Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Downdraft Table or Suction Hose or both?

Im posting this here as its more carving related then anything else....

I use the arbatech carving attachments on the grinder and electric planers mostly when carving, with 1/3 and 1/4 sheet sanders to follow up.
    What dust extraction system would be best? A downdraft table or a Suction hose?
    I havent seen either for a number of years and wasnt looking that hard at what I did see.....so Im pretty green in this department.
    As most of you know who use Arbortech 4" grinders wood dust and chips goes all over the joint...usually all over me too! So very dusty....also one tends to be moving around the sculpture thus a small suction set up say for a fixed tool (bandsaw) would not be adequate as of the large area needed to be sucked up.

Thoughts?
    "Ya cant trust a pig with watermelon ya know"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

the arbortech spits those chips pretty fast and far Earthling,
    I'm not aware of any dust extraction system that will alter their trajectory a great deal ,
    I'd just take it outside and let em fly.
    On hot days I set up a huuge pedestal fan that'll just about blow the tools out of my hand and the chips still go wherever they feel like. (usually straight into the fan which then sends them straight back at me at a higher velocity)

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

for some reason my mouth seams to collect them when l work
    smile and the world will smile with you

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Reason Im asking is as I had an adverse reaction (lots of phlem and feeling cold symptoms) for a couple of days to Spotted Gum.
    It got me thinking that if Im going to continue carving and doing more as I currently am perhaps I should rig up something to start looking after the ol lungs a bit better.
    Out side with a fan is definetly an option, but during winter....brrrrrrr.....plus Im thinking about moving to Tassie......a fan would just freeze my nipples off their!

Looking online it seems wood dust over the years can be a negative health wise.

Maybe I will have to just wear a mask....?

In the early days Arbortech was 'tied' in with AEG and made a dedicated grinder/ carver based on an angle grinder. This unit had a dedicated clear cover with a vacuum port. I had one for a while till the motor burnt out ( my fault) I then adapted the cover to another angle grinder as it works better than the standard clear guard.
    They are the only unit I have seen that you could connect a vac to ( with an Arbortech)
    Clearly you need some dust extraction on your sanders etc. Have a read of the BILL PENTZ web site on dust collection. It is full of good material, if you are serious about improving your workshop.

I will look into that abortech port a bit more...thanks. I was looking at Bills site earlier on today...a site that says it all. Tis very good.
    The more I read the more I see Im not going to get it all...but its still defiently worth doing.

When I carved in Albany (again coooold at times) I carved in an under cover patio area with 2 sides open (one being lattice), dust was never a problem their. Working in a shed now is a problem...

The downdraft table will work well with dust but might clog up with chips so you really need the suction hose as well.

Wearing a respirator is also a good idea, specially with irritant timbers
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

the best thing to save the lungs would be one of them respirator musk

a hose hanging of the grinder would me off a bit
    smile and the world will smile with you

Quote Originally Posted by INVENTOR View Post
    In the early days Arbortech was 'tied' in with AEG and made a dedicated grinder/ carver based on an angle grinder. This unit had a dedicated clear cover with a vacuum port. I had one for a while till the motor burnt out ( my fault) I then adapted the cover to another angle grinder as it works better than the standard clear guard.
    Just got off the phone from Arbortech and they were apparently talking last week about a suction port for the arbortech which is goood.
    Will be a while before it comes out though (if it ever does) so dont hold your breath....wear a dust mask
    Im going to have a play in the future with dust extraction technology and see what I can design.