Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Correct lubricant for table saw mechanism

I have just cleaned my MJ2325B Table saw. Removed the two side panels from the cabinet and blew all sawdust from the working parts of the saw. It was really heavily coated in sawdust but is now clean as a new pin. Now I need to lubricate the mechanical parts as they are dry and the wheel that turns the worm that causes the saw blade to raise or lower is a bit hard to turn also wheel that tilts the blade. Is there a special kind of lube to use for these parts of the saw,? maybe in spray can or something similar.
    I don't want to use the wrong stuff so thought I had better ask on here.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Generally slow moving stuff like that uses a heavy grease. The problem you have with the saw is the inevitable exposure to sawdust. It will stick to any oil or grease you use. I'd try for something thick (as in not very viscous) and apply it thinly. That should deliver a less sticky surface and a thin layer while enough to lube limits the potential for the dust to cake and clog the machine.

The bearings are of course a seperate problem, but should be sealed for life anyway..
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Thanks Damian, I was hoping for something more of a dry lube that would not attract the sawdust. It appears the lubricant that may have been on the saw originally was of a nature that did not allow sawdust to stick to it. I could just brush the sawdust off with a brush or blow it off with compressed air.
    Cheers John

I use paste wax on mine. Yes another use for UBeaut traditional wax. Was a tip I got from Kelly Mehler's The Table Saw Book.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

That's a good idea. Soap is a bit of a lube also, just rub it on...they don't need much.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.

I'd use CRC Driglide, which is a spray on teflon. Lubricates and rust proofs and dust wont stick to it.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Another thing you can look into if you like is bike chain lubricant. I've got a bottle of stuff here I use that is called Pedros Ice Wax. It's a liquid but it dries to a pasty consistency. Designed to lubricate without attracting dust from the road, which helps your chain to wear longer. It's something else Mehler recommends in his book.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

There is a motorcycle chain lube aswell, comes in various forms, aerosol, tin etc. All good ideas...

I was planning on lubricating mine with wood dust....

I was planning on lubricating mine with wood dust
    Works for me

Thanks for all your input guys. Some good advice. I will try some of the easy stuff first like soap or wax. I must say I like the idea of that spray on Driglide Teflon, sounds good.
    Cheers John

How'd you go with the soap or wax munruben, and how's it been performing in the last few months since the original post?

I'm thinking I'd like to use a spray or something thin (dunno what yet - the bike chain stuff sounds like a good idea) on the height and angle adjustment shafts I've taken out of an old Delta 36-600 just so it gets right into the threaded bits and I'm concerned/interested in how the dust collection is going over a period of time on wax treated shafts because if it's working just as well, I might as well save a few bob by using the carnauba wax I have for the table top.