Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Help with Huanyang VFd

I recently purchased a 1.5kw air-cooled spindle and VFD inverter from Aoran Bai in China.
    I have just had it wired up by an electrician, but when we started the motor, it ran slowly for about 45 seconds, got very hot, and smoke started coming from the motor housing.
    We stopped everything and allowed the motor to cool. We then checked all the wiring, which was correct.
    We also checked the terminals on the motor and got 7.6 ohms on each terminal.
    We also checked the current and voltage settings in the inverter to ensure that they match with those in the manual paperwork, which they did.
    We then tried again, but with the same results – the motor ran slowly, and started to get very hot again.
    We then stopped everything and again checked the terminals for the motor windings – each one read around 8 ohms.
    At this stage, the electrician is stumped and does not know what to suggest.
    Could you please put your mind/ thoughts to this problem and advise if you can.
    Also, any thoughts on how I can do a 'factory reset'??
    Very puzzled.
    Cheers
    Noel

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Noel,

That does not sound good at all. Hopefully someone can help you out with it and its a very minor problem. First would be to triple check that the VFD is rated to 1.5KW which i'm sure it is.

I also had a bit of a look through the manual for you. On page 19 the code for Factory Reset(parameter reset) is PD013. There is more detail on pg29. I'm not sure about a full VFD reset setting. I Haven't spent the time to sit down and read it fully yet.

Daniel
    EDIT: Maybe someone here that has a spindle up and running could do a quick guide on how to wire it up and set it up for use here in Australia.

Thanks daniel
    managed to finally work it out.
    Apparently on these inverters you have to set the frequency lower limit to around 120hz or the fan in the spindle does not come on, thereby overheating the spindle.
    Another new trick for old dogs!!
    Working well now - now have to machine a new, larger mount for the spindle and hopefully we are in business.
    By the way - the air-cooled spindle ispleasingly very quiet, and now that it is getting sufficient oomph, it is also very cool.
    Cheers
    Noel

Hey Noel,

Thats great to hear. Also good to hear that it is quiet. I'm waiting delivery on my 2.2kw version and can only hope it looks just as good an that it is just as quiet being a water cooled model. Look forward to seeing what your spindle will churn out.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Only just found this forum and spotted someone linking to my build thread over on the zone (I'm flattered). I'm very close to getting a 2.2Kw from linearmotionbearings over on ebay myself and will be very interested in how you go and how long the delivery is. Also going to get a ballscrew.

Figured I should buy some goodies to reignite the enthusiasim and get me building again.

Cheers

Mark in Gosford

Quote Originally Posted by mhasting2004 View Post
    Hi Daniel

Only just found this forum and spotted someone linking to my build thread over on the zone (I'm flattered). I'm very close to getting a 2.2Kw from linearmotionbearings over on ebay myself and will be very interested in how you go and how long the delivery is. Also going to get a ballscrew.

Figured I should buy some goodies to reignite the enthusiasim and get me building again.

Cheers

Mark in Gosford

Mark ask Chai to remove the water nipples as they always get damaged in transit or ask him to send a couple extra just in case.

Sean
    I like to move it move it, I like to move it.

Yeer Mark, Listen to Sean.

I just spent 2 weeks drilling and picking the threads from the broken water inlets.

Just in case someone has to fix these, they are 8mm fine pitch thread (ie 1mm, not standard 1.25mm thread)

I also told him to send me some replacement inlets, some collets and a new nut for my troubles.

/M

Chai has assured me that the are better protected now. Just have to take my chances.

Would it not have been simpler to drill out all the threads and put in a helicoil? Might have sealing issues.. Just thinking aloud incase I have to fix mine too.

Thanks for all the help guys

Hey Mark, good to see you here. You'll find plenty of information here.

In regards to the spindle shipping with nipples, don't worry about it, they are now shipped with a solid cardboard tube and solid foam that sits over the nipples. If it were to break they must have been playing soccer with it at the luggage terminal. lol. I asked our good mate if he can remove the nipples and he told me that they won't do this since when they

" When we making testing, we fixed the water joints with water-proof glue".

This new protection however is pretty darn safe.

Daniel

Mine were in "Solid" cardboard and have foam over the ends. It doesn't stop them breaking, especially when the hit is directed on the rear end of the unit. What is needed is a single box with the VFD and spindle enclosed. The chinese are so tight that they use light weight packaging to save on transport cost ($).

Plus the sealant that they use is incorrect. They should be using a water sealant which doesn't dry like the thread lock stuff. When I re-fitted the water inlets i used Loctite 565 from memory which is made for water seals. If the threads ever break again I guarantee they will come out without having to re-drill.

I didn't use heli-coils as i don't know if i can get a water seal with these. It was easy enough to drill, pick and re-tap. I have all these handy at TAFE school.

QUESTION: Does anyone have the setup setting for the Huanyang VFD for a water cooled 1.5Kw spindle. I will be putting mine back together tonight and need to wire and set-up the controller.

/M