PDA

View Full Version : Design my shed

Cubjo
9th July 2009, 06:18 PM
OK...I have a small hurdle to overcome before embarking on my journey as a turner. Spoke with SWMBO this morning....told her I wanted to spend about $6000 on starting turning...she didnt raise an eye lid. I was really happy...till she said "and where is all this stuff going" um...yeah...well I was just gonna play that by ear.

Anyhow I have to have a shed built for everything to go in before buying the stuff. Which makes sense but I just wanted to jump in..buy the gear...do some turning in the back yard and build the shed when I could. But this way will work out better.

So I spoke with my builder mate across the road. We are going to build one from scratch. I thought a shed about 6mx4m should be ample. I am trying to think of down the track and not just the present moment. I will want to have the lathe in there plus enough room to upsize my lathe later on. Grinder, tools, bandsaw (or triton workcentre), dust extractor...and this is where you guys come in. If you could go back and build a purpose built shed for turning how would you do it and what considerations would you take into account. I can go bigger in dimensions as I have ample room in the backyard. but to go bigger I would need to be able to justify the extra room. What else should I consider....wood storage, possibility of going further with wood work than just turning....please throw some ideas around.

I have looked at the thread "show us your shed" and I really like what a lot of you have done and would love the setup a lot of you have.

Anyhow this is getting kinda long so I will stop and hope to hear some ideas.

Best regards
Rob

RETIRED
9th July 2009, 06:54 PM
Don't start!!! Once you do there is no turning (pun intended) back. Sheds are like weeds, they have to get bigger.:D

Ed Reiss
9th July 2009, 10:01 PM
yes...you will need wood storage space
yes...you will add more tools as time goes on
yes...the 12 x 18 foot building will seem to be like a closet
yes...larger is better
yes...you might need to take on a second (or even third) job to pay for the hobby

and lastly, NO...the buying never ends:C...welcome to the wonderful world of woodturning.

terry arnold
9th July 2009, 10:24 PM
:wts:

Rob

build the biggest shed you can because it will end up being to small.
Believe me just starting shed number 3

Good luck
Terry

Ashes
9th July 2009, 10:46 PM
Rob,
if the good meaning and knowlegable guys in this forum have convinced you to spend $6k setting up a quality woodturning operation....imagine the $'s they are going to make you spend on a shed:oo::oo:

Big is good.....bigger is better:2tsup:

cheers,
Brian

HazzaB
9th July 2009, 11:17 PM
Hey Rob,

Like they all said, Bigger is better, I just built a 9 x 6 Shed and it is already too small, I am spreading out from a single car garage to the 9 x 6 and I am having trouble getting every thing in:oo:. When you move into your shed make sure that you can change things around, you will move most things at least once. unless you do a lot of prior arranging, there is a thread somewhere in the forum that has a design function, it might even be in Google Sketch Up, just make sure that you have room for in feed and out feed on table saws etc. Most important some of the not so often used machines should be on rollers so they are only out and in the road when needed. Good luck and I hope that SWMBO doesn't lose her ability to not raise an eyelid when you need more bits and toys.

HazzaB

Ashes
9th July 2009, 11:43 PM
Some tips for a very good shed

- the biggest you can get away with
- plenty of power points
- points on all walls
- a couple of external weatherproof points
- put in a few suspended points for equipment in the middle of the room
- mostly 10A points but put in a couple of 15A points
- if possible, 3 phase power. Really will depend on whether it is available (I ran 3ph to my shed from the house but haven't got 3ph from the street to the house yet due to the cost..one day!!). Some great 3ph gear out there that is relatively cheap.
- lots of lighting - dont skimp here
- I divided my shed to include a storeroom. Plenty of shelves and keeps the dust off the tools. Also lockable!!
- line and insulate it and I'm guessing for Tassie, think about heating it.
- a roller door or wide opening doors are good as it gives you good outfeed options for a saw
- think about dust extraction. Allow for ducting to an external dust extractor.

probably enough for now..

Kev Y.
10th July 2009, 11:40 AM
I am nearing the completion of my new workshop. 8mX6m. 1 PA door and a rollerdoor.

Have at least 10 double powerpoints around the wall, 1 hanging power point from the ceiling. two double fluro lights in the centre of the work area and a single fluro over where I want my work bench.

I have insulated and lined the walls with plaster board. Attached a retractable air hose to one support, and am still to fit up my dust extraction.

Also I have sealed the floor with a good quality poly floor sealer.

Pictures wwill be posted of the final product, on mondat I am planning to dig the trench to take the stormwater and electricity supply.

wally peat
10th July 2009, 12:04 PM
Rob, I moved my gear from underneath the house (old queenslander) to a 6m x 7.5m shed, and yes, there is never enough space, but if I had that choice again, I would have built longer and narrower to make better use of the space. It's great to have a big open area in the middle when I want to bring a big project (like a boat) into the shed, but it restricts the number of workstations I can set up around the sides. That said, I've gone and built another 6m lean to off the back to store timber (and spare boats) so you will need to make some firm decisions on what you want to do in the shed and structure things around that plan. (then the mice will take over and your plan will be a fond memory).

The only other thing I'd say is go for as much natural light as possible. All the flouros in the world won't make up for the clarity of sunlight when you are working in three dimensions. You are in Tassie and I'm in NQ, so you have the opposite climate control issues to me, but you still have to work out your airflow for dust control. Up here it's the whirlybird extractors in the roof and two bloody big roller doors for crossflow with the prevailing breezes, but however you manage it, natural extraction of air (and dust) will make all those mechanical devices that save your lungs much more effective. Good luck, and don't imagine the shed will cost as little as what you put in it.

munruben
10th July 2009, 12:30 PM
6x4 meters will be ample space for what you intend to use it for but like the other guys have said, it wont end there. You will find, as time goes on, your shed will shrink. God luck with your new adventure.:2tsup:

Texian
10th July 2009, 02:47 PM
Rob,
You are doing well by trying to get as much advice as possible before starting. Have built four shops (sheds) in past ~30 years, and did my own electrical wiring in three of them (which saved a LOT of money). The most basic piece of advice might be to design the building so that you can easily ADD ON to one end of it in future. Could write several pages of suggestions, but many of my suggestions might not apply to your location, but that first one will.

rotten_66
10th July 2009, 03:23 PM
OK...I have a small hurdle to overcome before embarking on my journey as a turner. Spoke with SWMBO this morning....told her I wanted to spend about $6000 on starting turning...she didnt raise an eye lid.

No offense but can I borrow her!!

Mine would have absolute kittens:o:o

texx
10th July 2009, 07:34 PM
No offense but can I borrow her!!

Mine would have absolute kittens:o:o
i was thinking along the same lines as you , i wonder if she has a twin sister

Cubjo
11th July 2009, 11:02 AM
hahaha...that was definetly a slip up...it was meant to be $1000....not sure how I got $6000....must of been wishful thinking on my behalf :D

also that $1000 isnt inclusing the shed....so still reason to love her :D

bellyup
11th July 2009, 02:04 PM
2 Points:

1 - Allow extra space for mystery boxes that appear in the doorway with note attached
" Put this somewhere will you darling? I don't need it inside anymore"
2 - If it is at all possible, place the dust extractor unit outside to reduce dust and noise. Place an on/off switch next to the lathe.

pitbull
12th July 2009, 12:20 PM
There is no such thing as too big when it comes to sheds. :doh:
Kev, who has 3 sheds now, and still needs more room. :~ :;