Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast

Hi,
    I've wired my 1.5kw water cooled spindle as per the wiring diagram from Homann Designs.
    I'm using a G540 drive with a smooth stepper, I'm able to start and stop the spindle from mach 3.
    When the spindle starts it spins up to 24000 rev's no matter what speed I have set in Mach 3.
    As far as I can tell I have all the parameters set as previously posted by others.
    On the VFD unit I've got 10v at the 10Vdc terminal going to input#9 of the 540. When I start the spindle I get about 7.5v's at the Vi terminal and it's the same for any speed I set in Mach 3.

Any ideas on how to get the control working right.

Regards,

Ken

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Ken

I'm unfamiliar with the HD wiring diagram but maybe take a step back by disconnecting the HD board and just putting a 10K variable resistor between VR and ACM with the center swipe on VI. This uses the VFD internal 10vdc supply and will at least verify that the VFD is functioning as it should.

If Vi is not changing with inputs from mach when using the HD board it sounds like the problem is either in the setup of Mach or the HD board. Taking a step backwards will at least eliminate one of the 3 possible issues.

Good luck.

Mark

And did you follow and read the link in post 224 on this page?
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Hi Mark,
    I couldn't get a 10K variable resistor with three terminals but a guy at work had a variable resistor with two leads that I hooked up between the VFD 10v+ and the Vi terminal. Measuring the voltage at the Vi terminal I can get a voltage of between 0-9.8V's but no change of spindle speed (still 24000rev's).

Bob
    I've read the link on post 224 about 5 times but haven't find the missing piece to get things working right. I'm not using a DC06 board, just the smooth stepper and G540 drive.

Why do they make it so hard to set up???

Regards,
    Ken

Hi Ken,
    Don't worry I had heaps of trouble with the smoothstepper and G540 spindle control but I expected that as it is that darn electrickery.
    Are your VFD settings
    PD001 set to 1 *
    PD002 set to 1
    PD070 set to 0
    * Note that Mike in his document says PD001 set to 0 works for his VFD. Mine worked on 1.
    The above are the ones controlling the potentiometer of the VFD.While you are at it check these setting on your VFD
    PD003 400
    PD004 400
    PD005 400
    PD006 2.5
    PD008 220
    PD009 15
    PD010 8
    PD011 120
    PD027 3
    PD028 3
    PD072 400
    PD141 220
    PD142 7
    PD143 2
    PD144 3000
    These are the only setting I changed from the facotry settings
    Cheers,
    Rod

Ken take a quick trip down to your local Jaycar (one in Lithgow) they will sell you what you need to test for around $2. You need a three terminal trimpot not a rheostat which is what it sound like you have. What you are making is a voltage devider between the 10vdc and ground (AGM) with the center swipe on the Vi terminal... any value resistor will do just go 10k or more to limit the current draw.

The way you describe how you have hooked it up its just actinga s a pullup resistor so fixed to max speed.

Hi Rod,
    it was great talking to you at the BBQ, after reading your post something did click and now I can change the spindle speed with the variable resistor.
    I had PD011 set to 400 , changed it 100 and now I can vary the speed.

The problem now is that I can't change it from Mach 3. When I measure the voltage between ACM and 10V on the VFD I get 10volts.
    When I measure between ACM and Vi terminals I get 8.40 volts all the time (spindle stopped or going). If I start the spindle it rev's to around the 20,280 mark.

How would I go about finding if the problem was in the G540 , the smooth stepper or mach 3.

Regards,
    Ken

Hi Ken,
    Likewise the BBQ was a good opportunity to meet and chat.

Yep the PD011 at 400 will limit you a bit
    I am conservative and set mine a bit higher at 7200 rpm lowest speed.

So that proves the VFD is working so now for the hard bit.

Here is my efforts with PWM through a smoothstepper/G540 combo.

First the PWM function is taken over by the smoothstepper if one is fitted so you have to tick the PWM box in the Smoothstepper config. Other than that download Mike's manual which is in this thread and follow his instructions. Good information in there.

I couldn't get it to work and got terribly frustrated so thinking it was the G540 I got a second BOB (C10 from CNC4PC) and a Homann DC03 and then bypassed the G540.

Again I couldn't get it to work and frustrated to heck I got a Homann DC06 which is a step/direction and finally got it to work through the smoothstepper and C10. Holding my breath I put the covers back on the electronics enclosure and will never open that door unless it fails.

Conclusion for me was the smoothstepper PWM signal was a constant in both of those attempts so that is the most likely problem - not saying the board is faulty just that I couldn't figure it out. Don't be put off by the above as I am useless on this electrickery. No skills just logic to get me through it.

It would be great if you can get it working through the smoothstepper/G540 combo as I have a new machine with the same components that I would love to get running without having to get additional boards.

To the electroinc gurus on this forum can you chime in and give some assistance to Ken and myself.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Can't offer any help with the PWM setup as I've not gone that route... I do wonder why you wouldn't just get a RS485 adapter and go serial comms and plugin.. works for me.

There is a caveat though as some have had dramas with missing components in the VFD and noise issues are always a problem so proper grounding is nessesary.

Hi Mark,
    I was lookikng at the RS485 adapter route, but my VFD is missing the 485 chip.
    I got a chip and a RS485 adapter but couldn't get anyone local to solder the chip in and there is no way I could it (to to small).

Regards,

Ken

Hi Ken

Are you in Wallerawang NSW near Lithgow? If yes then maybe I could help out. Got a bit on this week but give me a holler if you want.

Hi Mark,
    Yes I'm near Lithgow and would appreciate any help I can get. Let me know what you had in mind.

Regards,

Ken

Good news, I now can change the spindle speed with mach 3. My problem was bad soldering on one of my plugs (my bad).

The only thing now is when the relay clicks in to start the spindle, it takes about 5 seconds before it starts. once it starts if very slow getting to the set speed. Measuring between the ACM terminal and the Vi terminal it climbs at 0.01v per second.
    How or what do I change to increase the reaction time.

Regards,

Ken

Do you mean that it takes 5 seconds before Mach3 sends a signal to the spindle?

If so, then go to Config,, Ports and pins, spindle setup. Make sure that the settings there are only 1 second or whatever you require.

Bob Willson
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Hi Bob,
    When i enter a speed in the MDI interface tab eg ; m3 s6000 and hit enter, the relay clicks in straight away but its about 5 seconds before the spindle start to turn, it will then slowly build up speed to the requested rev's.
    The voltage at Vi climbs at about 0.01v's per second, so it takes a while to get to 24000.
    I've checked the settings on the Config,, Ports and pins, spindle setup page and they are set to 1 second.

Will do more testing tomorrow.

Regards,
    Ken