Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Using the domino for large mortises

Using the 10mm cutter to save time on chopping large mortises. These took about 10 minutes with a bit of fiddling and photographing. The mortises are 120mm deep. The domino gets in 28 mm each side (referencing from the leg face using the fence) leaving 60mm to chop out. Major advantages are time saved on clearing bulk waste and the ability of the fence to set the side very accurately and even for each mortise. The sides are dead square to the face making the clearance of the remaining 60mm a piece of cake. A good time saver

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Love your work big boy.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Nearly forgot - do not forget the cutter oscillates or you will cut beyond the pencil marks. I start in the middle with a partial cut then creep out to the line. Set it to wide cut to maximise the waste removal.

He's got a Domi... and is using it to make M&T's. Is this a sign?

When making a double-width cut like that, I assume you're keeping the fence on the same face for each cut? Or does the Domi have the range in fence settings to cut from both sides?

If from the same face and you make the cut closest to the face first, does the cutter try to climb the cut and lift the fence off the face when doing the next cut?

(Just being curious... don't have one, but like most people here wouldn't complain too loudly if one accidentally fell into my toolbox. )
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Skew, you are correct in guessing the fence does not quite have enough travel to do the full cut. I made the first cut with the fence on the face. For the second cut the fence was folded away and the domino sat on a small stack of off cut melamine to lift it to the correct height.

As for using the domi to make M&Ts, the legs are off a workbench and, good as the domi's are, I want through tenons that are 20mm x 100mm so I can wedge and dowel them. Lots of racking on this bench so 50mm domis are not quite enough and don't suit the design anyway.

Here's a couple of pics of a through tenon done using the Domino and a bit of clearing with a chisel and Dremel. The timber is 65mm thick, so the Domi cut on each side took out 56mm, leaving a bit of cleaning in the centre to do. The beauty of this is that you can measure to the bottom of the mortise, then use the three width cut to go from the bottom up to the top (wherever that may be). By overlapping the cut depth for each pass, you get a clean square edge to the mortise. The other nice thing is that once you mark the bottom, centre and top margins with pencil right across the stock, you can't mess up the cuts on each side. The markers are identical.

Regards,

Rob

Mortises done for the long rails, now for the tenons. They were marked out by knife and guided by hand on the bandsaw, slightly oversize. Next task is to use hand planes to fit them.