Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New scroll saw User advice needed

I wish to purchase my first scroll saw for hobby use, making small softwood models/shapes etc.
    I have read "The New Scroll Saw Handbook" (Spielman) published 2002 and like the idea of Parallel-arm mechanics. I have briefly tested a Carba-Tec 18" variable speed scroll saw, model CT-SS18V, which seems similar to a 'Trupro' model.
    Does anyone have (positive or negative) comment or advice regarding this model scroll saw ?
    Thank you.
    :rolleyes:

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi,
    I have a WMS, from Helen Harris, not sure that they are available any more, see
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f19/review-wms-18-scroll-2-speed-41479

for review (I hope - so that you can see the picture).
    I believe that my WMS, the Trupro and the Carbetec are very similar if not out of the same factory in Taiwan. Seems to be a Hegner clone.
    Whilst no way an expert at the scrollsaw I am very satisfied with mine. My WMS is variable speed, unlike the review mentioned above, and I did buy the Hegner 'quick release' clamp afterwards. Wouldn't know if the WMS is exactly in the same class as a Hegner (Hegner has a reputation as being the best - mind it's price is like that too!!) but it must come close. The blower, which might not seem to be important but I reckon is, is brilliant. Price for price I reckon you couldn't do better.
    Hope it helps.
    Bob H.

The detail in the photograph attached to the 'WMS' review is very similar to the Carba-Tec model I tested in Sydney this week. Also similar to Hegner model (pictures) I have seen.
    I have read many responses to similar question about other makes/models but non specifically mentions the Carba-Tec CT-SS18V. I also tested the Excalibar but it out of my price range.
    Thank you for your comments.

Hello Jeffflan

I have been using a Tru Pro saw for going on to two years now. I understand that the Carba Tec is the same saw. I owned four other saws before the Tru Pro and wasn't happy with them but I am very pleased with my Tru Pro.

I bought it knowing that it was very similar to the Hegna and while reading many books and talking to people I was convinced that Hegna was the saw most people where lookling to when they wanted quality.

I consider it a must to buy the Hegna clamps especialy the top clamp. They are not cheap but don't consider trying to work without one.

I use my saw on many projects. Some are very fine work as well as not so fine and I also cut some of our Australian hardwoods such as Iron Bark. I have no problem with any of them.

I bought my saw from Carrol's in Victoria and have found their service second to none. I buy my blades from Harrise's and also find their price very good as is their service.

If you buy a Tru Pro or a like saw I am sure you will be very pleased as I am and you will enjoy a great hobby

Red Gum

Thank you for your response.
    I will follow your advice and look for Hegna clamps. I have read a similar suggestion elsewhere. Can't remember where, or what prompted the suggestion, but it sends a strong message about User preference.
    I assume the Hegna clamps are available from an on-line source.
    Thanks again.
    Jeffflan

I am shore the Hegna clamps are available from Carroll's. Their address can be found in the Aust Woodworker magazine or on the internet

Red Gum

Also try Harris Traders (Helen Harris) - type in Harris Traders in the search.
    Bob H.

I found the Hegna quick release clamps on Carroll's website. Made contact and they said they were in short supply, however if they could get one they would bring it to the WWW show, Sydney.
    They did and I have now learned the benefit of your advice.
    Thank you.

You can also find anything to do with the "Hegner" here:
    http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/site/...tml&pg=1000510

Juvy
    Woodcrafters Haven
    Wodonga - Supplies for Turners and Woodcrafters
    Mobile 0407261703