PDA

View Full Version : What do you say to the Bunnings Door Person?

PaulS
11th July 2004, 12:53 AM
Rebus, got me thinking.
You know when you walk into Bunnings and they have the Doorperson standing there saying hello to everyone who walks in.

Well for some reason I just don't want to say hello to the person at the door, it just seems fake to me, i mean they are there as security.

So my question is, what do you say to the door person?

Paul

Robert WA
11th July 2004, 01:39 AM
Bunnings, wherever. I always say " Excuse me. Does this store have camera surveilance?"
Try it. The reaction is wonderful.

Guy
11th July 2004, 01:43 AM
THe door i use has no one on when you enter just a boom gate, but they jump all over me when i leave. I always drive into the timber yard so i dont have to go out side in the rain, and the trade desk is hardly used by regular customers.
They did accuse me last week of trying to drive off without paying for some 4 by 2 i had on the room, i mentioned to them if he bothered to see me drive in he would have noticed they wer already there instead of talking to all the timber staff.
Dont you just love there self service timber yards never a sole to be seen, just write down the code and tell the girl you have 10 2m lengths and no body is there to check, the guy ate the gate just looks at the quantity.

Shane Watson
11th July 2004, 09:16 AM
I usually say nothing unless I don't manage to sneak past without them saying anything to me. I feel obliged to reply even if it is so fake from them.

But I gotta say I have been to many many bunnies all over the country and there actually has been some really nice people on the doors who do seem to be very genuine in there greetings, unfortunatly my local bunnies dosn't seem to employ this type of person.

What really gripes me and I notice this more I guess because I do travel around which forces me into unfamiliar bunnies's (I think the spelling nazi's will let me away with that one :D ) But some of the door people INSIST on seeing your receipt even you just bought one screw! I understand the importance of checking receipts on power tools etc but some of the door people go to extremes and check every purchase from everyone which is a pain in the butt when you've just lined up with the rest of the cows to get through the checkout then you gotta line up again to get out the damn door!

Mind you theres usually only one or two checkouts operating so the door line is usualy keeping up pace with them.... ;) The worst bunnies i have been into that is bad for this is the new one in Townsville. I been there twice this year and they were bad both times I expect it to be the same latter in the year if I have to go back up.

Anyway thats my sunday morning gripe... :D

Dean
11th July 2004, 05:03 PM
Shoplifting bills in retail stores add up to quite a lot of money! It is far cheaper for them to put someone at the door than to wear the cost of thieves. It's hard to go into any big retail chain without seeing someone, or some technology at the entrance checking your bags and receipts. At least the Bunnies ones say hello! :)

Ben from Vic.
11th July 2004, 07:15 PM
I believe that they now check all receipts as they had a lot of poeple who would purchase a product, then go back later, pickup another one and walk out the door waving the same receipt.

One for me, one for the trading post. :eek:

Ben.

DarrylF
11th July 2004, 07:55 PM
They're not saying 'hello', they're saying 'I'm watching you, you thieving bastard and if I think you're trying to get away with anything I'm going to sic that big stupid bloke over there on you'.

I really hate when you go through a checkout 6 feet from the door with a whole pile of stuff you can barely carry, they watch the whole time as you pay for everything and then they insist on making you find the damn receipt (dropping various items as you go) and show it to them. Like they didn't see you pay for it all. I'm sure it's their little game - see who can annoy the most people in a day. Given how mind-numbingly boring it would be as a job I can't say I blame them.

Tonyz
11th July 2004, 08:08 PM
Who is going to be the ginny pig for us and refuse to drop everything to show the receipt. Could one of the door girls jump you and :p force you back intio the store. They have to beleive you have something thats not paid for to aprehend you.
Come on where's Peter the jigman when we need him.... on second thoughts I VOTE for Ozwinner to go :eek:
:D Tonto

Baz
11th July 2004, 08:34 PM
Ozwinner can't go he is too busy making sawdust. :D
Barry

ozwinner
11th July 2004, 09:52 PM
Who is going to be the ginny pig for us and refuse to drop everything to show the receipt. Could one of the door girls jump you and :p force you back intio the store. They have to beleive you have something thats not paid for to aprehend you.
Come on where's Peter the jigman when we need him.... on second thoughts I VOTE for Ozwinner to go :eek:
:D Tonto
Ive had the security guy at the trade end chase me into the car park because I refused to wait at the boom gate for the lazy prick to get off his fat ars'e, and get out of his little cubby.
When Im loaded up he either has to be there at the gate ready, or forget it, Im gone.

I had nothing to hide, but it was funny, like a scene from Benny Hill. :p
I could almost hear the music playing. ( which I have for my ring tone on my mobile )

Now he just smiles at me. :D

Al

Driver
11th July 2004, 10:21 PM
Shoplifting bills in retail stores add up to quite a lot of money! It is far cheaper for them to put someone at the door than to wear the cost of thieves. It's hard to go into any big retail chain without seeing someone, or some technology at the entrance checking your bags and receipts. At least the Bunnies ones say hello! :)

You're right, Dean. I have no problem with them checking my receipt and stamping it. Most of the ladies they put on the door at my local Bunnies are pleasant about it. If it stops the thieving b*stards who are getting away with ripping them off then it's no great imposition for me. :)

soundman
11th July 2004, 11:09 PM
Bunnings have the most crude loss prevention system I have ever come across.

No other retail store I have ever seen feels the need to check your recipt AFTER you have been thru the check out.
They NEED to do it because the front end of their shops are so badly laid out and their check out system is so poorly tahught out.

When I enter bunnings I do not speak or make eye contact with their "greeter", after all i have just been insulted.

last time I let bunnings with my purchase I walked straight past the "can I stamp your recipt person" to see what would happen.... nothing.

they can not do a thing. you have not stolen anything you have done nothing wrong.

I was prepared to speak up and argue but.... nothing.

right nex to that person at the door you should find one of those "how did we do" thingys.

take one and use it.
these bliters need to hear how badly they are doing.

if you are game try walking past!

cheers

Dean
11th July 2004, 11:53 PM
Oh well, at least its providing people with a paid job that may otherwise be on the dole queue :rolleyes:

DaveInOz
12th July 2004, 11:28 AM
Normally I say "Hi, Pina"
Often followed by a chat about how my kids are going if they are not there, or if they are a chat to the kids.
I then stop by the service desk to say hello to the regular girls and guys, again much kid play etc.
My kids have been given lollies, several trucks and forklifts, football, caps, etc.
They are nice people, and the staff discount is nice (even when I don't take the kids ;) )

If you go semi regularly it is worth getting to know some of the staff, take an interest, and you will find you can make some nice aquaintences and little irritating problems can be made to go away - no fuss.

silentC
12th July 2004, 11:37 AM
Dale Carnegie would be proud of you Dave ;)

Rowan
12th July 2004, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=soundman]Bunnings have the most crude loss prevention system I have ever come across.

No other retail store I have ever seen feels the need to check your recipt AFTER you have been thru the check out.
They NEED to do it because the front end of their shops are so badly laid out and their check out system is so poorly tahught out.

Having come from a retail variety discount chain background where loss preventions is far more important than the staff themselves I have to agree that Bunnings have stuffed up bigtime with their layout.

HOWEVER

Lets see how many of us start complaining if Bunnings go out of business and Mitre 10 and the like go back to having no competition and can set the prices at the levels they want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveInOz
12th July 2004, 11:46 AM
Dale Carnegie would be proud of you Dave ;)

:confused: Who?
:o don't look now but thats my ignorance hanging out :o

silentC
12th July 2004, 12:05 PM
:confused: Who?
:o don't look now but thats my ignorance hanging out :o
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671723650/102-8869121-2368902?v=glance

;)

DaveInOz
12th July 2004, 12:08 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671723650/102-8869121-2368902?v=glance

;)

OIC - don't make me think this early in the working day/week :rolleyes:

PaulS
12th July 2004, 12:22 PM
Oz
haven't ahd the trouble at the boom gate that you have had. I think that that is probably the solution, just use the trade and timber section. Its got lots of advantages, you can park your car in the shop (you don't get wet when it rains & your car doesn't get hot in summer).

I just can't wait for the reaction of the guy at the boom gate when I drive out without buyting anything.

What do they do when there is no docket to show him?
Do they strip search you & your vehicle?

Eastie
12th July 2004, 03:45 PM

(Like me, this space has been left blank)

Sturdee
12th July 2004, 05:57 PM
Who is going to be the guinney pig for us and refuse to drop everything to show the receipt.

Not me Tony.

I normally say hello and have a chat with the girls on the door as I have come to know the regulars over the years and on the way out I say goodbye.

Mind you they never want to check my purchases instead they help me find a suitable box to carry them in.

Peter.

DavidG
12th July 2004, 09:04 PM
Please be nice to them. They are just some poor bu--ers trying to make a living like the rest of us.

bitingmidge
12th July 2004, 09:43 PM
Please be nice to them. They are just some poor bu--ers trying to make a living like the rest of us.

Well spoken David!!

We should be able to come up with a secret greeting that we all use so that they know "we know".....we could start a whole movement of people who say the same thing to the Bunnies door people.

How about a wink and a smile as we go in, and a simple "toodlepip!" on the way out!!
:D :D :D

P

ozwinner
12th July 2004, 09:47 PM
How about a wink and a smile as we go in, and a simple "toodlepip!" on the way out!!
:D :D :D

PThats fine for you gay guys, but what about us straight guys? :D :D

A

bitingmidge
12th July 2004, 09:53 PM
Thats fine for you gay guys, but what about us straight guys? :D :D

A

Sorry to wake you!
Look I think it's time all you pseudo macho bricklayer types did the right thing and CAME OUT to Bunnings for the new Be Friends With The Person On The Door CAMPaign.

:D

Toodlepip!
P

Gumby
12th July 2004, 09:53 PM
Thats fine for you gay guys, but what about us straight guys? :D :D

A

How about "Hi diddly doo Bunnerinos !"

ozwinner
12th July 2004, 09:59 PM
l ( forgot it ) :D

Markw
25th July 2004, 11:40 PM
My local bunnies have the strangest check??????????

They don't check the goods your carrying, they only want to stamp the docket without reading the contents. You could have a brand new 3 phase MIG welder trailering behind you, but as long as you have an unstamped docket to present, maybe for a packet of screw, all is OK

This is not security, this is a joke :confused:

DanP
26th July 2004, 09:25 PM
The person at the door is there because research shows that having someone at the door lowers theft from the store by a massive amount. Chains like bunnings have theft bills that run into the hundreds of thousands PER STORE. If they drop this number by a quarter, it's big dollars. Well worth the $25,000 they pay the door person. As far as the cheery greeting goes, that's Bunning's (and other stores) way of offering you (they think) a happy welcome that will make you spend more.

EVERYTHING that these places do is based in massive amounts of research designed to increase dollars in the bank or keep cost down so that they are able to remain competitive.

All theft related costs are divided and added to the product. So the person at the door represents savings to you. What harm is it to say 'G'DAY'

Dan

RETIRED
26th July 2004, 09:28 PM
All theft related costs are divided and added to the product. So the person at the door represents savings to you. What harm is it to say 'G'DAY'

Not to mention good manners :D

DavidG
26th July 2004, 09:32 PM
Be nice and smile. Saves stress and you may live longer.

PaulS
26th July 2004, 10:29 PM
Well i must say that since starting this thread, the replies have been very theraputic for me. I now walk in and say g'day.

Thanks, where do i send the bill to?

Paul

Shane Watson
26th July 2004, 10:30 PM
hey finally one of them bunnies door people actually used there common sense!!!! The cold weather must really be affecting people here in canberra!! :eek:

As usually these day's the guy at the door requested to see the reciept, as usualy i said its in my wallet you don't really expect me to drop this box to get my wallet out...no sir its fine i saw you come through the checkout just then so your fine mate enjoy the rest of the day!!!! :confused:

I'll be buggered!! I thought it would never happen to me... ;)

DaveInOz
27th July 2004, 11:44 AM
I'll be buggered!! I thought it would never happen to me... ;)

You were bound to get 'lucky' sooner or later, and it also explains why you're walking funny ;) :p

AlexS
27th July 2004, 12:55 PM
I've just bought some tools at the Japanese equivalent of Bunnings - it's called a drink & home store (now that makes sense). I know it's the equivalent of Bunnings because the guy there couldn't tell me whether a saw (wrapped up) was a crosscut or rip blade (no matter how loud I shouted at him in English). But he did unwrap it for me.

Actually, the shop was much smaller than Bunnings, but had a good range of hardware and trade tools. It also sold food and had a beer vending machine out the front. Does that make sense or what!

Bought the saw plus a chisel.

PaulS
27th July 2004, 03:11 PM
At Bunnings here in WA (well the three that I frequent) the person at the checkout near the exit doors will stamp the docket, so that the person at the door doesn't have to.

They must have higher entry standards here in Perth!

silentC
27th July 2004, 03:15 PM
That makes no sense at all. What's the point of the checkout person stamping it? They gave it to you! :rolleyes:

Driver
27th July 2004, 09:43 PM
I've just bought some tools at the Japanese equivalent of Bunnings - it's called a drink & home store (now that makes sense). I know it's the equivalent of Bunnings because the guy there couldn't tell me whether a saw (wrapped up) was a crosscut or rip blade (no matter how loud I shouted at him in English). But he did unwrap it for me.

Actually, the shop was much smaller than Bunnings, but had a good range of hardware and trade tools. It also sold food and had a beer vending machine out the front. Does that make sense or what!

Bought the saw plus a chisel.

Yeah - but what did you say to the Sayonara person on the door? (The beer vending machine sounds like a good idea!). :D

Driver
27th July 2004, 09:45 PM
That makes no sense at all. What's the point of the checkout person stamping it? They gave it to you! :rolleyes:

Listen, you Eastern States person. We do things differently in the West. OK? ;)

silentC
27th July 2004, 10:56 PM
Listen, you Eastern States person. We do things differently in the West. OK? ;)
Yes I've heard that. It's like the whole "sunset over the ocean" thing. It's just all wrong...

Cliff Rogers
28th July 2004, 12:49 AM
G'day.

Here in Cairns, I've never been asked to show a receipt at the door.

I always say 'G'day' on the way in & 'Catchya' on the way out.

For a while, the Cairns store had a dead set 'tool calender girl' on the door...
you know the one.... big blonde, big smile, big hooters, in big work boots.
They made her wear a red T shirt & she had to zip up her denim shorts but....
in the end, they had to get rid of her 'cos all the dirty old men would go
down to bunnies & just walk in & out all day just to have her smile at them.

I prob'ly only go there once a week now.... :rolleyes: (just in case she come back :D )

Barry_White
28th July 2004, 09:51 AM
Must be different rules for different stores. In Tamworth NSW the girl at the front door just says hello and goodbye because she stands right at the front of the registers and can see every one coming out from the registers.

At the back or trade door they have a guy that checks every thing on your vehicle against the docket before he will open the boom gate to let you out.

RETIRED
28th July 2004, 09:35 PM
Pretty much the same in Cranbourne.

pedro the swift
2nd October 2006, 02:31 PM
Havent been to bunnies for a couple of weeks so dont know if things have changed but never been stopped or had my receipt stamped or whatever. (QLD) Bris.
If there is anyone at the entrance and they say "g'day" I just say "gday" back. I do the same on the way out. It would be a rather brave person to stop me on the way out clutching my goodies and a receipt after just leaving the register.
Anyway it doesnt hurt to be civil to them. They are just doing what they get paid for and if it helps to stop lowdown shoplifters, good.

Stuart
2nd October 2006, 02:41 PM
Things might have changed since...... 2004....... :eek:

MoonShine
2nd October 2006, 03:33 PM
Top thread:D

Live no more than a stones throw away from Bunnings, so its my home away from home. Spend $10,000 everytime I walk in the b....dy place.:rolleyes:

I just say "g'day" if there happens to be a doorperson but also think its 'plastic' much like a lot of other places. I call em robots.

On the way out, and if its a nice young lady, raise the arms and ask her nicely to frisk me:p ...usually get the old,
"naah! you'll be right!"

Barry_White
2nd October 2006, 04:53 PM
Things might have changed since...... 2004....... :eek:

Can't believe this thread is 2 years old. Only seems like a couple of months I posted in the thread

scooter
2nd October 2006, 05:15 PM
Gday Danni :D

ozwinner
2nd October 2006, 05:22 PM
I usually say G'day Scoot, no matter who they are. :p

Al :rolleyes: :p

havenoideaatall
2nd October 2006, 05:24 PM
Occasionally having my cute 1 year old daughter in one hand helps too whilst struggling to carry the rest of the gear. (Only works with small purchases)

I had to explain to the checkout chick on Saturday that her looks can be directly attributed to her mother. Chick said what a lovely face she has.

er... my daughter's looks. Not the checkout chicks.:D

scooter
2nd October 2006, 05:46 PM
I usually say G'day Scoot, no matter who they are. :p

Al :rolleyes: :p

Someone will ask you "what the? " , eventually :p

Markw
2nd October 2006, 06:00 PM
Can't believe this thread is 2 years old. Only seems like a couple of months I posted in the thread

At first I thought somebody was using my logon for a thread I didn't remember. I read right through the thread until right at the end I found the date - 2004 :eek:.

Surely a thread must have a limited lifespan especially for whimsical fluff like this one. I would never suggest a lifespan for technical threads demonstrating techniques or supplying data but for this thread enough is enough.