Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Looking for Kayak plans

Hi all avid thread stalkers I just thought I'd amble up from the musical instrument section.

An old friend and neighbor asked me if I knew were to get some plans for a kayak. He built one many years ago and loaned it to a scout group who never returned it and he would like to build another for his grand daughters before he shuffle's off as he put it, he is 78 years young.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.
    Kindest regards to all

Wal
    <style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line- 120%; }</style> Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Abert_Einstein.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Wal, There are numerous websites offering plans. The better ones I have looked at in my search include Jem, CLC, Shearwater, Guillemot and Laughing Loon. Yes these are all in the US - there are sure to be other people who will recommend different ones. Plans offered include "stitch and glue" as well as "strip plank" construction and all use epoxy/fibreglass to bond and or coat the wood.

If your friend is not familiar with these methods some of the websites explain them in detail and Jem actually offers a free downloadable version of the Laker 13 which includes full instructions. If you download this it will show exactly what is involved in building this stitch and glue boat. I have nearly finished the "proper" Laker and it is a nice small all rounder - I think the free version would be nearly as good.
    Cheers, Bob the labrat

Measure once and.... the phone rings!

Pygmy as well.

Downside is that CLC and Pygmy and some of the others are only offering their new models as kits ... you cannot buy the plans. Many of the older boats they designed are quite good too. Big open cockpit kayak is the Mill Creek from CLC.

MIK

You haven't said that your friend is after a stitch and glue boat specifically. Tom Yost has some excellent skin on frame designs on his site. I have both, the SOF's are very light and strong, making them a pleasure to get onto roofracks compared to stitch and glue.

Regards,

James
    Last edited by yjnb; 23rd April 2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: linky

I've a book by Denis J Davis (ISBN 0 213 17804 4) on a very simple single seater ply kyak, if that is what you are after. It must be simple as I built the first as a 15 year old and another a few years later. Light, reasonably strong and a very straightforward build. See if you can find out a bit more detail on what your friend is after.

It has a half length keelson and strengthening strips in the gunwhales and either end of the seating area. The rest is ply, may be nothing like what he is after but the book was written in 1969 so I'm guessing the vintage is about right.

Howdy,

Dennis's DK13 is one of the absolute classics, a lovely little boat (just arch the front deck supports a bit higher for the knees. I don't think most of the other boats are up to the same standard. The DK14 can go over in a trice .. we were very much in love with Dennis' boats a long time ago.

And the DK13 is overlooked now with more complex boats the norm. The little DK will do 95% of what most paddlers want to do, costs 2/3 of nothing, is light and very elegant.

MIK

I was interested in your comments on the DK13 on cockpit room. The first one I built to the same design and was always a problem for the knees getting in and out. The second one we lengthened the cockpit slightly which seemed to fix the problem. It hadn't occured to me to raise the arch which seems the neater solution.

They were nice little boats, I went from those to a two seater glass, decked canadian, then married a non swimmer and that was the end of whitewater weekends. As a kid they were very light and easy to manouver, and did survive the white water up to a point.

Walcen, what do you desire in a kayak? These boats, more so then any other, can be tailored to suit the user's needs. Some folks like a nice stabile platform, while others want an easily propelled hot rod with minimal stability. Of course there are many variants in between these two.

It's an important consideration when choosing a kayak design. A serious paddlers will be disappointed with a wholesome craft, while a novice may find enjoyment difficult from a boat, that has stability similar to sitting on a floating log.

Dear gentlemen, I'm overwhelmed by your kind response, I know little to nothing about these small boats but jugging by the pics you've posted I think my old mate may have meant to say canoe, he sometime's gets a bit confused.

When I see him next, I will ask him and then get back to you with more info.

Kindest regards

Wal
    Last edited by walcen; 24th April 2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: fix typo's
    <style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line- 120%; }</style> Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Abert_Einstein.

That jem site is magic. I haddn't seen those before. That long rowable canoe is a beauty.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

While you are about it Wal, find out

- age, weight, height, & sense of balance of grand-daughter, and
    - your friend's preference & feelings on his ability with cutting out plywood panels, thin
    sticks of wood, glueing & fibreglassing. and
    - the projected use - sheltered still-water rivers & creeks, open bays & lakes,
    moving water ?

Very small human powered boats are most enjoyable if they are matched to the paddler.
    They are safest if matched to the waters they are used in.
    Building is most enjoyable if it matches the builders mental wiring.

cheers
    AJ

Thanks for the advice A J, my friend is a carpenter who's been at it for over 60 years and the things that he builds smack of craftsmanship all he needs is plans.

Kindest regards

Wal

Quote Originally Posted by walcen View Post
    Thanks for the advice A J, my friend is a carpenter who's been at it for over 60 years and the things that he builds smack of craftsmanship all he needs is plans.

Kindest regards

Wal

I figured he is capable Wal. Just trying to narrow down the options a bit to match boat
    to paddler. At the moment, the question is akin to "where can I buy a car?" without
    reference to size, engine, fuel, sedan/wagon, budget, etc, etc.

I designed an 11 footer for my daughter because decent boats for small people didn't
    exist 5 years ago, except for one of the Pygmy designs - waaaay out of my price-
    range. It has been a great boat for my girl - she is light-framed & has good
    balance. Most other kids her age feel cramped & insecure in it. They need to be in
    something a bit bigger. Pics below give an idea of volume difference between child & adult boats.

Anyway, there are some good options above for your friend to look at, especially the
    JEM site as he caters to a variety of tastes.

cheers
    AJ