PDA

View Full Version : Source of timber in Melbourne Metro

asayer
3rd July 2009, 07:57 PM
Hi all,
new to forum and returning to turning after twenty year break :oo:

Im wondering if there are sources for timber for turning in Melbourne Metro area?

Pre cut would be the preference but happy with anything really.
Not looking for free bees either but they are always a nice find.

Thanks in advance.

AS

Grumpy John
3rd July 2009, 08:14 PM
Grab the local paper and check out any arborists advertising in your area. They are the best source of free timber, explain exactly what you're after. Don't forget to sling them the occasional slab or something you turned from the timber you get from them, and you'll soon have more timber than you know what to do with.

Farnk
3rd July 2009, 09:38 PM
Yea, wot 'e sed...

tea lady
4th July 2009, 12:41 AM
If you want to actually buy some Mathew's Timber in Mitcham have some over priced turning blanks. :rolleyes: Some wood available on ebay. I've never bought wood, but have got a few other odds and ends. And its fun getting packages.:cool:

asayer
4th July 2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the info

tea lady
4th July 2009, 01:31 PM
So whereish are you asayer? I am part of the Knox Woodworkers. There is a storage room full of bits of wood to play with for only a token amount and a small yearly membership. Also get a good bunch of blokes to talk to thrown in. And access to tools.:cool:

Lignum
4th July 2009, 01:45 PM
AS try Australian furniture timbers (http://www.afttimbers.com/) in Port Melbourne. Great mob to deal with and have a staggering selection of timbers to choose from. :)

Its also an excellent web site for timber information :2tsup:

PS- what area are you in?

rsser
4th July 2009, 01:48 PM
If you want something a bit special - as well as dry and true - then check out www.thewoodsmith.com.au (http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au) (no affiliation etc).

Otherwise recycled timber places are often good sources of redgum, jarrah or whatever - but get them to check for nails or get a metal detector yourself. See eg Australian Furniture Timber (http://www.afttimbers.com/) in Port Melbourne, and also the list here (http://www.vwa.org.au/list_timbven.htm) but ring first as this list is not always up to date.

Residential building sites are also worth checking out for hardwood offcuts.

asayer
4th July 2009, 06:05 PM
Wow so many responses. Thanks guys.

Im located down on the Mornington Peninsula but happy to travel for good timber.

rsser
4th July 2009, 06:14 PM
Glad you've found us useful ;-}

There's a guy who sells or used to sell blanks on ebay who lives down your way if memory serves but take care here - I think you can visit him to take a look. Buying timber on the basis of a photo is a trap for the unwary. DAMHIKT!

tea lady
5th July 2009, 01:46 AM
Im located down on the Mornington Peninsula but happy to travel for good timber.
So you know about the Peninsular Wood Turners then? You prolly just need to get plugged into the network, and wood just seems to get in the shed unaided. :shrug:

asayer
5th July 2009, 10:45 AM
So you know about the Peninsular Wood Turners then? You prolly just need to get plugged into the network, and wood just seems to get in the shed unaided. :shrug:

Yea I was a member for a short time many years ago.
I'm a rather shy person so going to these type of things for the first time is a little daunting.

tea lady
5th July 2009, 12:35 PM
I'm a rather shy person so going to these type of things for the first time is a little daunting.I think one or two member's are on here. :think: You could try just skipping the first time and got he second time.:D

asayer
5th July 2009, 05:18 PM
/Chuckle :logic:

tea lady
5th July 2009, 07:02 PM
Jeez! He's got me pegged already.:C:D

rsser
5th July 2009, 07:10 PM
Send GJ a PM ... think he was considering going back. Despite his avatar he's a helluva nice guy.

asayer
5th July 2009, 08:54 PM
Jeez! He's got me pegged already.:C:D

:))

Paul39
9th July 2009, 11:32 AM
I'm a rather shy person so going to these type of things for the first time is a little daunting.

From what I know of Aussie wood turners from this forum, if you stuck your nose in the door and admitted you were interested in turning, you would have one or two friends for life, a couple of invites to sheds, and a carload of wood to take home by the time you left.

Just don't get between people arguing the merits of affordable VS outrageously expensive turning chisels.

rsser
9th July 2009, 11:48 AM
LOL.

Don't ask 'which chuck?' either!

As a member of several motorbike forums the two hot topics are 'which oil?' (now that synthetic costs a bomb) and 'which tyres?'.

Makes me think more fondly of the days when you could buy a bike and sell it two years later with the same rubber - cos the stuff wore, and gripped, like cast iron.

asayer
9th July 2009, 08:42 PM
Good stuff guys.:2tsup:

Will give the Club/Guild idea some thought.
Will have to pluck up some courage. :club:

issatree
10th July 2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Asayer,
If you have a look at Woodturning General - Vic Forum People by Rum Pig you will certainly find what you are looking for. It is on Ebay & still has 4hrs.15mins. to go.
Might be worth a bid. Would love some, but there is a lot of wood there, to much for 1 person.
Regards,
issatree.

asayer
10th July 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Asayer,
If you have a look at Woodturning General - Vic Forum People by Rum Pig you will certainly find what you are looking for. It is on Ebay & still has 4hrs.15mins. to go.
Might be worth a bid. Would love some, but there is a lot of wood there, to much for 1 person.
Regards,
issatree.

WOW, nice spot.

tea lady
11th July 2009, 12:22 AM
WOW, nice spot.Is that the ENORMOUS pile of wood in Emerald.:oo: I'll help ya pick it up if ya want to go halves.:D

asayer
11th July 2009, 01:15 PM
Is that the ENORMOUS pile of wood in Emerald.:oo: I'll help ya pick it up if ya want to go halves.:D

Yes it was a awesome.

Made two bids but missed out. Sleep got the better of me. :doh:

tea lady
11th July 2009, 01:19 PM
Yes it was a awesome.

Made two bids but missed out. Sleep got the better of me. :doh:Sense got the better of me.:rolleyes: Could just picture Hubby saying "and where are you going to put that? ":doh:

jgb7
11th July 2009, 01:26 PM
Tealady
I live in Rowville, and have had many questions re my projects, but you guys are never around, when do you actually frequent the place? How much are subs?
You are the place near the power substation aren't you?
Thanks.

jgb7
11th July 2009, 01:31 PM
Just a question, I hope this is the right forum.
There is a lot of wood just lying on the ground, which many councils forbid to be removed. This is a shame, as some of that stuff is great.
Has anyone thought of petitioning these councils/ state government against these stupid laws?

tea lady
11th July 2009, 06:37 PM
Tealady
I live in Rowville, and have had many questions re my projects, but you guys are never around, when do you actually frequent the place? How much are subs?
You are the place near the power substation aren't you?
Thanks.:? You mean the Knox woodworkers? The turning group is on Monday morning, 9ish am till 12.30ish, and Tuesday evening (I think. I can't go at night anyway so I'm not really sure of the times. ) Someone is usually there from about 9.30 till at least 2.30 (sometimes after 3 if they get carried away. :D ) Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. I like going on Wednesday cos hardly anyone is there, and those who are know what they are doing.:cool: I'm usually there on Monday morning, but I usually don't turn then. Do some prep work and chat mostly. Leave the actual turning to the beginners who need the coaching and can't come on other days. (Not that I'm not still a beginner. Just not a beginning beginner.:D )
Subs are $65 per year I think. :think: And use to be $50 joining fee the first year. Come on down. Morning tea is at 10.30. Might also be a good idead to ring so that you can meet the pres or someone and get a tour.:cool:

Here is their web site. http:////www.alchester.com.au/kdwc/ (http://www.alchester.com.au/kdwc/)