Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Super Glue not so super

Hi everyone
    I would like some help with super glue re CA re cyanoacrylate, I bought some Hot stuff, a couple of days ago when I went to use it, it was totally useless did not work at all I followed the directions and was glueing two pieces of wood the temp was about 20dec and the material was clean and not porous, all that I can think of is that the shelf life had expired, but I do not know how old the product was, has anyone had this problem hoping you can help.
    Regards Colbra

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have found hot-stuff to be very good. usually CA that has past its use-by date goes very thick (ie thin goes thick, thick goes solid), almost off in the tube.

What sort of timber? Did you hold/clamp the joint so it was under pressure?
    Neil

Hi Neil
    The material was pine held with finger pressure for about 40 to 60 seconds after the first failure i tried other types of timber with no success the ca was not thick at all when I returned it to the place of purchase they also tryed with same results where did you purchase yours from
    regards Col

I get most of mine from GPW but I have also bought Hotstuff from CWS

Yours should have worked, maybe you got a dud batch
    Neil

Thanks Neil I will give GPW ago they may have newer stock, and its cheaper than the ca that I have purchased
    regards Col

I have found lately that my Hot Stuff has gone off, both the thin and the medium. Still the same consistency, just not sticking. BUT.. it's been in my tin roofed garage/workshop for about 8 months now going from anywhere between about 5 degrees C to about 50 degrees C. I'm assuming that is the reason, not anything else. Maybe the stuff you bought was in a warehouse for a while.,

It depends on what size timber you are trying to glue. CA is ok for small stuff and filling cracks in turnings. Not a bad finishing medium for pens either. But I would never use it to stick two pieces of timber together if I was intending work said timber, IE, turning, sawing planing etc. I always use good quality PVA, clamp the pieces together and leave for 24 hours. Especially with pine. It's very thirsty timber and CA will just get sucked into it without any adhesion. Also when I do use CA I use "loctite 406" No affilliation blah blah blah I just reckon it is better than some other cheaper brands.

Cheers
    Shorty

If I can't turn it I'll burn it

I was about to add my two pennies worth and then read what thefixer wrote. I agree with everything he said and would have said exactly the same; all of it.

...hmmmmm, the only times that I've had CA go bad is when it does thicken up, never when it's normal consistency.

Keep extra bottles in the fridge to extend the life of the product.
    Cheers,
    Ed

Do something that is stupid and fun today, then run like hell !!!

What color is the bottle.

If red this is a very thin consistancy and will soak into the timber quickly and not join 2 peices together very well.

If yellow then this should sit on the surface enough for you to rub the 2 peices together then pull apart to make sure you are getting full contact on all of the area if not then apply more to the clear area.

If green then this is the thickest and takes longer to go off, more a gap filler.

Keep the glue in a cool place or even the fridge to keep an even temperature.

We have found that due to the extreemes we have had that some have gone of in the bottle just sitting on the shelf.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Default Super glue.

Hi All,
    Well I have never used the Hot Stuff, as I use either
    Loctite 401 thickish, & is an instant set. & 406 runny, & takes 30+ sec.to set. Have only ever had 1 bottle go off.
    I buy my Loctite from The Showgrounds Sunday Market in Geelong, & pay $12 for a 25ml. Bottle.
    I have a little wooden bowl 3" x 3" & each bottle lays at an angle of approx. 80 deg. day in day out,NEVER with the top on,& until they run out, Sum.,Wint.,Autu.,& Spring. I don't do woodwork as such, as I am a pure Turner.
    This may put some of you off, but if I ever get a cut I use Loc./401. Most of you are aware, that some cuts hurt like hades, but it does NOT hurt when you use this C/A.
    Well thats my lot, try it.
    REGARDS,
    ISSATREE.

This what the stuff was developed for back in 'Nam.
    To stick the boys back together.
    Also great when you break them guitar pickin fingernails.
    Agree re the Locktite have been using same since '82.
    Have also found the Hot stuff ok.
    Using accelerator on one piece helps or a seal coat 1st if you dont have woodglue.
    I've used ca to hold work together untill the real woodglue works, easier than clamps on some jobs.

Thanks everyone for your input on CA types of adhesives. I have gone from not knowing anything about them to having a reasonable understanding of the types and uses.
    When buying whatever brand or type of CA adhesives I would test it at the place of purchase on the understanding that the adhesive must work to complete the purchase, make sure it had a batch number to ID shelf life of the product if it did not have a batch number I would not buy that product, only buy small amounts, try to keep it stored in fridge between 2 and 8 deg and finally when I did get myself into trouble I would talk to all you top people on the forum for some more help and advice.

Regards colbra Col