Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Fast Growing Tree Species

Good Day. My name is April. I'm from Manila, Philippines. I'm currently doing a study regarding Fast Growing High Yield Trees that grow in Australian plantations.

I would just like to ask what are the fast growing tree species that is grown on Australian plantations? Those which are harvested after three to five years.

I really hope you can help me with this. Thank you so much.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Look at http://www.rirdc.gov.au/ in particular https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/items/09-015 to start with.

They are available as free PDF downloads.

Thank you. I'm currently reviewing this.

look at www.sequestco2.com and click on the related companies section

Quote Originally Posted by passionvictim View Post
    Good Day. My name is April. I'm from Manila, Philippines. I'm currently doing a study regarding Fast Growing High Yield Trees that grow in Australian plantations.

I would just like to ask what are the fast growing tree species that is grown on Australian plantations? Those which are harvested after three to five years.

I really hope you can help me with this. Thank you so much.

Southern Blue Gum - Eucalyptus globulus.
    not to be confused with Sydney Blue Gum - Eucalyptus Saligna.

Default Fast growing plantations

HI there, being that you are in the Phillipines, have a look at African mahogany (kaya senigalensis) It is grown here in the WA kimberly and up through the Northern .territory. Loves a high rainfall tropical climate. A website to look up is the Kimberly timber company. They use it as host trees for sandalwood and then harvest it for timber.

I'll put in another vote for E. globulus.....we're on good basalt soil in NSW Southern Highlands, and planted a few of these as tubestock (6" tall) in paddocks where they have room to grow. Just 4 years later, with no attention at all, they are 15-20m high.

I knew they were supposed to grow fast, but........

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brush View Post
    I'll put in another vote for E. globulus.....we're on good basalt soil in NSW Southern Highlands, and planted a few of these as tubestock (6" tall) in paddocks where they have room to grow. Just 4 years later, with no attention at all, they are 15-20m high.

I knew they were supposed to grow fast, but........

Most plantation bluegum is used for pulp in the paper industry and on average is harvested after approx 12 years. mahogany as mentioned earlier is grown in the northern territory and north of W.A. but once again is not even looked at being harvested less than 15 years after planting. probably the quickest growing plantation timber for furniture etc. would be Paulownia or kiri I believe that this is turned over quite rapidly (less than 10 years, however I may be wrong on the time frame of this but I know that it is turned over very rapidly) aside from this there is that crap they call pine, Pinus Radiata.

Default Fast growing Paulownia

Travis is right about paulownia. The main factor to producing good timber quickly from this species is to get the water/soil/spacing factors in the right balance.

Thanks Whitewood. I am actually chasing some strip build wood for a guillemot sea kayak and have your number and was going to call when I have a chance, but if you can help me out just email me @ [email protected]

i live up in the tropics of Australia , African mahogany is quick growing but the timber is prone to cracking during drying , there is another super unbelievably fast growing tree called , Mylanta ? , very stable timber ( log wont split ) and nice light to white colour ,good to carve , not sure about structual strength but would be better than pine

can supply pics of timber and living tree if you want , might have a problem with undergrowth its like a weed ,chop it off at ground level and next year it'll be 3meters high
    how come a 10mm peg dont fit in a 10mm hole

You mentioned a fast growing tree named Mylanta?? Is there another fast growing tree similar to the paulonia?

Default Indian Mahogany

Aother fast growing,high value cabinet timber tree is Chukrasia Tabularis .( Meliaceae family) a true Mahogany,quite attractive.Brush Box (Lophostemon Confertus) may prove viable also,as they seem to form almost pure stands in the wild,and perform well.It is an exellent flooring/cabinet timber all round,worth planting i reckon!
    Mapleman

Quote Originally Posted by happymum View Post
    You mentioned a fast growing tree named Mylanta?? Is there another fast growing tree similar to the paulonia?
    Willow, mostly used for cricket bats but it is grown in large stands for this purpose. think that the turnover is around 10 to 12 years but may be extended to as much as 40 years. I know of 1 in gippsland and another near Yarrawonga/Burramine and am aware that there are many more around. English willow that is not the ##### sri lankan and indian willow that chokes our water ways every where.

Quote Originally Posted by happymum View Post
    Yes the sawdust from Mylanta spp. can be mixed into a paste with milk and drunk to pacify upset stomachs and indigestion.

On a more serious note:
    Up here Dunn's White gum is a great timber for scantlings and frames for houses, and is extremely fast growing. Native area is NORTHERN NSW round Kyogle/Lismore.
    I recently milled a Dunn's white gum which was 25m to the first branch, butt about 1100mm diam and straight! We got more than 70 6"x2"s 5m long and lots of 3"x1&1/2" battens, also 6"x1" boards off the first cuts. Then more after the first branch.
    Very plain, pale colour, fast-growing, no grain to speak of, just clear good timber.
    Forestry recommend it.

Fer what it's worth,

richie

cheers, richie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast