PDA

View Full Version : removing screws /putty

dzcook
10th July 2004, 09:41 PM
ok any one got any easy ways of getting screws out off a window frame
cleaned off the windows and frames and all the old weathered wood on the outside went with the dirt and paint so now have to remove each window and sand and re putty

took 1 1/2 hrs to remove one window as screw heads had been damaged in the past and some one had decided that best way to tighten one screw up was to put a nail in beside it so now need to buy new hinges for that one lol

tried a few ( lots ) of taps with a hammer on the screwdriver and that did nothing some came out easy but those stubborn ones took lots of time

also need to remove as will be replaceing some of the sills as well

also which side dose the putty go on always thought it was inside but most of these windows have it outside ? and do i need to putty or can i use one of the new glass silicones ? and is there a trick to smoothing that out without covering the glass in goo ?

thks again
david

journeyman Mick
10th July 2004, 10:12 PM
David,
putty goes on the outside, don't replace it with silicone because a) you'll make a bl00dy mess and b) paint won't stick to it or any of the frame you've inadvertantly smeared it on. If you want to you can replace it with timber beads with a very small bead of silicone between the bead and the glass. Do a search on this BB as methods for removing and replacing putty has been covered extensively.
For removal of stubborn screws get yourself an impact driver, you'll get most of them with this. Any really stubborn ones you may have to slip a wrecking bar (one of those thin ones that looks like it's been made from a piece of flat bar) between the hinge and the frame and drive it in with a hammer. This will usually rip the screw out or cut through it. I did once read a tip in a very old book that suggested heating a poker up until it was red hot and holding the hot tip against the head of the screw, apparently this is meant to loosen it. Never been keen enough to try this as it's probably more trouble than it's worth (unless you're a blacksmith with a forge handy).

Mick

bitingmidge
10th July 2004, 11:18 PM
I did once read a tip in a very old book that suggested heating a poker up until it was red hot and holding the hot tip against the head of the screw, apparently this is meant to loosen it.

I've used a soldering iron to do the same thing. It works!

It is also an effective way of removing fastenings that have been set in epoxy.

Cheers,

P :D

wombat47
12th July 2004, 09:18 AM
Heating the screw makes it expand just that little bit and force the screw hole a smidge wider. When the screw cools, it's a tad looser. You don't have to get it red hot (if you do, watch that the timber doesn't burn). A heat gun will often do the trick as well.

Kev Y.
12th July 2004, 11:02 AM
The Putty always goes on the outside of the window pane. make sure you use a nice clean puty knife to apply it with, and try to make sure that the bead of putty is around 1/2 inch thick.

To assist in the finishing of the putty, wipe the blade of the putty knife with a rag dipped in Linseed oil before applying the putty to the job.

Kev ;) :rolleyes: :p