PDA

View Full Version : Lidded box no. 7

jefferson
5th July 2009, 07:41 PM
I was under some self-imposed pressure to finish this one. I had a few distractions last week with Skew and Calm arriving, so I was short on time.

No excuses though.

Here's the Chinese Hat lidded box out of Northern Mahagony:

It's probably no better than the last one.

The lid fit still isn't right and the base is way to heavy. I also cut too hard on the inside and there's a little ripple there. I also turned blind in hollowing the lid - I must find a better way to chuck the lid so I can get the inside/ outside in symetry.

(Ken W. sent me some great instructions and photos on how to do this box but I'd already started..... :?)

Lessons? Plenty. First up, leave plenty of wood on the top of both the base and the lid to fine-tune the lid fit. I made an effort, but I must take sanding more into account before hollowing the base.

New tools arriving soon from Jim C. so hollowing should be much easier. That said, I must learn to turn the lathe off after every cut and check the dimensions.

Feedback as always most welcome.

I'll bore you all until Box no. 17 (Chinese Hat) is perfect.

I'm probably more concerned with the basics - chisel control especially - at the moment, so don't be too hard on me as to the form.

I will learn to finish one day too....

Jeff

Calm
5th July 2009, 08:22 PM
Jeff

I can see improvement.:2tsup::2tsup:

You said the lid should be slightly wider than the base - it is:2tsup::2tsup:

I am not sure about the shape of the base/box as it seems to curve - straighten - curve more so not sure this is the way it should be

Overall i think it is better than no 6 but keep going you are getting there. - you wont beat ken in a week or two - even he didnt progress that quick.:2tsup::2tsup:

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th July 2009, 08:59 PM
The form on that one is definitely closer to the mark; still a bit tall, but the rounder shape looks good even though the arc flattens a bit in the middle. :2tsup:

You know that jam chuck I made for trimming the foot on that little bowl? How I cut kerfs in the side to save me some effort when getting the fit right?

Well, you can extend that idea a bit and make those cuts wider, say 1" wide. Then you can eyeball and/or measure the thickness of the top through these openings. :)

DJ’s Timber
5th July 2009, 09:04 PM
Nice one dude :2tsup:

You're definitely improving :yes:

When you come to my place next week, bring it with you and KenW's instructions as well :;

Can you guess who this is :roll:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th July 2009, 09:09 PM
Doug The Slug?

:duck:

DJ’s Timber
5th July 2009, 09:19 PM
Doug The Slug?

:duck:

:o

One brick wasn't enough obviously so here's a pile off them :U

:bricks:

tea lady
5th July 2009, 10:46 PM

When you come to my place next week, bring it with you and KenW's instructions as well :;

Can you guess who this is :roll:Does he live near the beach? :whistling: Although there are more words in this reply than usual, so it threw me a bit. :D

jefferson
5th July 2009, 10:46 PM

Can you guess who this is :roll:

I can only guess that DJ has filled his in-box or something???:D Or did the Super Mods kick you out???? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the feedback guys and more particularly the stuff on techniques. I am starting to realise that home-made jam-fit chucks are more versatile that steel ones. That lesson has taken a while to sink in.

Thanks, Skew, I'll try to put your lessons into practice.

(I used some oregan with it's soft and hard growth rings today on that soft Mahogany and won't be using it again.) :((

As I said at the start of Lidded Box no 4, I hope you all can see some improvement with my turning over the next few years. Many of you have and continue to help me along the way.

Jeff

jefferson
5th July 2009, 10:52 PM
The form on that one is definitely closer to the mark; still a bit tall, but the rounder shape looks good even though the arc flattens a bit in the middle. :2tsup:

You know that jam chuck I made for trimming the foot on that little bowl? How I cut kerfs in the side to save me some effort when getting the fit right?

Well, you can extend that idea a bit and make those cuts wider, say 1" wide. Then you can eyeball and/or measure the thickness of the top through these openings. :)

Andy, the last part of your message finally sunk in. Remind me again and again and I will post some pics on that chucking technique. Yep, I like the idea of having access with the calipers to check the wall thickness.

Perhaps another project for tomorrow....

Jeff

artme
6th July 2009, 04:57 AM
That's pretty neat Jeff.:2tsup::2tsup:

have you thought of making a template of the shape you are after and working to that? It is very difficult to eyeball a desired shape unless you are really experienced, or just plain bloody clever.

Gil Jones
6th July 2009, 04:59 AM
Jeff,
Your Chinese Hat lidded box looks fine to me.

Jim Carroll
6th July 2009, 09:28 AM
Jeff do you have any hot melt glue sticks.

They are handy for seeing that the curve is correct, you lay it on the side of the curve and you will quickly see the high and low spots so know where to take more out and get the curve balanced.

efgee88
6th July 2009, 11:18 AM
Hey Jeff,
Nice looking little box that.
I'm learning just like you (but probably a few years behind you) and struggle with all sorts of things to do with the lathe. But hey, that's the challenge isn't it?

Its inspiring to read you are enjoying yourself and challenging yourself to do better.
Keep on going!

Cheers,

FrankG

NeilS
6th July 2009, 03:38 PM
Jeff do you have any hot melt glue sticks.

They are handy for seeing that the curve is correct, you lay it on the side of the curve and you will quickly see the high and low spots so know where to take more out and get the curve balanced.

...or a thin bit of flexible plastic if you don't have a glue stick.

Neil

jefferson
6th July 2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys (and Tea Lady).

Yes, I am enjoying this little journey and there are many here on the Board that help, no questions asked. I've never met better people, all different but all willing to help. :2tsup:

I've a busy week or so ahead so Box no. 8 may be a little late.

Jeff

jackliveshere
6th July 2009, 04:56 PM
Box #7 looks the goods Jeff, I like it :2tsup: Keep up the good work

Ed Reiss
7th July 2009, 11:50 AM
Jeff, the tool marks left in the bowl actually add to the bowls character :2tsup:...sometimes you don't have to hump it to get a smooth interior:U