Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bunnings and timber prices - just wondering where?

Hi all,
    Seems that many opinions here say that Bunnings prices aren't the best for timber - pricewise I mean. (I know it takes time to go through the stack to find the straight lengths out of the many twisty ones...been there, done that last weekend)
    It's not a huge sample I know, but just now I've been in the market for some treated pine for backyard construction stuff (a tree house actually) and so far, I've been unable to match Bunnings prices - which is a bit of a pain, because I wanted to try out their 15% guarantee at the same time )
    Been looking at 45x190 and 45x90 F7 H3 mainly, and the closest alternative I've found is $6.05 vs Bunnings price of $5.73 linear metre for 45x90. Some places were over $7.00 a metre for the same stuff! It's all the same "Laserframe" branded product form Carter Holt Harvey F7 and H3 DAR with those little grooves from the machine.

So, now I'm curious as to where you guys would buy project amounts of timber? I'm talking Melbourne S.E suburbs by the way....It's not a major problem - I'm looking at about $200 all up, but 15% is $30 after all )

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Geoff,

I buy my pine and general Tassie Oak from Hazelwood and Hill in Burwood. They have always given me excellent service and their prices are reasonable.

Their timber is straight and they don't mind you going through it to select.

Best to give them a bell to compare prices.

- Wood Borer

Geoff,
    That's not a bad price. A bit out of your way but you could try Bayswater Timber (Mitre 10), they are pretty good with prices and (if they happen to be more expensive) have been known to beat Bunnings if you ask nicely. If you are really nice they will help you hand pick what you're after. Their number is 9729 1333.
    Have you tried Tait Timber in Glen Iris?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Borer
    Geoff,

I buy my pine and general Tassie Oak from Hazelwood and Hill in Burwood. They have always given me excellent service and their prices are reasonable.

Their timber is straight and they don't mind you going through it to select.

Best to give them a bell to compare prices.

- Wood Borer
    Thanks for that ) I rang, and they were both helpful and cheaper...
    $5.50 l/m for what I'm after (and now I know it's called "Rougher Header" for some reason...)

Cheers,
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastie
    Geoff,

Have you tried Tait Timber in Glen Iris?

Mark
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the post - yep - Tait's were the start of my search actually - $6.45 l/m for the 45x90

Cheers,
    Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffVIC; 22nd June 2004 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling!!

Geoff,

One the side, Carter use CCA to treat their pine of this grade. Given the construction is for a tree house with the potential for lots of little hands and mouths, I would be considering painting the structure.

CCA timber has received a lot of bad press over the last few years, particularly in the US, where it has been banned (I think ?) for use on child’s play equipment. Pathways of exposure are predominantly ingestion, through direct chewing, ingestion of residue from hands etc or inhalation of particulates.

Personally, for me the jury is still out w.r.t risk for this type of exposure, but if it were my kids ... then again, we have all survived the CCA play equipment to be posting here
    This message has been proudly brought to you by Bunyip

Bunyip,
    thanks for that - the prospective tenants are 6 and 9, so hopefully over the chewing/gnawing stage... but you point is well taken.

Would staining be as effective as painting?

Cheers,
    Geoff

Geoff,

Give Chippy's Timber (phone 9879 4296) of Maroondah Highway Ringwood a call. Whilst I can't find my latest price list the December 03 price list showed Treated Pine kiln dried F7 rougher header 90 *45 @ $ 5.20 and 190 * 45 @ $10.30 a Lmt.

If you are going to use it to beat Bunnies down ask for a copy of their pricelist. Personally I buy my timber from them as they also have better quality stuff than Bunnies.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    Geoff,

Give Chippy's Timber (phone 9879 4296) of Maroondah Highway Ringwood a call.
    I just looked them up - they are in Richmond as well, even better )

Whilst I can't find my latest price list the December 03 price list showed Treated Pine kiln dried F7 rougher header 90 *45 @ $ 5.20 and 190 * 45 @ $10.30 a Lmt.
    I'll drop by on the way to work tomorrow to have a look....

If you are going to use it to beat Bunnies down ask for a copy of their pricelist. Personally I buy my timber from them as they also have better quality stuff than Bunnies.
    Thanks again for the info! I'm feeling chagrined for buying my previous stuff from Bunnings now when there are so many better alternatives.

What an excellent knowledge base we have here in this board...... )

Cheers,
    Geoff

Try Tile Importers in Natalia Ave (I think Oakleigh Sth is the suburb). Last time I noted their prices in December last year they were quoting $3.90/m for 90x45 and $7.45 for 190x45. On builder's timber I've found them one of the cheapest suppliers in Melbourne, but don't expect super high levels of customer service, and be prepared to jostle with some determined tradey types.

I think they've been mentioned a couple of times on this BB, try doing a search.

Cheers,

Justin.