Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2732333435363738 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GilchristT View Post
    Hi all. Firstly thanks for the many informative posts on this thread.

I've written a standalone controller app for use with this VFD. It's based on the work of Scruffoid and his Spindle Talker 2 app which was invaluable in getting my own working. See below for screenshots. More details are available on https://github.com/GilchristT/SpindleTalker2/releases where you can download a copy of the program and/or the source code (Visual C#).

Unfortunately it's Windows only. You'll need to have the .NET 4.0 Framework or above installed.

This is a beta release and still needs some work. If anyone's interested in it, I'd love to hear any feedback. I'm posting slightly earlier than I would normally release code because I'm heading out to Australia for a month so it only seemed fitting to post here first

Attachment 309193Attachment 309194

Thanks

Tommy
    I am attempting to get another VFD plugin working for Mach3. I would start spindle then ESTOP and spindle stopped.

I remembered reading this thread, so downloaded and installed. Worked perfectly, picked up my VFD config, I could select any of the preset speeds and spindle ramped to that speed.

So looking good

Gordon.
    Gordon

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'm in need of assistance.

VFD Plugin for Mach3, can't get it to work properly. Back to using Gecko. I can start / stop spindle, but speed is not correct. I have searched, double checked VFD settings - all to no avail.

What I do know, is that Spindle Talker 2, works and VFD speed follows request. So can I ASS-U-UME that spindle and VFD are set correctly?

If so, the I have something in MACH3 not right or maybe Gecko is at issue.

Here are a sample of speeds requested via Mach and speed showing on VFD.

2000 2736
    2500 3264
    5000 5496
    8000 8184
    10000 9886
    15000 13632
    20000 15264
    24000 16680

I have spindle pulley #1 selected with Min Speed (0), Max Speed (24000) and Ratio (1)
    Gordon

I haven't used the plugin or the Gecko 540 for spindle control but if the signal is step and direction then you do this.
    Open "Config" then "Motor Tuning" and click on the "Spindle" button.
    Set "Steps per" to 1000
    Adjust "Velocity" to get your VFD matching the Mach3 screen. A good starting point is 1000 and you will soon work out if you need to go higher or lower.
    You will have to "Save Axis Settings" before trying it.

If your signal is PWM then forget what I have said and wait for somebody who knows to reply.

By the way I would set my pulleys to minimum of 6,000 RPM as the spindles heat up too much below this speed.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Default Mach3 VFD Driver by royaumedeole

I have made progress

I came across this message:

"The EM stop is being activated because of the EStop Threshold limit is being reached in the VFD plugin configuration. You can try to raise the number or just leave it blank and that should stop the EStop from being activated."

I had the threshold at ZERO, what I didn't realize is that there are threshold settings for ALL the monitoring choices (AC Voltage, Current, DC Voltage etc). I zeroed them all and ........ lift off! The VFD Modbus driver works!

I would still like to nut out the reason the Gecko control (PWM) is not functioning correctly.
    Gordon

Default Braking resistor on Huanyang?

Has anyone here successfully implemented a braking resistor on an HY VFD?

I have read most threads on many forums about the often - if not generally - braking control circuit parts in these VFDs. I have 3 of them and none have all the control components.... I've ordered the missing bits (not very expensive - ~ $11) and will fit them and solder them in. Of course I have no idea if the processor code contains the required braking logic to make the control actually work ....
    Anyway, others have described the detailed process of retrofitting the bits, but no-one has documented actual success....

PS: I've corresponded with two of the many Huangyang manufacturers directly http://www.hy-electrical.com/index_e.asp and http://www.fullwill.com.cn/indexen.asp to make a connection with technical staff. Both replied but have not yet provided me any helpful informations....
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

How have you made out adding the braking circuit to your VFD? I've just purchased one of these with a 2.2kw spindle that's still in the mail. Hope to receive it early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by jhovel View Post
    Has anyone here successfully implemented a braking resistor on an HY VFD?

I have read most threads on many forums about the often - if not generally - braking control circuit parts in these VFDs. I have 3 of them and none have all the control components.... I've ordered the missing bits (not very expensive - ~ $11) and will fit them and solder them in. Of course I have no idea if the processor code contains the required braking logic to make the control actually work ....
    Anyway, others have described the detailed process of retrofitting the bits, but no-one has documented actual success....

PS: I've corresponded with two of the many Huangyang manufacturers directly http://www.hy-electrical.com/index_e.asp and http://www.fullwill.com.cn/indexen.asp to make a connection with technical staff. Both replied but have not yet provided me any helpful informations....

Default Huanyang dynamic braking works!

OK all, I never got any feedback to my previous question, so I just continued my own research, installation and evaluation.
    All the information about the missing parts in many Huanyang VFDs is available on the Mach3 forum (CNC enthusiasts) here:
    http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...14182.180.html
    I fitted the bits when they arrived from eBay (total cost $11 delivered) and found a (barely) suitable resistor element to test my implementation.
    The result is that it works like a charm. Instead of going on about the details, I made a little video of my trial installation on my milling machine.
    I will now fit the parts to my lathe VFD as well and look for a couple of heavier duty braking resistors. Looks like they need to be 200W for my 3kW VFDs.
    Here is the video:
    http://youtu.be/cOMjNhSRAe0
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

I will now fit the parts to my lathe VFD as well and look for a couple of heavier duty braking resistors. Looks like they need to be 200W for my 3kW VFDs.
    Here is the video:
    http://youtu.be/cOMjNhSRAe0
    Joe, The video shows up as "private".
    [EDIT] Thanks for fixing this Joe.

RE; heavier duty braking resistors
    What about using some heater element wire?
    I see you look like you are using sometthing similar!

I actually have a heating element somewhere that looks exactly like a commercial braking resistor. It must have fallen out of the useful box at some time I'll find it.... From memory its a 500W element.
    Cheers,
    Joe

I actually have a heating element somewhere that looks exactly like a commercial braking resistor. It must have fallen out of the useful box at some time I'll find it.... From memory its a 500W element.
    Hi Joe, I like the toaster,

I do have some big ceramic nichrome wire resistors in a box, remind me next time you are over here and I'll dig some out for you.

Ray

There was a question about remotely locating the control panel from a Huanyang VFD and what cable to use etc.
    In my searches I came across this:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-...824343966.html
    It is a separate identical HY control panel complete with a plastic panel mounting box and 5m of cable with the right end connectors.
    The price seems quite good to me - and no shipping cost.
    That would allow you to have the remote panel without the big hole in the front of the VFD. I haven;t figured out yet if you can have both of them active at the same time.... that would be something. I'll chase that info....
    Cheers,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Hi Joe, I like the toaster,

I do have some big ceramic nichrome wire resistors in a box, remind me next time you are over here and I'll dig some out for you.

Ray
    I'll gladly take you up on that Ray!

Tonight I fitted my other 3kW HY VFD with the missing brake circuit bits and resinstalled it in the enclosure. This is my lathe VFD.
    The lathe has a 3kW 970rpm (six pole) motor and seems to have noticably less inertia as a result for a give frequency.
    The resistor doesn't glow with this motor and doesn't get overly hot with rapidly repeated stops and accelerations to 120Hz.
    Anyway, it seems to stop the lathe almost instantaneously from any speed up to about 50Hz, moves perceptibly a little further around above that and looks like it stops in about a full revolution of the chuck from 120 Hz.
    Calculating back from my 0.1 sec deceleration ramp, the 8" chuck (drive ratio about 1:2) decelerates from ~1160rpm to 0 in about 1.9 revolutions. 0.1 sec is the lowest ramp you can set.
    I can live with that for an emergency stop
    Cheers,
    Joe

. . . . . . Calculating back from my 0.1 sec deceleration ramp, the 8" chuck (drive ratio about 1:2) decelerates from ~1160rpm to 0 in about 1.9 revolutions. 0.1 sec is the lowest ramp you can set. I can live with that for an emergency stop
    0.1 seconds is great but the "total emergency stop time" also has to take into account the reaction time to realise there is a problem, and the time to move a hand/leg/hip from wherever it is to the stop button.

Unanticipated reaction time will be significantly greater than an additional 0.1 seconds, while the time needed to move a hand/leg/hip to the stop depends on distance from the button and what it might already be holding. Other factors like tiredness, medication etc also play a part. In total the overall time could be as much as one second.

I hate hate to drag up the past but I am having a real problem with my air cooled 1.5kw spindle.

The spindle just won't start. Now the first thing I should mention is the this unit has been working just fine for the last 12 months plus. I set up a small job hit the button on the VFD panel and nothing... 😤

The display just had F00.00 flashing. Looking at this thread I made changes as recommended but no luck!

I checked for a broken wire at first. No luck! I can't think of anything that has changed!

Then checked the rest of The VFD settings. No luck!

I compared the basic settings against the post below from the start of this thread. They matched. Stil no luck!

I have run out of ideas so any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by seafurymike View Post
    Hi Noel and co,

Before i wire anything and program the VFD, I would like to consolidate and verify what I understand I should be doing for my water cooled spindle.

Here is what I believe the wiring and VFD settings should be set too:

Input to VFD:
    240V Active - R
    240V Neutral - S
    Ground - E

Output to Motor (use shielded cable BW VFD and Motor):
    U - Pin1
    V - Pin2
    W - Pin3
    Ground - Pin4 (Bolted to spindle case in some manner to provide good earth)

VFD Setup:

First:
    Change PD001 Source of Run Commands to '1'
    Change PD005 Max operating frequency to 400hz
    Change PD004 base frequency to 400hz
    Change PD003 Main frequency to 400hz
    Change PD006 Intermediate frequency to 2.5
    Change PD008 max voltage to 220v
    Change PD009 Intermediate voltage to 15v
    Change PD010 Min voltage to 8
    Change PD011 frequency lower limit to >100hz (120hz to start)
    Change PD142 7 Amps
    Change PD143 2
    Change PD144 3000

Also attached is a wiring diagram that I received.

Craig

My first question would be how are you controlling the speed? via comms , keypad or potentiometer.

A flashing F00.00 just means it is not moving and may not have received a speed command so not an error code. From memory F400.0 would indicate full speed ie 24,000rpm
    I'd have to dig up my old notes but I'd suggest setting the VFD up for input via the keypad and set the speed manually to ensure that the drive is fine and then work your way back from there.

Cheers

Mark