Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Progress suspended due to illness

Hi everyone,

Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to you and your families,

Due to ilness ( bipolar depression and kidney problems-not yet identified ), I am unable to do any more work on my PDRacer or anything else at this time, the situation should start to improve in a few months time ( hopefully enough to get back to continue with the PDRacer ).

Past experience has taught me that it could happen sooner, or it could take longer, there is just no way of telling, so I hope for the best, but plan for the worst, maybe I will finally complete my PDRacer by Christmas 2010, if I suddenly get well again ( this is also possible ), I may be able to complete my PDRacer before the end of June.

Now you can all see why setting a schedule and sticking to it ( as well as possible ) was important to me, my health changes quickly without warning between almost normal, and not well enough to do anything.

As soon as possible I will complete the trolley and roof rack loading system, so I can photograph it for all of you to see ( at this time I can't give a definite date, or even a month for this unfortunuately ).

This will be my last post for this year, but no matter how unwell I get I can at least continue to read your very interesting posts, this will give me the encouragement I need to get started again as soon as possible.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi David

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family too

I fully understand your situation and wish you well and a speedy recovery. (I live with 2 family members diagnosed with the same affliction and having been through a couple of depressive episodes myself, I'm qualified in the headspace area!)

Having a project like my GIS to obsess about gives me the diversion I need when I get home each day, and it's worth at least a couple of pills

Your roof-rack for loading/unloading your PDR has me intrigued, and you must be a clever man.

Have a safe and happy festive season, and get back to your PDR soon. The sailing will do you a power of good

Hi David,

Remember that you are very welcome to participate generally here. As far as having energy to do things ... it can be good to have a couple of little things in your mind that you could do ... so that when you have a bit more energy and a bit more time one day ... then ...

Best wishes
    MIK

Thumbs up Back to work on my PDRacer

Hi everyone,

I hope all of you had a great Christmas and New Year.

I am feeling a bit better now, so I expect to get back to work on my PDRacer, and 1 person launching trolley / car top rack / loading system, in the next few weeks, if not sooner,

I will start off slowly, so I don't overdo it, but hope to not need any more breaks due to health issues before finishing, I estimate only a few months including all painting will be needed to finish. .

Up to now I have just been too tired to be interested in posting, but have followed several threads with interest, other PDRacer builds, disposable canoe, etc.

I can hardly wait to see how well my PDRacer performs, in all 3 modes, sailing, rowing, powered using an electric trolling motor / outboard.

Default Perth builders are best

David

Great to see you back at it. As we both live in Perth, if you ever need a second opinion or a hand with anything, give me a shout. I'm a complete beginner, but can lift heavy weights or hold things steadily - at least I'm useful for some things. )

Cheers

JT
    Regards

John Townsend

http://jab49.blogspot.com/

Perth builders may or may not be the best, but they are NICE!

MIK

Thumbs up

Hi JT,

Thank you for your generous offer ( I am certain that you are more than just 'useful' at many things ), when I am well enough to work on my PDRacer, I have no problems with heavy lifting, ( not that PDRacers are all that heavy, relatively speaking, anyway ), or other things in general, the Bipolar Depression ( 1 of several medical conditions ), among other things, just limits the amount of time I can do things due to the fatigue and mood swings it gives me, the recent hot weather hasn't helped either.

Advice or second opinions are always welcome, my boat building experience is mainly with radio control model boats ( I have built several scale models, a yacht, and a few speedboats, I have designed some and modified others, many are made of various woods etc, built from detailed plans ).

This is my first full size boat, ( the materials and techniques are all diferent to what I am used to, but the principles are the same ), so I am really just a beginner myself, the forum in general is a great resource, and it is interesting to see what others are doing too.

I live in Maylands, I don't know if you live anywhere nearby, Perth is just so spread out, but you are always welcome to visit, maybe we can help each other if we have any problems ( if you want detailed contact info, I can send it to you in a Personal Message ) or e-mail ).

Yes Mik, Perth people are usually quite helpful and friendly, maybe It has something to do with the relative size of the population, as the population increases people in general, increasingly, don't seem to take the time to get to know one another, that's why country people are usually so friendly.

Hi David,

It is the same in Adelaide. People smile at each other when eyes meet in the street etc.

Takes me a while to stop looking and smiling at people when I visit Sydney or Melbourne where it has a different implication! Though there are a couple of places in Sydney with more of a village atmosphere where you can almost get away with it!

MIK

Exclamation Further delay due to unfortunuite accident !!!

Hi everyone,

Just as I was about ready to restart work on my PDRacer, I was helping out a neighbour, when the ladder I was using snapped, and colapsed from under me.

The ladder was one of those old steel tube step / extension types ( I only weigh 99.5 kg ), both vertical tubes snapped right through, about 6 inches above the joints ( the neighbour only got it second hand last sunday ), causing me to drop straight down about 5 feet, to land on and bend one of the ladders steps about 45 degrees.

I have 2 very sore feet and ankles, according to the x-rays I have not likely broken anything except the ladder, but have soft tissue dammage to both feet and ankles, thankfully it was not worse.

This would seem a great joke ordinarily, but I am in too much pain to truly enjoy the funny side of this unlikely event, hopefully you can at least get a laugh out of this, I no doubt will at some time later.

If everything goes ok ( and if I havn't actually broken any bones, such as a hairline fracture etc. ) I should recover sufficiently in a week or two to get started again on my PDRacer.

I post his here as a warning to all of you about the structural integrity of at least some old steel tube ladders, particularly second hand ones that may still look perfectly safe.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Oi, he posted this twice

Dammit, you still get twice as much sympathy

Richard

Thumbs up

Hi Daddles,

Sorry, this was the original post, after making it, I decided it could really be a topic on it's own, to further emphasize the warning aspect of some older steel tube ladders not being as structurally sound as they appeared ( I have one of my own that works very well - it held my weight of 15 months ago, of 128 kg, with ease, before my dieting reduced my weight to the present 99.5 kg, which thankfully, most likely helped keep the injuries to a minimum.

Glad you are OK David.

People don't fly for long no matter how hard you throw them.

MIK

Exclamation

Hi Mik,

It's definitely true, "people do not fly, no matter how hard you throw them", not unless they use an aircraft anyway.

I will keep everyone informed about the true extent of my injuries to both feet and right ankle, as that has not been fully diagnosed yet, in the topic 'Warning about old steel tube type ladders' in this forum.

I finally found at least 1 situation where tho old saying ( possibly relates to Murphy's law ), "No good deed goes unpunished" actually seems to fit, never thought I would.

This is merely a very painfull lesson, and a big inconvenience, but I will resume work on my PDRacer at the earliest opportunity.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

David, you've now got the perfect excuse (or lack of excuse for not doing so) to sit down and sand and sand and sand bits of that boat

Richard
    doncha love sympathy

Thumbs up Great news about my foot

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to quickly let you know that I am out of the cast now, but have to wear a special boot for the next 6 weeks, this takes the place of physio, so I am encouraged to start walking on it ( even without crutches ), and using it normally.

I am allowed to take it off when resting, bathing or at other times when I don’t put any weight on it, I also need to do range of movement exercises without the boot on and no weight on it, but basically the boot is a temporary support to enable the muscles to get some exercise, and strength back until they are back to normal.

Just one more x-ray in 6 weeks time, and then no boot after that either.

So after I do some urgent rust removal, and body filling on my car I will be back at work on the PDRacer ( possibly as soon as next week ).
    Last edited by dhgomm; 15th February 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: deduction of font size for pasted in text

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast