Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Registry for storerboats? Possible?

Finally my sail arrived today
    Now i just need to get the boat ready for sailing!

btw, check my sail no.

Bjarne

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Registry over GIS

Very cool. Is there a way to create a registry and figure out who has what number? Or, at least a section of the site called "registry" where people list there boats, names, photos and maybe a quick bit of info about their build process. What about that Mik? The Iain Oughtred site has something along these lines, but they do not do hull #s.

C

Clint

Howdy Bjarne,

It is a nice idea about a registry, but I don't know how to do it.

The main problem is time. I have set everything up so my agents deal with everything so I am free to design and do the internet marketing and helping etc etc.

What I need is some people to group up and create a registry.

The other situation is that there have been so many plans sold ... what do we do about previous boats that are uncounted but deserving of low numbers.

One idea I had was having a national code. Maybe use the old two letter internation yachting codes rather than the modern three letter ones.

Or use the country's phone code as the first part of the number.

Another way we used in Australia was to have a boat insignia on the lower back corner of the mainsail instead of a number at the top.

But, I am afraid, I don't have time. I can certainly host such a site or a page on my storerboats site if someone or a group want to run it. It is possible to add a blog so that people can mention events they are going to .. but I don't have the tech side to make that work easily.

It is all a nice idea.

Best wishes
    Michael

I have the tech to get it up and running, no doubt about that. My main problem is that i'm rather busy atm with both work and school.
    Anyway, i do think i have time to create something, but it will not be before the school is finish for this semester.

I can create something where they can must fill out somekind of a form so it can be standard for all users.
    But i need some more info on what there is needed on that site.
    I can make a profil for each boat/user and a event something.
    And as you mentioned, Mik, it would be cool with something standard on the sail if people want to use that

Let me get some input for all you uses - i know that there are some that have something

Mik, ASP.NET and MySQL is mandatory for me, since i develop in that language.

Bjarne
    Last edited by Maximuss; 3rd April 2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: misspelling as always ;)

A registry is a good idea, and for Bjarne to step up with an offer to put something together is fantastic.

Just thinking off the top of my head here...

Mik, I am wondering if your agents could provide chronological lists of plans sold (names would be great but not expected). The lists could be merged into a single numbered chronology. The lists could be by month rather than specific dates. The list could be posted (here or on a registry site?) and we could self identify when we each bought our plans.

EXAMPLE: If the list says there were 4 sets of plans (say, for ecample, numbers 70, 71, 72, and 73) sold in October 2008, and I'm the first one to identify myself as purchasing plans in October 2008, my hull would be GIS 70. If all the numbers for a month are claimed, and someone else thinks they bought in that particular month, they can either claim the last number from the previous month or the first available number for the next month.

Hull numbers could be by country and the numbers are claimed on a first come first served basis - EXCEPT for recognized first hulls (and maybe by gentlemen's agreement on # 2 and #3 - if that might be an issue). This might be the easiest way to do it. Other than the first hull in a country, are the rest of us (and those that follow) going to be that hung up on exact sequential numbering? (although if pushed for a preference I'd claim US 55 or US 71 for sentimental purposes, but that's just me)

Obviously a registry could/would include build-start and launch dates so some sense of chronological order could be figured out.

Of course, if there are thousands of us out here there could be some debate over these ideas.

I'm just thinking off the top of my head here...

Bob
    Last edited by BobWes; 3rd April 2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: retyping typos... Clarifying (hopefully)

Howdy,

If a registry can be got going .... that is wonderful.

I really lean toward the PDRacer idea that a photo of a boat be required to get registration. I think to work on the numbers of plans sold would make things unnecessarily confusing particularly as I have a number of different agents. Making the owner responsible for registering seems sensible as it puts most of the work (and responsibility) at that end.

And then start registering ones from that reserved number with a photo of the boat on a stretch of water or some other stage of the building process. The PDRacers have their own system which is from when the boat goes 3D with the bottom on, but I think that is too early.

Maybe the way would be that we could reserve a certain number for the Goat and Beth for boats already built ... an estimated number which I can give to people who have had a boat for a while - some a number of years.

For example, I only think it would be necessary to reserve 5 or 7 for Beth because any that are outside my knowledge are so old that they are unlikely to turn up.

The Goat ... I would estimate that I would have to reserve about 15 to 20. Derek's red one in Qld, Gruff, The Olive Green one that was in Adelaide and is now in WA

Probably the same or a bit more for the Eureka.

Raid and Rowboat can start from 1 because we know where they all are!

With the Punt I am not sure whether people are actually interested in having hull numbers ... but maybe they would like .... no harm doing it I suppose.

Please discuss .... this is not meant to be firm. Also it needs to be OK for an idiot to administer!!!

As an example ... this is the PDRacer page, but it doesn't need to be like this ... it could even be a sortable list with SQL i guess so people can sort for country, postcode/zip etc.
    http://www.pdracer.com/fleets/index.htm

MIK

All of this is fantastic!

I am with MIK, in that I think the boat must be built to get a hull number - take a look at the Wooden Boat forum - there are guys over that collect a lot more plans than they build (not there is anything wrong with that - I could see myself doing the same). The picture requirement is a good idea.

Thanks for taking the lead on this Bjarne!

Hadn't thought about the picture requirement, but that's a good idea. Whatever works is good by me. Local sailing club seems to want a hull number, and rather than make one up (when the time comes) I'd rather have a real one!

I'm not sure what help I can offer, but if there is anything I can do to help, I'm willing.

Bob

Default Registry over GIS

Hey,

Can't we use this thread to put ideas and thought about the GIS registry.
    It will be more easy for me to get a overview here in that in my thread that i use for my own ship-building.

So far I have:

A hull number
    Required Image
    Location (i have been thinking about using Google Map for that )

Bjarne
    Last edited by Maximuss; 6th April 2009 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Same as always, the never ending misspelling :)

Good idea to separate the registry discussion from your build thread.

Reserve the first "X" (however many Mik thinks...) hull numbers for those pioneering souls who have already built their Goats.

Builder's name
    Location (a Google map is a cool idea)
    Boat name
    Picture
    Link(s) to any website, blog, additional pics, etc (possible?)

There must be other stuff to include.

Bob

The picture or pictures requirement makes the whole thing interesting for other people too.

Links to other pages on the net like build diaries, flickr sets etc.

People can put wishes and ideas down here ... however ... my tendency is always to go simple because it is always more important to get something done on the net than have all the bells and whistles. The PDRacer register is a nice example of something basic that works fine.

Bjarne ... when you get time I can give you admin rights to my server. (Oh dear .. you will get to see how crappy my coding is!!!! - not that I am directly responsible ... it was the editing programs fault!!! Honest)

Also if anyone else wants to help with the development side ... Bjarne is a pretty busy guy, study, uni, work, building the GIS ... he can lead the project, but I am sure a co-developer would be gratefully accepted.

Or if Bjarne finds the time difficult ... we can look at developing a simple one like the PDR list. Would be nice to have a cool one as Bjarne suggests.

MIK

Also .... I will have to work out a chronology from various sources, which won't be easy.

If someone could work through the ones on the forum ... I can get a start on piecing it together from my memory. And I don't trust it at all!!!

If you are doing anything .. report it here so that nobody needs to duplicate your effort.

Michael

Red GIS
    Peter Hyndman - Gruff
    Green GIS
    ? a couple in this gap
    David Graybeal - Coot
    ? a few probably in this gap
    Boats on this forum

Michael Storer Beth
    Oz Boat
    Maybe one here USA (mik to check dates of OZ boats)
    Oz Boat
    ? a couple in this gap
    Norm's boat
    David Goetz

I will extract the OZ PDRs www.pdracer.com from the PDRacer website too .. unless someone wants to look at the photos to see which ones are OZ. Remember that Peter Hyndmans was the first OZ. Also you can't do live links to the photos on pdracer.com, they break for some reason.

My GIS would probably be in the gap after the green GIS. It is 3D but only just (screwed but not glued). It was up for sale but I have decided to finish it. However, that may not happen until after I retire in a couple of years. I would certainly like to reserve a low number if that's possible.

cheers,
    clay
    "The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast