Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not directly related to the question. But, I have a good e-friend in South America who exports exotic woods. He said there is one, prohibited from export but often shipped illegally, that "grows like grass". It is very hard and often sold as something else such as one of the Rosewoods. I think he said it is called Cumala and has toxic qualities.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman1776 View Post
    Not directly related to the question. But, I have a good e-friend in South America who exports exotic woods. He said there is one, prohibited from export but often shipped illegally, that "grows like grass". It is very hard and often sold as something else such as one of the Rosewoods. I think he said it is called Cumala and has toxic qualities.
    Hi Rifleman,
    Hmmm..."very hard" doesn't usually tie in with 'fast growing' but who knows, in the tropics anything can happen....and if it grows like a weed why prohibit it's export? Might be their version of Blackbean which can also be nasty to use.
    I'll bet palisander, cocobolo and purpleheart are on the list too.

None of these would be fast-growing I wouldn't think.

[wonder how much further off-topic we can get....]
    best,
    richie

It grows in the Amazon,hence the reason for it's protection.Not really a furniture grade timber anyway,and the trunk does have quite an irregular form.
    Mapleman

Quote Originally Posted by richie47 View Post
    Hi Rifleman,
    Hmmm..."very hard" doesn't usually tie in with 'fast growing' but who knows, in the tropics anything can happen....and if it grows like a weed why prohibit it's export? Might be their version of Blackbean which can also be nasty to use.
    I'll bet palisander, cocobolo and purpleheart are on the list too.

None of these would be fast-growing I wouldn't think.

[wonder how much further off-topic we can get....]
    best,
    richie

I agree fast and hard do not usually go together with respect to trees growing.
    Cumala is toxic and a favorite source for a druggie high.
    One first hand report I read by a user said the fun starts after drinking the brew made from it makes you have severe nosebleeds, diarrhea and vomiting. All at the same time. Not my idea of fun.
    The drug/toxicity thing is reason for being illegal to export. But many-many thousands of BF of it are exported each year labeled as other kinds of rosewoods. We all have probably made things from it without knowing. Another super good reason to wear breathing protection when working with many exotic woods.

A super good reason for not working many exotic woods is because they are illegally imported.
    Mapleman

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman1776 View Post
    I agree fast and hard do not usually go together with respect to trees growing.
    Cumala is toxic and a favorite source for a druggie high.
    One first hand report I read by a user said the fun starts after drinking the brew made from it makes you have severe nosebleeds, diarrhea and vomiting. All at the same time. Not my idea of fun.
    The drug/toxicity thing is reason for being illegal to export. But many-many thousands of BF of it are exported each year labeled as other kinds of rosewoods. We all have probably made things from it without knowing. Another super good reason to wear breathing protection when working with many exotic woods.
    Yep, sounds like blackbean symptoms to a certain extent - mate of mine cant go near it anymore as he ran a big Sydney furniture factory some years ago - it was very popular then. Nosebleeds were a feature. And OH&S was not such an issue as today either.

Yes Mapleman, a righteous viewpoint. Years ago I knocked back a containerload of very cheap mixed timbers from a large island to our north
    because of it's dodgy origins/ownership, someone was getting ripped-off somewhere up there.

cheers, richie

G'day.

We cut, Dry and machine Dunn's white gum, Manna Gum and Rose Gum.
    These are fast growing species and the rosegum comes from plantations south of Coffs harbour in NSW.

Variable density in the 30 Year old Rosegum can cause problems. The wood can be tight to very pithy. Growth stresses can cause rupture during sawing. The wood is very free and needs care when drying as drying stresses cause further degrade.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Quote Originally Posted by glock40sw View Post
    G'day.

We cut, Dry and machine Dunn's white gum, Manna Gum and Rose Gum.
    These are fast growing species and the rosegum comes from plantations south of Coffs harbour in NSW.

Variable density in the 30 Year old Rosegum can cause problems. The wood can be tight to very pithy. Growth stresses can cause rupture during sawing. The wood is very free and needs care when drying as drying stresses cause further degrade.
    How would you rate the general quality of the Rose Gum,given it is plantation grown?
    Mapleman

Quote Originally Posted by MAPLEMAN View Post
    How would you rate the general quality of the Rose Gum,given it is plantation grown?
    Not addressed directly to me I know but the Sydney Rose gum I mill around here can be very pretty, sometimes prone to stress [none of it plantation], very light and for the weight quite strong. I've used it for scantlings, lightweight beams and furniture. No good outside unless covered. Well racked & air-dried it doesn't move around too much. The trees I have milled that I planted 40 years ago have been fair timber, occasional gum veins, not often pithy centres, some of these in these deep [100ft] YES 100ft! red soils have had diameters [chest high] of 1 metre+. Stress is the worst problem as many were windbreak trees. They dont seem to get much "1-inch grub".
    Wish I had more but I like Dunn's white gum better for framing. Faster-growing too.

Haven't dealt with "Manna" gum so cant comment with any force.

Fer what it's worth.

richie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12