PDA

View Full Version : BIG handle

orraloon
4th July 2009, 06:55 PM
Hello all,
Yesterday I made the biggest tool handle I have so far required. I got a hollowing tool from McJing's. First visit there and it is an Aladin's cave of good bits and pieces.
I wanted to get as much overhang as is possible with a handle to see how deep I can hollow without a captured tool setup. I dont suppose I am the first to try this. A side handle from an electric drill was used so I can hold it steady when shear cutting. A 26'' blackbut handle. The pics show the parts before and after. I have only had a quick try with it on a bit of firewood and found my 50mm jaws in the nova are not up to holding the work for this. I now need some bowl jaws. It is a good roughing tool and really plows into it.
Regards
John

Claw Hama
4th July 2009, 08:18 PM
If it doesn't work on the lath you can turn it into a spear gun.

Sawdust Maker
4th July 2009, 09:33 PM
orraloon

thanks for the electric drill side handle idea

did you put a ferrule on the handle? couldn't see it on the last pic. 26" huh. I'll have to measure me Hughie ripsnorter handle.

just went outside you win by about 6 - 7". Now there'll be a handle shootoff :doh:

hughie
5th July 2009, 12:04 AM
Made this one up a few years ago, works well

Ed Reiss
5th July 2009, 12:25 PM
nice workup John...ain't it grand makin' your own tools :2tsup:

Pat
5th July 2009, 04:56 PM
Don't worry Nick, my handle for Hughie's Ripsnorter is only 530mm (20") with a total lenght of 930mm (36 39/64") without the blade . . . a hefty weapon anyway :U

orraloon
5th July 2009, 06:19 PM
No ferrule. The band on the side handle is doing that job.

artme
6th July 2009, 05:02 AM
Good one!:2tsup::2tsup: I trust you can handle it?:D:D:p

munruben
6th July 2009, 09:05 AM
Well done, it looks like it will do the job just fine. :2tsup: