Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mic-d View Post
    No need to loosen clamps. Presumably one is gluing perfectly flat boards resting on good quality sash clamps resting on a flat assembly table. The boards, if needing a tap at all, need only a small one. Of course if one lacks the skill to flatten a board and properly joint edges then dowelling is a good refuge.
    And it ain't my method, I learnt it from a professional woodworker and woodwork teacher, would you like to take it up with him?

Cheers
    Michael
    I think using a doweling jig doesn't negate the need to flatten and properly joint the edges. You still need to do these things well.
    Having said that, I don't dowel when jointing edges. I do sometimes dowel for cheap commission pieces when the quote gives no time for mortise and tenons (for rails etc). My Silex 30 jig is very quick and easy (quicker that setting up a router and bandsawing tenons).

Stu

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Stanley No. 59 Doweling Jig

Guys,

I have read and appreciate all of your comments. I am only a novice and learning so I have something productive to learn and do in my retirement. I want to learn how to make dovetail joints. Any comments or suggestions?

Ken

Default Stanley #59

After a little searching on the net I found copies of the original instructions and inserts

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...misc/59man.pdf
    http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...c/59insert.pdf

With the updated version (1970)
    http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...isc/59man2.pdf

Thank you Stan Faullin

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Guys,

I have read and appreciate all of your comments. I am only a novice and learning so I have something productive to learn and do in my retirement. I want to learn how to make dovetail joints. Any comments or suggestions?

Ken
    There should be some sort of tutorials or threads on this site about them Ken, try searching in the search tab just under your "Welcome, Kenneth" thing. Otherwise I would suggest either going to someone capable you might know to teach you, or buying an instructional book (there're plenty of sites on the web too)

My only advice would be to take your time, start small with just a couple of dovetails in soft wood like pine that you don't mind ruining, and go slow. It can be frustrating when you start, but will become very enjoyable and satisfying as you progress.

Also, my Dad has always told me to never mark out the spacing between your dovetails too accurately; he's never given a reason other to say that "That's How you gotta do it, good tradesmen always do like this." His teacher in Germany in the early fifties gave another apprentice no marks for his dovetails because he marked them out
    I think it's kinda cool because if your dovetails are too perfect they can look machine made. I follow this rule on drawers anyway (You get pretty accurate by eye after a while but mark them out thoroughly if they're seen on the outside of the project.

Anyway I've gone on a rant. Have fun.
    Dane

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123