Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Looking for maple, for guitar building

Hi all,

I need some help with finding some maple wood. I live near Brisbane but i'm willing to look in other capital cities if i have to. The guitar that i'm wanting to copy is a Cort Marsterpiece. (click to enlarge)

Attachment 20904

It dosen't have to be maple but i love the grain in photo so any sugestions on different types of timber would be great (it can't be too heavy though!). If anybody knows where i can i can find maple wood (or equilivent) that would be great. Or if anyone has embarked on their own guitar making mission a few tips would be great.

Kind Regards,

Browno

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Got some nice 'silky oak' that has absolutely mad grain in it and is pretty light and very stable, but not sure of the acoustic qualities- leave that to someone who's not tone-deaf. In ze mean time I'll keep an eye out for ze maple. Good luck with the project.

Quote Originally Posted by browno
    I need some help with finding some maple wood. I live near Brisbane
    Hi Browno, I've been looking into this (finding wood for guitar building near Brizzy) a bit recently. I haven't had time yet to check any of these leads, but:

A few people have mentioned Lazarides Timber Agencies as a possible source: 15 Hurricane Street, Banyo, Queensland 4104 Tel: 07 3267 3899 Fax: 07 3267 3866 Mob: 0418 741 399

Exador is on the forum and he posted this back in October:
    Hi all, my partner and I have been running a Lucas slabber on the Gold Coast and Brisbane for a few years and recently added a swingblade to the rig. We are in the process of establishing a shed and yard in Brisvegas and we have reasonable stocks of all sorts of nice timber from slabs of silky oak, red gum, bloodwood, tallow, cadaghi (beautiful stuff), camphor, mango, jacaranda and a couple of different pines (hoop, norfolk and radiata) to rough-sawn dimensional timber from all kinds of species, including both red and white mahogany, cadaghi, norfolk pine, silky oak, camphor, etc.

We don't have a website at the moment, but you can give us a call on (07) 3255 6622 (business hours) or 0400 455 705 any time. The yard is at 15 Brecknock St, Archerfield and should be operational within a week or so, although I would be happy to show you around if you give me a call any time.

Craig Minns - Eco Urban Timber
    Probably worth giving him a call.

Specialty Timbers are on Sunshine Coast, see this thread:
    http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...p/t-22744.html

Other various pointers from my "to be checked" collection:
    Mullumbimby Wood Works (NSW)
    Trop Timber (Gold Coast)
    Australian Tonewoods
    Gilet Guitars (Botany NSW)
    Teak & Fancy Timbers (near Gold Coast)
    Australian Luthiers Supplies (Mt Tamborine QLD)

If you do follow up on any of these, let me know how it went.

any sugestions on different types of timber would be great
    Maton has a whole page devoted to instrument timber: http://www.maton.com.au/timbers.asp

Specialty Timbers is Dave Kirby at Mooloolah,

d &i kirby bandsawmillers
    45 ratcliffe rd diamond valley mooloolah
    phone/fax 0754947410

Prices are very fair from what I've seen, and those that have paid a visit say the stock is pretty good too.

Cheers,

P

Hello Browno
    As you are on the Sunshine Coast you could try
    Advance Timbers
    28 Page St Kunda Park
    5445 6011
    They have large stocks of Australian & exotic timbers.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Wizened of Oz
    The conact details for Lazarides above are out of date.
    I edited the post so it's up to date now. They've also put up a web site since last I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by rockola
    I edited the post
    Did the same to mine now.
    Brian

Try woodworld on the Gold coast for a decent price..
    www.woodworld.com

try Lazarides at Hurricane street in Banyo for expensive guitar woods, all kinds..

try some Qld Maple..maton uses it a lot...it will do the trick...

ask Doug Eaton at Stanley River music, hes the head of the intrument makers in Qld..

cheeeeeeeeers
    john

Thanks very much for all your help i'm in contact with a few suppliers at the moment. if anyone has any other sources they know of please let me know. I'll keep you all updated on the project.

Try Endeavour Timbers at Nundah. I know that they have a couple of slabs there, and if you can't get it from them then I have a few myself.

Your picture looks more like burl wood that plain old maple
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    Specialty Timbers is Dave Kirby at Mooloolah,

d &i kirby bandsawmillers
    45 ratcliffe rd diamond valley mooloolah
    phone/fax 0754947410

Prices are very fair from what I've seen, and those that have paid a visit say the stock is pretty good too.

Cheers,

P
    I have just been out so see this guy today and was amazed at his stockyard. We were given a fantastic tour and ended up buying 4 cubic metres of this and that. All at reasonable rates. maple, quondong and black wattle (local - and yes normally called sal). Without plugging too much I recommend a visit to this guy especially if you find retail/wholesale timber yards a bit intimidating. He is a really helpful guy.
    Part Time Wood Filler

You bought 4 metres??? For Guitar bodies??? Exactly how big is your guitar making business anyway?

More importantly, what prices did you pay and what were the delivery charges?
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Browno,

Gilet Guitars your best bet for maple blanks for solid body guitars. Give them a call and discuss your needs.

Cheers Martin

PS once youve cobbled up that bass let me know and I'll lure you over to the dark side and get you working on an acoustic
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by rockola
    Other various pointers from my "to be checked" collection:
    Mullumbimby Wood Works (NSW)
    Trop Timber (Gold Coast)
    Australian Tonewoods
    Gilet Guitars (Botany NSW)
    Teak & Fancy Timbers (near Gold Coast)
    Australian Luthiers Supplies (Mt Tamborine QLD)
    Rockla,

I can vouch for Aussie Tonewoods and Gilet Guitars, I use them both for tonewood supplies and have had good service from both of them.

Ive just received some lovely Tassie Blackwood side/back sets and Huon Pine tops from Tim Spittle at Aussie Tonewoods. Tim is an excellent bloke to deal with...keeps you informed of progress on your order and often chucks in freebies with your order.

Cheers Martin
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by hornwood
    Got some nice 'silky oak' that has absolutely mad grain in it and is pretty light and very stable, but not sure of the acoustic qualities- leave that to someone who's not tone-deaf. In ze mean time I'll keep an eye out for ze maple. Good luck with the project.
    Acoustic properties not really that important on a solid body electric.....pickups and associated electrics exert more influence on sound of an electric than the wood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast