PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 11 July 04

Ralph Jones
11th July 2004, 10:01 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Roof framing is the practical use of what?

This is an area of mathematics that deals with the relationship of points, lines, and surfaces.

Respectfully, :)

journeyman Mick
11th July 2004, 10:30 PM
It's the practical application of muscle, timber and tools :) (and maybe some geometry too :) )

Mick

ozwinner
11th July 2004, 10:35 PM
It's the practical application of muscle, timber and tools :) (and maybe some geometry too :) )

Mick
You forgot about time and space, man

Peace http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/fk/daisy.gif

bitingmidge
11th July 2004, 11:01 PM
Roof framing is the practical use of what?

I was going to say "wood" except I don't think that has anything to do with mathematics?

Oh well...Roof framing is the practical use of the guys at the truss plant.

:D
(Sorry Mick, I have these skinny little arms you see so am happy for them to do it!)

P

journeyman Mick
11th July 2004, 11:59 PM
Midge,
when I said muscle I didn't neccesarily mean mine or yours :rolleyes: , just someone else to do all the hard yakka :cool: . I haven't stood a roof frame (besides my shed) for a few years now, I'm quite happy to say I no longer frame buildings, do footings, pour concrete or take on any jobs from people whom I get bad vibes from. :cool:

Mick (just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it ;) )

Ian007
12th July 2004, 12:56 AM
trigonometry
a branch of mathematics dealing with properties of trigonometric functions and their applications

The use of cos, sin and tan to find relevant rafter runs, load areas, angles etc
actually you only use tan and cos ( or is that sin? :o its been a while) to find all relevant load areas etc for your timber sizes in the layout of a roof structure.
or you could just look in a roof framing book if you dont know how to do the above

Ian :)

Ivan in Oz
12th July 2004, 09:12 PM
Triangulation!

Kind of Divide and Conquer,
until you have smaller and smaller Triangles

Count

Ralph Jones
12th July 2004, 09:55 PM
Good Evening Friends,
You are all correct as the answer is basic geometry.

Thanks for your support.

Respectfully, :)