PDA

View Full Version : What is.. A fixing Carpenter?

Rickety
3rd July 2009, 05:31 PM
Please excuse a stupid question, Ive recently moved from NZ and see a lot of job advertisements for "Fixing carpenter" My initial assumption is interior finishing work and hardware, but rather than applying and being thought of as retarded im trying to clarify exactly what this class of carpenter actually is/does.

Also while im at it and i apologise in advance if this is inappropriate :roll:
Id like to add that im currently looking for work with an existing perth based team to gain some WA experience. I have 15yrs trade experience, in all areas of residential and light commercial building.
House set outs and section cuts.
Footings and reinforcing steel.
Structural steel.
Slab preparation.
Formwork, commercial and residential.
Timber frames, self cut and prenail
Roofing, mainly precut and truss erection.
All types of exterior cladding. Weatherbaords PVC/timber, Titan panel etc
Interior dry wall fixing
Door hanging.
Skirting/scotia.
All hardware.
Own tools, Vehicle and WA drivers licence
Completed pre trades 1,2 and 3 at Manukau polytechnic in Auckland.
Consider myself very trustworthy, motivated and punctual. Available for immediate start.
[email protected]
Once again I apologise if advertising for work here isnt appropriate.
Thankyou for your time.

jackliveshere
3rd July 2009, 05:33 PM
From what I understand, I thought a fixing carpenter was a chippie who only did like fit outs and stuff like that - hanging doors, architraves, skirtings, etc. They don't stand trusses, erect wall frames etc.

Good luck with the search for work mate

Gaza
3rd July 2009, 06:48 PM
you will have no issue working as a fix out carpenter, the NZ trade schools are a lot better than ours.

Aust industry is broken down alot more into trade areas than NZ's are used to.

rrobor
3rd July 2009, 09:32 PM
Fixing as my departed carpinter father in law stated was the stuff thats seen. He was a joiner in Scotland and mainly did fixing and fitting in Australia. Theres a staircase you can see in a building when driving up Melrose drive Tullamarine. That was his pride and joy.

Nannup woodwork
4th July 2009, 10:25 PM
1st Fix is framing and roofing - structural. 2nd Fix doors, archs, skirtings - internal fixing which there is less and less of. 3rd fix is fitments and casework - kitchen,shopfitting. Comes from the old order of things in England, which was similar to Ireland were I did my time.:NZ3:So 2nd fix is a fixing carpenter.

glen boulton
4th July 2009, 10:30 PM
how are you going for work now rickety.
a few of my old employees are working north of Perth chasing the good money. if your good at what you do, pm me and i will give you a couple of phone numbers.