Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 1/2" half round brass for skids?

What does everybody use to protect the skids along the bottom of the hull? Is it half round drilled 1/2" brass, or are there other alternatives.

Will probably try and locate some for Trim at the show.

Not that keen on drilling the skids if I can help it. Has anyone tried glueing?

Thanks, Brian

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Screwing and gluing can be OK, and epoxy in the holes works a treat - removes the worry.

Another way would be to get some heavy glass or even that kevlar that you keep talking about and use it. That is a place where it will work well. no extra weight and tough as old boots.

MIK

Have you heard of G10 laminate? It comes in a lot of forms, but would be no fun to cut. If it could be cut into strips they can then be glued to the skids. This is what I'll look into for our Goat.

Have also seen 1/4inch x 1inch nylon strips used as runners.
    Popular with working boats where effectiveness is more important than looks
    or drag. Should be a bit quieter than brass too as you freak out everyone
    nearby by dragging your immaculate & exquisitely presented boat across the
    concrete at the boat ramp. On second thoughts, run with the brass...

cheers
    AJ

Brass acoustics on a lightweight wooden boat being dragged across a concrete ramp are unbeatable.

hehe

Default G-10

I have a friend who uses G-10 a lot. He is doing a Phd in physics, and uses it as an electrical insulator in Cryogenics experiments with superconductors. It sounds super high tech, and frankly understanding what they are doing exactly is beyond me, but the stuff seems to work just fine with cheap carbide blades on a table saw in their quite humble shop. Funny thing is, G-10 is just a very simple epoxy/glass composite. Nothing special, just made in blocks and sheets at a factory, but for all intensive purposes the same thing as you would get with poxy and strips of glass tape. Nylon or delrin would probably slide easiest, but good luck gluing it, you'd have to fasten it mechanically. Brass would be very pretty though. Whatever you use, have fun sailing it. I am almost finished with my pdracer, and cant wait to get it wet.
    Cheers,
    Albert

Howdy,

The only caveat I can think of is that it depends whether it is a laminated or pultruded product.

If the fibres are unidirectional along the axis (pultruded) then as they wear they will spring out of the surface as long sharp spikes .... truly dreadful if anyone gets spiked as they tend to break off flush with the skin too and are often barbed the other way.

However if it is a woven cloth substrate that problem won't exist and it would work very nicely just glued to the face of the bottom runner.

Duckflat often makes glassfibre pieces by putting down some plastic wrap and laminating glass onto the surface - sometimes they use chipboard with laminex on the surface and use mold release. When it cures they cut it up. They sometimes make it thin and flexible and sometimes to make it really thick and tough.

MIK