PDA

View Full Version : Any news\history about Wolfenden Machinery

beer is good
4th July 2009, 02:15 AM
G'day,
I posted a thread about my sawbench http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=98605
and someone suggested that it might have been made by Wolfenden Machinery in Melbourne.
I am on the other side of the country - does anyone know if they are still in business, any history, any stories etc
Thanks,

clear out
31st July 2009, 01:40 PM
Hi,
Wolfenden were still around till a few years back, there is more on them on this site if you search. Google it also.
Thay made a large range of woodworking machinery and were still rerubbering bandsaw wheels 'till quite recently.
Barker were another Melb mob were called Macson before WW11.
They made rip saws like this, we sold one to a mate up the coast a few years back.
Took a 24 in saw.
How big a saw will that spin?

H.

Chesand
31st July 2009, 02:18 PM
Wolfenden were in Airport West but closed a couple of years ago. I will be going past there over the weekend so will see if there is any info on the building

Chris Vesper
23rd October 2009, 12:13 AM
I know this thread is a tad old but here goes:

Allen Wolfenden Machinery did close, about two years ago Peter Wolfenden got the urge to retire, and rightly so I think. There wasn't much left of the former glory days of the Wolfenden empire. Gone were the days of manufacturing machines in Australia, I believe they made their last bandsaw in 1992/93 and the workshop was sitting there pretty much unused since while the retail and service of machines took over and kept it all going.

Its a sign of the times with all the machines being imported these days for unbelievably cheap prices when you think about the amount of work that goes into them.