi everyone,

Sorry but I didn't get much done today, I got sidetracked helping out a neighbour to run a few errands, and needed to clean up the large amount of excess leaves and dirt that have been blowing into the carport in the last few weeks ( where I am building my PDRacer ).
    Is she cute?

so that all 3 can be finished at about the same time.
    If you manage that trick you'll be a hero ... or a freak, it just doesn't happen that way in real life, well, not in what passes for a real life at Chateau Daddles
    I started working on my oars so that I wouldn't have any slack time in the job, got a bit done actually ... and haven't touched them in weeks except to fall over them groping for the light switch in the dark. Good thing I can swipe the oars for Redback if I need to.

I have been feeling very drained ( no energy / sleepy ) lately, so I have had a week and a half off working on my PDRacer, but I am feeling much better now.
    Don't let it get to you mate, just do what you can when you can. These boats do get built eventually and you can make some horrendous mistakes trying to work when you shouldn't - I had one of them recently, can't remember what it was now.

At the way we're going, we might be launching about the same time. Either way, we'll have to do a co-ordinated trip once they're both in the water - you in the Swan River, me in the Port River, choccy donuts consumed at noon or some such daft thing

Richard

Hi Richard,

My neighbour is quite good looking, but has children, not certain of marital status, but that was not why I was helping her anyway, there are still a few people willing to help others just to be good neighbours/friends, with no strings or expectations attached,

As to getting all three projects ( PDRacer, trolley and car top loading rack ) finished at the same time, there is considerably less work left to do on both the trolley and car top loading rack than on the PDRacer, so they might be finished first ( this will help getting my PDRacer to a place, so I can get a HIN for it when needed ).

PROGRESS REPORT
    Today I finished gluing and filling the trolley ( fillet the joints still to do before sanding and epoxy coating - 2 coats max. left to do. ) after which I will paint it as for the PDRacer, and glue on the seatbelt webbing where needed ( to prevent scratching my PD Racer ).

I hope to be able to provide photos of both the trolley and car top loading rack ( while uncoated and without the seat belt webbing attached ) in about 2 weeks, so you can see how it all works.

Filleting of the joints of the trolley, and construction of the 4 I - beams for the car top loading rack is expected over the next few days.

Thumbs up Progress Report ( or lack of it )

Hi everyone,

I seem to have the tiredness / fatige back again, as a result I have not been able to work on the trolley or PDRacer since last Wesnesday.

This will definitely throw off my 'schedule', working on the trolley and PDRacer Monday - Wednesday, will at least let me progress at a slower pace.

I am concentrating on getting the trolley and car top loading / rack finished enough to photograph for you all - the trolley could be ready by as early as next Wednesday, and the car top loading / rack is much simpler, as you will see from the photographs that I will be taking.

Mate, the first mistake in boat building is expecting to stick to a schedule. Just do what you can, when you can and let the launch date look after itself. I've stuffed up more stuff by attempting to keep to a schedule than I have through common incompetence. Your wee boatie WILL get launched ... and it might even resemble what you currently imagine she'll be

Look after yourself and enjoy the build.

Richard

I seem to have the tiredness / fatige back again,
    Hi David,

I think the awful Perth weather has been the cause of your tiredness. It starting to take a toll on most people I know. My PDRacer has been waiting for a coat of paint for months, and just when it looks like its going to clear up, everything turns cold & wet again.

My PDRacer was built on my outdoor dining table(under my pergola), and its been there for months. I hope the weather clears soon, or I'll be eating my snags straight off the BBQ hot plate.

Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers

Mickj

Thumbs up Sticking to schedules

Hi Richard and Mickj,

Yes you are both probably right, between my bipolar depression and the recent weather, I have just been too tired to do more than 3 days work a week ( before getting so tired that I start making mistakes ) on my trolley for the PDRacer, let alone work on the PDRacer too.

I am just going to have to do what I can, priority will be given to the construction of the trolley and car top loading / rack system ( so I can photograph them to show you all what they look like, as a picture is worth a thousand words ).

After I have both of them ready for the photographs, I will get back to working on the PDRacer, the hull only needs sanding back ( inside and out ) before the final coat of resin, and the final sanding before painting begins.

I still have to shape the foils, mast staves ( before assembling the mast ), make the tiller, and rudder hinges, and finish off the rudder box ( already assembled and resin coated on the inside ).

So you can see most of the work has already been done, once I get to the painting stage I should not get so tired.

We are pretty grateful for the last two days of cool weather that you sent us David and Mickj

MIK

Hi everyone,

After a recent hot spell, we have some cooler weather again in Perth ( Hopefully this means Adelaide will get more cooler weather again soon Michael ), so I put it to good use, and filled and filleted all the wooden parts of the trolley for the PDRacer today.

I just need to sand it all back, and re-attach the axles and wheels to complete the trolley, ready for photographing now.

In the morning I am going to start assembly on the car top racks, and the removable loading ramps to suit, these are very simple sections of wooden I-Beam made from three pieces of timber each, with reinforced areas for bolt attachment ( clamping them ) to my existing car carry bars.

We might grumble when you send us hot weather David, but we are equally on the grateful side with the last few cool days.

Cheers Mate!
    MIK

Hi everyone,

Despite my health problems, and recent hot weather, I have been able to finish applying the filler to the trolley ( just needs to be sanded back ), and have just glued together the main parts of the ramps and car top rack I-beams ( I have also cut to length the remaining parts - still need to cut to width ).

Hopefully I can have these ready to photograph for you all to see how they work in about 2 - 3 weeks.

Sounds like you are surviving OK David. We have had quite nice weather here for the past week and a bit. Much more like spring than before!

MIK

Hi everyone,

Despite my health problems, and recent hot weather, I have been able to finish applying the filler to the trolley ( just needs to be sanded back ), and have just glued together the main parts of the ramps and car top rack I-beams ( I have also cut to length the remaining parts - still need to cut to width ).

Hopefully I can have these ready to photograph for you all to see how they work in about 2 - 3 weeks.
    Umm David. Filler on the TROLLEY
    Maaaaatttttttteeee, it's the boat (or its lady passenger) that get gawped at, not the trolley

Although I jest, I am looking forward to seeing all this as I intend to shamelessly plagiarise your solutions and apply them to life with the Little Black Dog.

Richard

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast