Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast

Hi Mike

Been awhile since I initially tested mine via hardwire like that, but from memory I had the external legs of the pot to +10 and ACM and the center wipe to VI and think I used a 10k or even 100K pot to reduce the current used. Basic voltage devider mode.

Been awhile like I say so could be wrong

BTW nice documentation!... want to write some of my messy notes up

Cheers

Mark

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I tried your setup but couldnt get it working.

Sure, how much you paying . I am happy to be paid in VFD's

Sorry I'm broke like everyone else this time of year

It almost sounds like its a current drive not a voltage one... In any case best practice would be to short out the free leg of the pot to the wiper leg so as not to have a floating input.

From memory there is a Ai setup versus a Vi and that is what the circle is indication on the schematic (symbol for a current source). I'd have to rewire stuff to test it out again and happy with my current comms/plugin setup so if it works for you then

Cheers

Post Add potentiometer to front of HY vfd.

It was done that somewhere earlier but without pics. so my post shows how I did it.

10k linear potentiometer - from altronics cat. no. R1976,
    set the jumper from VI to VR - check pic. where is that jumper (yellow circle),
    set PD002 to 1, this is "external terminal",
    set PD073 and PD072 to set lower and higher analog frequency,
    set PD070 to 1, analog input 0~5V, to get full range potentiometer control,

Ren

Thats a nice neat job. Thanks for the post

Great post, very useful and informative. Well done.

Hi All,

Just thought I'd post a message to let people know that I have been following this post for a long time now trying to get my 1.5kw Huanyang VFD to talk to Mach3.

I have the direction connected via a relay (Output 1 - G540) and the spindle starts and stops as directed. The problem I was having is controlling the actual speed from within Mach3 - it would always go to 24000 RPM or whatever max analog frequency I set in PD072.

What I finally discovered today, was that I had to change the jumper setting inside the vfd near the terminal block from the right hand side 2-3 (VR) to the left 1-2 (VI). Now I can control the spindle speed via the MDI (M3 S13500). BTW the jumper is labeled J1 and is to the right of the green terminal blocks.

The problem I'm having now is that is that to issue a spindle speed of 12000RPM, I have to enter it as M3 S1200 - 1/10th the actual speed. I'm sure its just a simple VFD setting.

Hope this might be of some help to someone.

Regards,
    Damon

Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Thanks Bob, but it appears it was all to do with the minimum spindle speed under spindle pulley setup. If I set the minimum to be 8000 rpm, I could not get mach and the vfd to display the same RPM as the spindle pulley ratio changes. For now I have set the minimum to 0 and all tracks within 100 or so RPM. When I get a chance, I think I'll try changing the minimum frequency in the VFD to protect itself from low spindle speeds (<8000 RPM).

Thanks to everyone that has posted in this forum. Without everyone's input, I would not have got as far as I have.

Regards,
    Damon

Purchased a 2.2KW VFD from ebay (Was supposed to be a 1.5KW but the seller sent me the 2.2KW ) and hooked it up to a standard 3 phase motor in Delta (1HP)

I can get it running fine but I have a high pitch noise coming from the motor, I did some searching online and some were saying to lower the carrier frequency, PD041 was already set at 4 which is 3KHz so having a play around with it the best setting seemed to be 15 which was 20KHz but it still has a tiny amount of whine, I was wondering if there are other settings I should be looking into that can cause the high pitch noise?

Morning all.

I've recently completed my build of a G540 kit from Peter Homann. This is hooked up to my Water 6545 chinese CNC, with a 1.5kW spindel. I have everything working, and the steppers moving, but I can't get my VFD to accept spindle control from Mach3.

Attached is a picture of how I've wired up the control lines to the VFD from teh G540, with Red being terminal 9 (+VDC), Green being terminal 8 (Input) and black being terminal 7 (GND).

My VFD settings that have changed from factory defaults are

PD001 - 0 (not using relay control, running straight from power, so I just hit there 'run' button on the VFD when ready)
    PD002 - 1
    PD003 - 400
    PD004 - 400
    PD005 - 400
    PD006 - 2.5 or 20, I tried both. Not sure which is correct as I've seen various opinions
    PD007 - 4
    PD008 - 220
    PD009 - 15
    PD010 - 8
    PD0111 - 120 (water cooled, so not sure if this is necessary, but set it anyway)
    PD027 - 3
    PD028 - 3
    PD070 - 0
    PD071 - 20
    PD072 - 400
    PD073 - 0
    PD074 - 0
    PD141 - 200
    PD142 - 7
    PD143 - 2 or 4 (tried both, how do you know which setting to use?)
    PD144 - 3000

What's happening is basically nothing. No matter what I do in Mach3, there is no response on the VFD display, and the spindle does not move. The VFD displays F000.00, constantly when I press the 'run' button. If I change PD002 back to 0, the spindle spins up, and the display cycles to F400.00

I've loaded the G540 config file supplied by Gecko. As I'm not using the relays, I've checked disable motor relay control, but it doesn't work checked or unchecked anyway. I have 'use spindle motor control' checked, and PWM set to 50 & 5%. The spindle motor control is enabled, set to pin 14 and even though the Gecko file set the ports to 0, I think that should be 1, which is what it's currently set to, but I tried it both ways with no difference.

So, from what I can see, everything is set as it should be, but when I do a M3 S10000 in Mach 3, and click the "Spindle CW (F5)" button, the button flashes yellow, but there is zero response from the VFD.

I'd like to put a Multimeter on the output terminals inside the VFD to see if any signal is coning through from the G540, but I'm not an electronics guru, and not sure if it's safe, what the procedure is, or whether there's a chance I'll electrocute myself.

I've been trying to get this thing working for over 4 months now. If anyway can suggest what might be wrong, or what further I can test, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks. Russell.
    Last edited by BoomerangInfo; 26th December 2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Oops, forgot the photo
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

OK I had a little help from knowledgeable in-laws today, but even they are stumped now.

We put a voltmeter across the ACM/+10V lines while it was running,and got approximately 10V. Testing the ACM/VI & VI/+10V line showed 0V (while activating the SPINDLE CW button in Mach3 - that's how you spin up the spindle isn't it?).

We then jumpered from the +10V line to the VI line, and the spindle spun up to 400Hz (well 330ish actually, but the jumper was hand-held, so I guess it lost some voltage) as expected.

SO, I don't think it appears tio be a VFD problem, but for some reason either Pin 14 on the parallel cable is not transmitting, or terminal 8 (the control line) on the G540 is not transmitting. I tested every pin in my parallel cable for continuity, and it seems fine. Not sure where to go from here.

Russell.

Try putting a value of 2 into PDO70. This changes the value from a voltage to an amperage.

Not sure what the difference will be, but that is the only difference that I can see between your circuit and mine. Although this does assume that you are using the DC-03 from Peter.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willson View Post
    Try putting a value of 2 into PDO70. This changes the value from a voltage to an amperage.

Not sure what the difference will be, but that is the only difference that I can see between your circuit and mine. Although this does assume that you are using the DC-03 from Peter.
    I'm using the G540, so probably slightly different, but I did use your original document Bob, to check if I had any settings different to yours, and did try a 2 in there, but it made no difference.

I've been trying to find a way to test the voltage on the parallel pins, but with no luck. There's several test programs to do it, but they all assume an internal LPT port, and do not let me put in the PCI card address. I also tried to trick the controller my swapping the pins of the spindle controller, to try and get any signal out pin 14, but with no luck. I'm suspecting maybe my parallel port pin 14 isn't outputting a signal.

Is this because you believe that the pin may be broken or because Mach is not outputting a signal.

If the former, then try using a different pin.
    Bob Willson