Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: paint removal

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Default paint removal

It has become time to strip the hull on Henry IV - my 12' sail boat
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/richardspurling/torch.html

I didn't paint her myself but believe the paint is Wattyl Solarguard (it's been on four years now, though only the first year was regular sailing). It's rubbed off along the keel, and is cracking in a few areas. It's a rub back to ply and paint from scratch job, not a scuff up and recoat.

So, how to get the old paint off?

I've got a random orbital sander which is what I was planning to use. I've heard the yanks talk about sandpapers that don't clog with paint but haven't seen the brands mentioned in our shops. Any thoughts on what to look for? Grit size suggestions would be welcome too.

I've got a heat gun but have seen what it does to old glues so an wary about using it on an old boat. Any thoughts?

Any other suggestions?

Then, of course, I have to repaint the old girl. Any suggestions? I'm not flush with money. Photos of the boat being restored show lots of dark areas so I'm betting that paint is never going to stick well anyway. Cheap is good ... but it's gotta last at least a year or two.

Cheers
    Richard

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Belt Sander
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

Richard,
    The weapon of choice (if you're not sandblasting) is a 7" sander/polisher. Works a hell of a lot faster than either a random orbital or belt sander.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

A four litre drum of paint stripper will go a long way.

I've forgotted what type, but there are a couple around that are a bit less caustic than the they used to be. (That is not to say you want to get them on your skin!)

Do it in the shade, and for a really quick removal of the sludge use a water blaster!

This will get most off, sand the rest! (see above)

Cheers,

P

Default Sticking garage door

G'day all , I have to fix a panelift garage door with an auto opener on it. When it is opening it goes up about 30- 40 cms and stops unless you give it a push. I figured that the shaft that the guide slides along has no lubrication on it whatsoever , ditto to the chain .A clean and grease should fix it , but I was wondering if any of you had any experience with these doors.
    Thanks Planepig

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Question

Planepig my poor benighted friend... WHY would you put a bloody garage door question in the WOODEN BOAT FORUM under a heading about removing the paint from a bloody BOAT??????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Default Panelift Door

As Christopha says wrong forum

Quote Originally Posted by PlanePig
    G'day all , I have to fix a panelift garage door with an auto opener on it. When it is opening it goes up about 30- 40 cms and stops unless you give it a push. I figured that the shaft that the guide slides along has no lubrication on it whatsoever , ditto to the chain .A clean and grease should fix it , but I was wondering if any of you had any experience with these doors.
    Thanks Planepig
    But what has probably happened is the the tension springs have lost some of their tension.

This is a simple job but can be dangerous. If you want to tackle it yourself you will need two lengths of 1/2 inch rod about 15 inches long.

You lock the door closed and insert one rod in one of the holes at the end of the spring and undo the set screw and hang on firmly to the rod because it will be under pressure. Turn the the rod against the pressure and insert the 2nd rod in the next hole and repeat the process.

You probably wont need any more that one full turn of the spring. If there is more than one spring repeat the process on each spring.

Dont use oil or grease but rather a silicone based lubricant on the wheels and just make sure the wheels aren't binding in the tracks as well as on the chain and the guide bar.

Hope this helps

By the way I spent several years installing and servicing Panelift, Tilta and Roller Doors

Do not forget to tighten the set screws up after adjusting the springs.

I just reread your post and realised you had an electric operator on the door. the other problem maybe the the limit switches in the operator may have shifted and need resetting.

Depends on the brand of operator on how this is done, But if you take the cover off you should be able to see the limit switches and these only need a very slight movement to adjust with a bit of trial and error.

Christopha, you are right, I'm an idiot for not looking at the right heading,& Barry thank you for you for your answer, at least I got a result.
    Planepig

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Piggy baby, I hope you gave me a nice big red mark for my rude "reply".....

As you wish big C.
    Planepig

Default nothing to do with boats

Barry your information regarding the garage door [ not boat !] worked. I used the silcon lubrication and it worked first go .1 happy customer and 1 very happy Planepig. Thanks again.
    Planepig

No problems