PDA

View Full Version : ewwwwwwww

ElizaLeahy
9th July 2009, 05:11 PM
Theres MAGOTS in me mango!

So I'm turning the outside - first I have to cut it a bit with the scroll saw because it's too off centre for my little lathe. Then I have to lower the speed of the lathe (first time since I got it). Then I have to cut a bit more off with the scroll saw... and a bit more... and a bit more.

Finally get it to where the vibration is small enough that my lathe isn't jumping off it's stand (one of these days I'll have to get a stand I can bolt it to!)

See me then, with my rough out chisel under my arm like a knight jousting, my left hand holding, not a shield, but the lathe down while I get it round enough to be safe. Anyone want to learn one handed turning?

So I turn the outside - and have to change my mind on how I'm going to chuck it because there is some rotten holes at the bottom. So now it has a foot.

I sand the outside, looks ok.

I start on the inside, ARGH, these natural edge bowls look nice but cutting that much bark off isn't my idea of a good time.

I'm close to the bottom, that damn rotten stuff is back, and not only does it interrupt my cutting, it STINKS!!!!

So I stop the lathe to consider what to do next - and all over the bowl, out of tiny pin holes, little magets start to crawl!!!!!!!

I don't feel well.

wheelinround
9th July 2009, 05:18 PM
Your supposed to turn the tree not the fruit :D

Ozkaban
9th July 2009, 05:54 PM
ahh, just turn the lathe speed back up... the centrifical force should sort them out :2tsup:

eisbaer
9th July 2009, 06:53 PM
acetone them into submission. Or metho. Or turps? :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th July 2009, 06:53 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Mango: I can leave it or leave it. :U

ElizaLeahy
9th July 2009, 07:06 PM
I sprayed it with creepy crawly killer stuff - then I sprayed the sawdust. Then I thought about it and sprayed the lathe! Then I had to come inside because of the fumes!

Tomorrow I'll get rid of the sawdust, wipe the lathe down with a damp cloth, and reconsider the bowl! I'll probably chuck it - I mean, burn it :)

dai sensei
9th July 2009, 08:20 PM
Did you spray the timber with Borax or Boron, they are probably borers, they get in pretty quick with Mango. Also, Mango bark is not a keeper, it will separate in time.

Christos
9th July 2009, 09:05 PM
? What no picture? ?

ElizaLeahy
9th July 2009, 09:29 PM
Did you spray the timber with Borax or Boron, they are probably borers, they get in pretty quick with Mango. Also, Mango bark is not a keeper, it will separate in time.

Probably borers - they certainly bored holes in it!

Yes, the bark came off pretty quickly.

What IS a good timber for a natural edge bowl?

ElizaLeahy
9th July 2009, 09:31 PM
? What no picture? ?

Maybe tomorrow, was too late today. :)

Ed Reiss
9th July 2009, 09:45 PM
....those little buggers can crawl pretty quick, probably made a beeline for your house:o

bowl-basher
10th July 2009, 09:32 AM
Hey Eliza
Just make sure your gouge is sharp so you be-head the little critters real quick:D:D:D:D

Texian
10th July 2009, 02:28 PM
We have a similar situation with wormy mesquite (in Texas (USA)). Sharp chisel and faceshield are recommended.

Could you just clamp the lathe to the table(?) with a couple of C-clamps? Surely that would help.

TTIT
10th July 2009, 11:43 PM
........Yes, the bark came off pretty quickly.

What IS a good timber for a natural edge bowl?Most of the long-living acacias hold their bark well if you turn them green and go thin enough eg: Brigalow, Yarran, Myall, Gidgee etc. Dead-finish would be one of the best for holding bark - can't get it off with a jack hammer!!!:U

rodent
11th July 2009, 12:11 AM
I sprayed it with creepy crawly killer stuff - then I sprayed the sawdust. Then I thought about it and sprayed the lathe! Then I had to come inside because of the fumes!

Tomorrow I'll get rid of the sawdust, wipe the lathe down with a damp cloth, and reconsider the bowl! I'll probably chuck it - I mean, burn it :)
Na just do a skew . Put it into a plastic bag , tie the bag up with string ( not bag ties they are metal cored ) , and do the micro wave drying thing . Ask Skew ChiDAMN about how he goes about water and bug removal .:oo:

ElizaLeahy
11th July 2009, 12:03 PM
I think I'm the only person in Australia who doesn't have a microwave. The last one I had blew up in my face - was terrifying - so I never bought another.

Now I wish I had one - I know what I would do with this lump of burl!

As you can see I turned the smaller one first. Just as well really, considering how my lathe reacted! (No, I can't clamp it, I don't have a good table, only one of those metal stands from Bunnings)

If I had a microwave I'd hit the burl with it, and then chop it up for pens. Should be some INTERESTING bits in there!

See the bowl... when the bark came off it took a tiny bit of edge with it, so I thought bugger it, and took the lot off. So it's not a natural edge - it's a natural bottom :)

Texian
11th July 2009, 03:15 PM
Very nice little bowl.

People buy stuff for wooden hair? Just wondering.

ElizaLeahy
11th July 2009, 03:38 PM
People buy stuff for wooden hair? Just wondering.

I don't know about that. But they do buy wooden stuff for hair! Hopefully without magots in it!

Ed Reiss
11th July 2009, 07:25 PM
...now you have what's affectionately called an "art" piece...raise the price on it :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th July 2009, 08:15 PM
I don't know about that. But they do buy wooden stuff for hair! Hopefully without magots in it!

Sell them as "Monty Python" style hair-sticks.

"I'll have two hairsticks please, one without so much maggot in it."

ElizaLeahy
11th July 2009, 08:43 PM
Bev is checking it to see if any of it is selvegable this weekend.

Art piece? Sureeee....... Only problem is the amount of bug killer I sprayed on it! Toxic art piece! :)

Paul39
12th July 2009, 03:02 AM
Put it in the oven at 200F / 100C for an hour, turn off & let sit overnight.

Seal in a plastic bag & set in sun for a week.

Very pretty bowl, let it bask in the sun for days, bring it in at night. Not likely anyone will eat soup out of it. After the smell is gone, hand rub with whatever finish you use and sell it, marked "not for use with food".

I agree with Ed Reiss above.

I read a quote from a turner who said, "the more useless a piece is, the more I can get for it".

I like your new sig.